• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jeunet asked Zimmer personally to score it, actually. It was a scheduling conflict. The same happened with Sin City. Zimmer turned him down due to schedule, he asked Elfman, who told Rodriguez to score it himself. So he got joined by Debney and Revell.

So Rodriguez wanted Zimmer, but ended up with doing it himself with Debney and Revell. Interesting. There was an interview with Robert Rodriguez where he had mentioned that Hans suggested that he should write music for his own movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    But of course! To really enjoy any fantasy adventure one must dispell disbelief, in reality we know ( well, some of us do wink ) that a car can't outrun a pyroclastic flow, people don't melt feet up in lava etc and just as we know that in reality the likes of an Indiana Jones or a James Bond could not continuously take bone crushing blows and knocks and dodge bullets.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jeunet asked Zimmer personally to score it, actually. It was a scheduling conflict. The same happened with Sin City. Zimmer turned him down due to schedule, he asked Elfman, who told Rodriguez to score it himself. So he got joined by Debney and Revell.

So Rodriguez wanted Zimmer, but ended up with doing it himself with Debney and Revell. Interesting. There was an interview with Robert Rodriguez where he had mentioned that Hans suggested that he should write music for his own movie.

One of a few rare occasions where it's a shame Hans didn't take charge.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. What would realistically happen if a person got into lava?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Maybe it was indeed Zimmer who told him to score Sin City himself. Elfman might have done that on Spy Kids.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What would realistically happen if a person got into lava?

Yes, I can just imagine someone taking thier shoes off and rolling up thier trousers and dipping a toe in.... wink
  3. OK, OK, but really? Were there accounted cases of people falling into lava?
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Well sometimes there are invisible gasses along with the lava that are deathly hot. This was the case with volcano researcher Maurice Krafft.

"I have seen so many eruptions in the last 20 years that I don't care if I die tomorrow."
    Maurice Krafft (Volcanologist) on the day before he was killed on Unzen Volcano, Japan 1991.
  4. And his wife, yeah, I've just read about it smile
  5. NP: Great Expectations (Patrick Doyle)

A near-favourite for me among Doyle's scores. It's an odd comparison, but in much the way Dances with Wolves felt like a composer with a new lease on life (as it was, given Barry's medical history), so too this feels like someone who wants to try everything in one score. Both lead melodies are among his best.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Magnificent Seven - Elmer Bernstein

Great classic score! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Twilight - Carter Burwell

About only four to five tracks are worth hearing, but those four to five certainly are chilling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009 edited
    JP: THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY - Jerry Goldsmith
    This Goldsmith-discovery certainly is paying off, and this is only the first of the received Goldsmith scores to get into it. A perfect blend of the waltz-like comedic scoring and good ol' themes, this certainly plays like a classic and fun adventure score. Sure, its short and probably lacking in scope, but I'm slowly getting to understand the huge following this Goldsmith guy has. Of course I already knew the Omens, Mummies and 13th Warriors (of which I thought the latter a little overrated, also knowing what Graeme Revell did with it) but am starting to 'understand' it more now) but never got into his career. Great thing to discover!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    William wrote
    NP: Twilight - Carter Burwell

About only four to five tracks are worth hearing, but those four to five certainly are chilling.

Boy am I glad Desplat is on the second one. Not that I have anything against Burwell, but as you said, four or five tracks...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009 edited
    NP: HAPPY FEET - John Powell

Still far from my favourite, but I think I've finally accepted the fact this really is a great score.

Meanwhile, I watched Paycheck on blu ray last night, and boy, what an insanely fun, exciting sci-fi action score that is. It's always been in my top 3 Powell scores, but I discovered new found appreciation for it yesterday. A 44 minute soundtrack isn't enough; that score is perfect all the way through. Want.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    For a film called Happy Feet, the score is surprisingly emotional and sad at times, but it is one of my favorite John Powell scores.

NP: Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End - Hans Zimmer

I'm not enjoying it as much as I used to slant But I still like it a lot biggrin
  6. BobdH wrote
    JP: THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY - Jerry Goldsmith
    This Goldsmith-discovery certainly is paying off, and this is only the first of the received Goldsmith scores to get into it. A perfect blend of the waltz-like comedic scoring and good ol' themes, this certainly plays like a classic and fun adventure score. Sure, its short and probably lacking in scope, but I'm slowly getting to understand the huge following this Goldsmith guy has. Of course I already knew the Omens, Mummies and 13th Warriors (of which I thought the latter a little overrated, also knowing what Graeme Revell did with it) but am starting to 'understand' it more now) but never got into his career. Great thing to discover!

What's great about Jerry Goldsmith is that he can be a discovery indeed. He surely was for me. I started my film score listening in 1996 and got my first Goldsmith score around 4 years later (it was The Edge, which I loved in the movie, and I also used the fact that the store was closing, so it was a serious discount). Then came things like Total Recall and others. Now I am heavily enjoying Goldsmith's style with his idiosyncrasies, like bold brass hits, odd meters, great old-fashioned themes.

