• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Didn't realise that. So is the worldwide DVD the American version?

I think so. I haven't looked into it yet.

NP: Krull (Horner)

I've been revisting some Horner this morning. This and Spitfire Grill. Both good works.

I prefer Spitfire Grill, actually. I have to get back to it soon.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

I've been revisting some Horner this morning. This and Spitfire Grill. Both good works.

KRRRRRUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

I prefer Spitfire Grill, actually. I have to get back to it soon.

Stop talking nonsense!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love Spitfire Grill!

Though obviously Krull conquers all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited
    Old Chinese proverb say when person realise brilliance of Horner's Krull score then person can consider person is no longer idiot.

Yes, Spitfire Grill is damn fine score too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith

Great animation score by Jerry Goldsmith! beer punk
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Southall wrote
    I love Spitfire Grill!

Me too. Especially, solo piano, which really haunts me like anything. Its very emotional, moving and beautiful score by James Horner. beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sunil wrote
    Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith

Great animation score by Jerry Goldsmith! beer punk

Which version are you listening to, the OST or promo? The promo has a wealth of unreleased music and is a must-check out! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    The Emperor's Club - James Newton Howard

This short score is something that cannot be talked much about: a not too typical Howard style, but still, a pleasant listen.

...and while at pleasant listens, I also listened to

Miss Potter - Nigel Westlake and Rachel Portman

I have to admit that I was doing other things while listening to this score and it just flew by. Only a couple of moments grabbed my attention. Nice music, but nothing special.

...and while at rachel Portman, I also listened to

The Duchess - Rachel Portman

It's the best of the three scores. And one of Portman's bests, too. I absolutely love the two main themes and that the overall sound of the score is not totally Portman-like. It is a bit deeper and more moving music than her usual stuff.
  2. Gremlins (Jerry Goldsmith)

One of the better sounding bootlegs out there, hiss aside. If only they would officially release this magical gem, such a fun-filled creative piece of work, where Goldsmith could let his inspiration loose. How can one not fall in love with the emotional Gizmo's theme? Or the wonderfully playful theme for Billy? And how about the totally wacky music for when those little monsters go about rampaging the town? How about the utterly cool motif for Stripe, the leader? How about that dated but oh so unmissable synth sound that's mixed to perfection with the orchestra? There are so much cool ideas going on here and it all adds to the fun that is Gremlins. If they'd ever release it, they should definitely use this track list. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    keky wrote
    The Emperor's Club - James Newton Howard

This short score is something that cannot be talked much about: a not too typical Howard style, but still, a pleasant listen.

This score was previously known as Scent of a Woman and composed by Thomas Newman. It's so similar - a real Tyler Bates moment for JNH.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Dragonball Evolution - Brian Tyler

A few annoying tracks on an overall pretty good action score ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  3. E.T. The Extra-terrestrial- original LP sequence - John Williams

I've had the '96 disc since release and picked up a copy of the '02 release on the cheap recently. I just received the MCA CD of the original album recording and I'm finding it to be a revelation. I've never heard this recording before outside of the "Over the Moon" and "Flying" tracks which I have on the "Filmworks" compilation. The arrangements and performance on this disc are superb, I adore the arrangement of "E.T. and Me". I think this is going to get many more spins than the film tracks from now on!

I also prefer the original album of "Jaws", I hardly ever listen to the film tracks on the Decca release. I prefer it because of the arrangements but is it true Williams also used a larger orchestra for this recording? And above even the the original album versions I prefer "The shark cage fugue" on "The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration" Boston Pops disc and the "Jaws Theme" on his "The Hollywood sound" disc, what a finale for both tracks!

I love how Williams is one of the few composers who still records a few "concert arrangements" of key themes for inclusion on most of his albums. Other than "Dracula" and "The Fury" are there any other scores for which Williams recorded separate album versions?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm the same John, I always return to the "original" Williams re-record of E.T., one of the best film music albums ever IMO.
  4. NP: PONYO -- Joe Hisaishi

because everybody's raving about it wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Timmer wrote
    I'm the same John, I always return to the "original" Williams re-record of E.T., one of the best film music albums ever IMO.

