• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Papillon - Jerry Goldsmith

Goldsmith at the peak of his powers with his unbeatable 70's orchestration!

And this one is truly great. One of the finest film scores.

I really have to get into it some more. I bought and heard it last year for the first time. The underscore I still have to explore but the themes are again a product of a brilliant mind.

Which leads me to:

A Beautiful Mind (James Horner)

Another dramatic highlight by Horner, I like Charlotte's Church contribution in the score. It sure isn't original by a longshot but boy is it beautiful. Say what you will Horner and his many rips, but the man can write truly lyrical themes and uses them in fantastic ways. Maybe the album is a bit overlong though, a good 50 minute presentation would have worked wonders here.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    John Chambers wrote

I really have to get into it some more. I bought and heard it last year for the first time. The underscore I still have to explore but the themes are again a product of a brilliant mind.

I'm going to go with a controversial opinion here, but although Papillon is a great score, it doesn't really make a great album.... or at least a particularly enjoyable one, especial in respect to many other great Goldsmith scores. As I hinted, I could easily live with just that concert version.
  1. Inchon (Jerry Goldsmith)

Hey an another recently discovered gem. The movie may have gone completely under the radar for me, but what a score accompanies it, and I didn't anything about it !!! So happy my brother had me draw my attention to this. beer

I seriously adore the action rhythm with the peculiar percussion best heard in the track 'The Bridge'. His main theme is another classic. And the suspense music is simply superb. If I did know this information in 2006 I would've gotten the limited Intrada album, without hesitation. Same goes for Night Crossing, another one I missed. Any chance they'd ever release these again?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Wasn't Inchon a Sun Myung Moon financed version of MacArthur?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. NP: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA SEASON 3 --- Bear McCreary
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. And?
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    And?

Diverse smile
    And some really lovely pieces, but I haven't gotten to the end yet
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    John Chambers wrote

I'm going to go with a controversial opinion here, but although Papillon is a great score, it doesn't really make a great album.... or at least a particularly enjoyable one, especial in respect to many other great Goldsmith scores. As I hinted, I could easily live with just that concert version.

Controversial indeed! Papillon is my #1 favourite film music album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    And?

Diverse smile

It really is diverse, a big change compared with the Season 1 album. smile
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    And?

Diverse smile

It really is diverse, a big change compared with the Season 1 album. smile

but that first album still holds the best track there is smile
  7. Which one?

My favorite tracks are on Season 2 - Something Dark Is Coming and One Year Later.

Action-wise - of course Storming New Caprica.
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    Which one?

My favorite tracks are on Season 2 - Something Dark Is Coming and One Year Later.

The Shape of Things to Come wink
  9. I'm actually listening to my favorite tracks at this very moment smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

Controversial indeed! Papillon is my #1 favourite film music album.

Really? Hmm... suppose I better give it a proper listen again. (I doubt my opinion will change, but we'll see. I'm quite fickle.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Have you seen the film Steven?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep. Love it, and I love the score in the film. Don't get me wrong, I like it as an album for the most part... but I can't say I've ever felt compelled to listen to it that often.

The concert version gives me goosebumps, I can't help but whack up the volume when it comes on. (Rest assured I will listen to the album soon... I'm a Goldsmith nut, so this isn't some random album.)
  10. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Which one?

The Shape of Things to Come wink

There's a man after my heart. 'Violence and Variations' comes as close as they were ever going to come to revisiting that track in season 3, and adds in a gorgeous love theme too.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    Various (arr. Gregg Nestor) - You Must Remember This Too

Oh no! No! No! No! sad This is totally not the kind of music I like. Or should I say the arrangements, since I do like some of the film versions. My mistake. I should have paid closer attention to the samples. This does nothing for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    Alan Menken's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I wish Menken had written more scores of this magnitude. And without the seemingly unavoidable comedy songs. ****
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BhelPuri wrote
    Various (arr. Gregg Nestor) - You Must Remember This Too

Oh no! No! No! No! sad This is totally not the kind of music I like. Or should I say the arrangements, since I do like some of the film versions. My mistake. I should have paid closer attention to the samples. This does nothing for me.

shocked

I had a totally opposite reaction. I love it when music, especially film music is presented in this very creative and unique way.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. What style of music is it?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  12. Guitar arrangements of film scores. More or less.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    John Chambers wrote

Well, everyone's different, so if you don't like it so much then there's no problem there. There are lots of things I like which others don't, and vice versa. When I was younger I used to think that by posting "I love this!" on a messageboard, then instantly everybody would see the light. After a particularly bruising discussion with someone about Mission to Mars, I saw the light myself and grew up!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very true James, those early days could be quite crushing!

About Mission To Mars....YOU were right and 'whoever' was wrong.

FACT!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Yep. Love it, and I love the score in the film. Don't get me wrong, I like it as an album for the most part... but I can't say I've ever felt compelled to listen to it that often.

The concert version gives me goosebumps, I can't help but whack up the volume when it comes on. (Rest assured I will listen to the album soon... I'm a Goldsmith nut, so this isn't some random album.)

I think it's one of Goldsmith's most listenable albums, like James I think the score is totally brilliant both in the film and as an album but I can ( kind of ) see where you're coming from, for me it's hard to hear the score outside of my own box, it's just too ingrained into my psyche.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote

About Mission To Mars....YOU were right and 'whoever' was wrong.

FACT!!!!

Seconded! I'm glad I bought that based on your review. I didn't like it initially and put it away. I came back to it a couple of years later and whoah... the beauty appeareth!

For the first 4 years of my listening to scores (I started in 2001) MovieWave was my only compass in the world of film scores. Grazie per la recommendazione!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BASIC INSTINCT - Jerry Goldsmith

A classic.
  13. Comparring to old boots of "Total Recall" (International, and Dark Sith boots) to the expanded CD to see if anything is missing (so far, it appears so) and this has rearrimed for me again what I knew when I first listened to this score: I hate it

Basil not scoring it was a mistake.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Comparring to old boots of "Total Recall" (International, and Dark Sith boots) to the expanded CD to see if anything is missing (so far, it appears so) and this has rearrimed for me again what I knew when I first listened to this score: I hate it

Basil not scoring it was a mistake.

hey... yeah you... come here... shhhh... i have to tell you something.... ready... symphonette #2... that is all.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    ChrK wrote
    Alan Menken's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I wish Menken had written more scores of this magnitude. And without the seemingly unavoidable comedy songs. ****

Agreed, a really great score. The Orffian choral action music is really awesome!