Most recently I've listened A LOT to Lonely are the Brave, which is a creative early (1962! his first MAJOR project) outing from the Maestro.
  7. Oh, and I do like the Revell score for Eaters of the Dead.
  8. Basil Poledouris - Lonesome Dove

Pure beauty. Minimal ensemble, great theme, emotional performance, just beauty. I don't think of many other film composer who'd get such a lush sound from a 50-piece orchestra, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009 edited
    OK, who wants a volcanologist's take on these two films? wink

Reminds me to go looking for the letter I got from Katia Krafft's mother back in the early 90s when I'm home for Xmas this year. sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009
    Me! Yes please Chris, please do. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    Alrighty, then:

Volcano is the typical brainless Hollywoodisation of a natural disaster. There's not an ounce of credibility for me in this movie. Firstly, the LA area, albeit geologically active, is not a volcanic setting. Hot sulfur eruptions in the subway? No seismic activity warning scientists about what's going on days in advance? FIREBALLS?! I was 'ARGHing' all over the place when I watched that movie.

However, it has the better score. ;0

Dante's Peak...while there are still a couple of things that don't make complete sense (a lava fountain AND pyroclastic flow? That volcano's a genius to be able to do both at the same time! shocked ). As far as I know, real USGS scientists were involved, and most of the dangers a volcano poses were portrayed quite realistically. It's definitely much closer to what volcanoes can do and often do and that it's not a lava flow that poses the biggest threat to people and their property. Also quite well done were the economical implications and how decision-making is a very political affair, with many parties and opinions involved. And the main character portrayed by Pierce Brosnan isn't too far removed from an actual volcanologist, either.

More on demand and by PM, I'd say. I don't wanna hijack this thread.

And I'm playing Philip Glass's The Hours right now. Wonderfully relaxing work! ****½

Ta & tata,
    CK

PS: Timmer, call me Chris again, and I'll show you some volcanic rage... cool
  9. ChrK wrote
    Alrighty, then:

Volcano is the typical brainless Hollywoodisation of a natural disaster. There's not an ounce of credibility for me in this movie. Firstly, the LA area, albeit geologically active, is not a volcanic setting. Hot sulfur eruptions in the subway? No seismic activity warning scientists about what's going on days in advance? FIREBALLS?! I was 'ARGHing' all over the place when I watched that movie.

However, it has the better score. ;0

Dante's Peak...while there are still a couple of things that don't make complete sense (a lava fountain AND pyroclastic flow? That volcano's a genius to be able to do both at the same time! shocked ). As far as I know, real USGS scientists were involved, and most of the dangers a volcano poses were portrayed quite realistically. It's definitely much closer to what volcanoes can do and often do and that it's not a lava flow that poses the biggest threat to people and their property. Also quite well done were the economical implications and how decision-making is a very political affair, with many parties and opinions involved. And the main character portrayed by Pierce Brosnan isn't too far removed from an actual volcanologist, either.

More on demand and by PM, I'd say. I don't wanna hijack this thread.

And I'm playing Philip Glass's The Hours right now. Wonderfully relaxing work! ****½

Ta & tata,
    CK

You can create a special thread in Off-Topic too smile. I'd be more interested in health effects of volcanoes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ChrK wrote

You mean like THIS?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay CK shame wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Basil Poledouris - Lonesome Dove

Pure beauty. Minimal ensemble, great theme, emotional performance, just beauty.

My fave Basil! Incredibly moving work. This one and Amerika come close together.

Played a while back...

Alexandre Desplat - Reston Groupes
    That doubles the list of mehs by Desplat. Nothing much to write about this. Filed along with Reines d'un Jour

Laura Karpman - Taken
    Lovely. So awesome to see a score like this for a sci-fi/emotional drama! There are clear, bold pieces for the epic-ness and moving themes too. Bravo Laura!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP(all day): Drag Me To Hell - Young
    Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - Horner
    Lonely Are The Brave - Goldsmith
    Battlestar (season 4) - McCreary

All so different from each other. But all completely amazing releases from the past few weeks!
    Love them all! cool
  10. My favorite cues from the 40 track bootleg of "Holy Man" -- to see if the hole in the recording medium on the CD affected any of my favorite tracks.

One of my absolute favorite Silvestri scores. Wish this would get a complete release.

After that comes Chrsitophe Beck's "Under the tuscan Sun", for review.

Another fucking night of being wide awake and unable to sleep.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Basil Poledouris - Lonesome Dove

Pure beauty. Minimal ensemble, great theme, emotional performance, just beauty. I don't think of many other film composer who'd get such a lush sound from a 50-piece orchestra, really.

Yep, this one is fantastic - my favourite by Poledouris. I don't think many of today's composers would have a clue how to make a 50-piece orchestra sound big like Poledouris did in this - but a few decades ago I think it was more common. People like North and Herrmann frequently scored for 10-20 players and made it sound like a full orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I've been listening Poledouris, too:

Les Miserables

I have to admit that when I first heard this score I didn't particularly liked or enjoyed it. I decided to give it another chance last year and from that time on it's just been getting better and better. Great, epic and emotional melodies with nice, subdued ones, some moments give me the goosebumps.
    And maybe I'm the only one but I love that the score is edited onto suites instead many short tracks.