I'm only familiar with the 1996 expanded release, which I find brilliant. How much better is the one you're talking about I wonder?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm only familiar with the 1996 expanded release, which I find brilliant. How much better is the one you're talking about I wonder?

Concert arrangements of major cues and themes with a short running. And if I'm not mitaken contains the film version of Escape/Chae/Saying Goodbye which is NOT on the two expanded releases.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. And if I'm not mitaken contains the film version of Escape/Chae/Saying Goodbye which is NOT on the two expanded releases.

-Erik-

How interesting Erik, do you mean that for the film they used the album recording or that this is the same composition, but they used a version recorded at the same sessions as the rest of the film tracks? Or were the album tracks and film tracks recorded at the same sessions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    John Chambers wrote
    And if I'm not mitaken contains the film version of Escape/Chae/Saying Goodbye which is NOT on the two expanded releases.

-Erik-

How interesting Erik, do you mean that for the film they used the album recording or that this is the same composition, but they used a version recorded at the same sessions as the rest of the film tracks? Or were the album tracks and film tracks recorded at the same sessions?

Album and "re-recording" were recorded at the same time. As for the film version of "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye" the only difference that I've heard is that on the MCA original album the triangle"twinkling" when E.T. lifts the bikers to safety is there (6:55) but on the expanded editions the triangle is NOT there. It's a small thing but it added a bit of magic to that moment that is missed on the expanded editions.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SPHERE - Elliot Goldenthal

Exceptional.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SPHERE - Elliot Goldenthal

Exceptional.

I played this recently and I can't believe how fast this album flys by. I'm sure there some great cues that were left off the album but for a classic 30 minute Varese CD release this is one exceptionally produced album.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah. it is short but I find it a perfect listen, a classic indeed.

NP : SPECIES - Christopher Young

This follows on quite nicely from the Goldenthal album cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh what to play?.....Something completely different!!

NP : THE THIEF WHO CAME TO DINNER - Henry Mancini

FSM have hit the ground running this year with two great Mancini scores ( the other being Nightwing ), lush warm scoring, very much in 1970's Mancini vein....I love love
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    The Man in the Iron Mask by Nick Glennie-Smith. Four stars on a good day. There is some remarkably beautiful writing in this score, which, of course, off-set by more MV-RC-style sound.

That Glennie-Smith guy showed a lot of promise ten years ago. Pity that it kinda went nowhere.

CK
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Concert arrangements of major cues and themes with a short running. And if I'm not mitaken contains the film version of Escape/Chae/Saying Goodbye which is NOT on the two expanded releases.

-Erik-

I'll tell you what... that cue is one of Williams's absolute best. Whoever decided "Escape / Chase / Saying Goodbye" is a better title for it than "Adventures on Earth" should be shot.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DEADFALL - John Barry

Perfect listening in the twilight on this hot night.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

I'll tell you what... that cue is one of Williams's absolute best. Whoever decided "Escape / Chase / Saying Goodbye" is a better title for it than "Adventures on Earth" should be shot.

The same guy who thought that including the original Desert Chase LP edit in the Indy Box Set was a good idea... Laurent Bouzereau.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Eric wrote
    Dragonball Evolution - Brian Tyler

A few annoying tracks on an overall pretty good action score ...

I enjoy this score a lot. I even enjoy the electronic tracks most of you dislike.

NP: Dragonball Evolution - Bryan Tyler

You put me in the mood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    Erik Woods wrote

The same guy who thought that including the original Desert Chase LP edit in the Indy Box Set was a good idea... Laurent Bouzereau.

-Erik-

Larry Bozo in my lists... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mission: Impossible III - Michael Giacchino

Such enjoyable music.