• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Goldsmith had 61 people on Lonely are The Brave. That's not counting the guitarist and accordionist
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    ChrK wrote
    PS: Timmer, call me Chris again, and I'll show you some volcanic rage... cool

You mean like THIS?

-Erik-

Well he did warn the guy. punk

lol

Dante's Peak's the more realistic film? I thought so too, though I have no volcanic knowledge whatsoever.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. I wonder where did they take the idea of a volcano erupting from the middle of a lake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009
    keky wrote
    I've been listening Poledouris, too:

Les Miserables

And maybe I'm the only one but I love that the score is edited onto suites instead many short tracks.

Well, if there was some actually editing I might have agreed with you. However, what happened was that 4 or 5 cues were lumped into the same track with a few seconds of space between each cue. And the timings of each track on the back art is wrong as well. What a terribly produced album. BTW, if you are ever interesting in separating the individual cues here is how I DID IT!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Thanks for the cue listing, Erik! Yes, I noticed that the timings are all wrong. But it is not an individual case, I know at least one another score album where they gave completely wrong timings, and that is Chiara e Francesco by Marco Frisina. The album has 21 tracks and according to the timings on the back cover of the CD and in the booklet it should be about 30 minutes long. Instead, it is a 55 minutes long album. I mean, it does make a difference!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Suite from the Reivers - John Williams

Simply classic!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  3. keky wrote
    Thanks for the cue listing, Erik! Yes, I noticed that the timings are all wrong. But it is not an individual case, I know at least one another score album where they gave completely wrong timings, and that is Chiara e Francesco by Marco Frisina. The album has 21 tracks and according to the timings on the back cover of the CD and in the booklet it should be about 30 minutes long. Instead, it is a 55 minutes long album. I mean, it does make a difference!

How about the original Varese Robocop release? None of the printed track times match. But that's about the only flaw with that album luckily. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009 edited
    NP: Mission Impossible - Alan Silvestri

I'm a fan of this score. I don't think it would have worked in the movie, but it's still good music. The synth work and percussion is dated (even for the time), but it's kinda charming.. The orchestral portion and thematic materials are still good.
  4. Well, as a certain rotong record producer cited in an FSM post, the bootleg is missing some orchestra overlays, so what we are hearing isn't he whole shabang.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    justin boggan wrote
    Well, as a certain rotong (sp: rotund?) record producer cited in an FSM post, the bootleg is missing some orchestra overlays, so what we are hearing isn't he whole shabang (shebang?) .

Yeah, I read those postings as well.
  5. rotong producer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Rotong: famous Indonesian dish consisting of roasted 4 month old penguin tongues.
    Quite the delicacy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. I did not sleep last night.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. NP: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE --- JAMES HANNIGAN

Just to get a taste of some real Harry Potter music, ahh cool
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    I did not sleep last night.

Too much rotong?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Special OST 1+2 - Shigeaki Saegusa

Oh my, what pretty themes, that dated synth work, that swingin' orchestra, how I adore thee.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Oh boy! Reading Martijn's post, his signature, and Justin's post puts it all in the right sequence!

Rotong: famous Indonesian dish consisting of roasted 4 month old penguin tongues.
    Quite the delicacy.
    Since morning, i am mentally disturbed.
  8. And then you add a "Quantum Leap" "Oh boy!". Might as well give a "CHiPs" thumbs up and finish being uses in the thread.
  9. BhelPuri wrote
    Oh boy! Reading Martijn's post, his signature, and Justin's post puts it all in the right sequence!

Quite the delicacy.
    Since morning, i am mentally disturbed.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Aliens in the Attic - John Debney

First listen. So, who will he be ripping off this time? Ah... Danny Elfman.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS - Georges Delerue

Lovely, pseudo-Tudor feel to this track cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ONE FROM THE HEART - Tom Waits

Also featuring the vocals of Crystal Gayle, this one has long been a favourite of mine, a brilliant song score album that is maybe better suited to a very late chilled out night but is sounding mighty fine right now on this cool summers evening.

Truly lovely. love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. NP: Battlestar Galactica 4 (Bear McCreary)

My attachment to the series helps, but I'll call this the best album I've heard this year. Old music or new. 'Goodbye Sam', 'Into the Sun' and 'So Much Life' make for an incredibly emotional trifecta on the second album.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Battlestar Galactica 4 (Bear McCreary)

My attachment to the series helps, but I'll call this the best album I've heard this year. Old music or new. 'Goodbye Sam', 'Into the Sun' and 'So Much Life' make for an incredibly emotional trifecta on the second album.

I'm only 4 episodes into season 4 so I don't want to hear this music before I see it! Plus, I'm avoiding track names and liner note spoilers. Argh! I have the album sitting right here in front of me begging me to spin it... but I have to resist!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. NP: Journey of Natty Gann (Horner)

Perhaps I should have listened to this before calling BSG the album of the year! No, just kidding, but it is very good. (BSG probably isn't the album of the year either, but sometimes enthusiasm takes hold! wink ) It's nice and short, and I wonder if that's part of why it has been such a breath of fresh air for people.

There are a couple of tracks where I have to wonder if Jimmy might have heard a bit of Goldsmith's LEGEND. (Or maybe they both were drawing from a common source?) Those folky strings are a very similar sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009
    NP: Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 - McCreary

My CD player is running hot with this one!
    Both discs contain the results of an incredible musical evolution that peaks in perfection.
    Not only can you hear all the character themes in fully rounded incarnations, you can now go back to all the other BSG albums and enjoy the development of each of these musical ideas from their infancy.
    These scores for McCreary's BSG is the television equivalent of Shore's The Lord Of The Rings in terms of thematic development and depth of musical ideas. Although very, very different in style obviously.
    For me Season 4 is definitely the very best BSG release. And I didn't think they could top season 3!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    There are a couple of tracks where I have to wonder if Jimmy might have heard a bit of Goldsmith's LEGEND. (Or maybe they both were drawing from a common source?) Those folky strings are a very similar sound.

I didn't notice that. Was Natty Gann really from after Legend? (I can't be bothered to look that up.) I got the impression there was a lot of Bernstein in the temp-track. Having listened to Bernstein's rejected score recently, Horner delivered a much better timeless Bernstein-style score than Bernstein himself did, really.
  12. Atham wrote
    NP: Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 - McCreary

My CD player is running hot with this one!
    Both discs contain the results of an incredible musical evolution that peaks in perfection.
    Not only can you hear all the character themes in fully rounded incarnations, you can now go back to all the other BSG albums and enjoy the development of each of these musical ideas from their infancy.
    These scores for McCreary's BSG is the television equivalent of Shore's The Lord Of The Rings in terms of thematic development and depth of musical ideas. Although very, very different in style obviously.
    For me Season 4 is definitely the very best BSG release. And I didn't think they could top season 3!

I think 3 is probably the better album for me, still. Here, at a double cd, there isn't exactly anything you would call 'filler', but the larger scale action tracks (e.g. 'Attack on the Colony') don't touch 'Storming New Caprica' and 'Mandala in the Clouds', and season 3 had the two best emotional setpiece cues of the series ('Deathbed and Maelstrom', 'Violence and Variations').
  13. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I didn't notice that. Was Natty Gann really from after Legend? (I can't be bothered to look that up.) I got the impression there was a lot of Bernstein in the temp-track. Having listened to Bernstein's rejected score recently, Horner delivered a much better timeless Bernstein-style score than Bernstein himself did, really.

They're both from the same year, and LEGEND was rejected too, so I don't think it's copying. They're looking to a common source. It's those fiddle arpeggiations that appear in (I think) LEGEND's 'Faerie Dance'.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Journey of Natty Gann (Horner)

Did I hear a " Great minds think alike" here? smile A most enjoyable CD. This year has been great in old scores being released. Don't you think?

NP Bounce Mychael Danna

The upbeat one from his body of work. It started this morning with Green Dragon so I name this day, the official Mychael Danna day! This composer adapt himself so well to every film he is involved with. Gifted indeed.