• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Various (arr. Gregg Nestor) - You Must Remember This Too

shocked

I had a totally opposite reaction. I love it when music, especially film music is presented in this very creative and unique way.

-Erik-

To me it sounds very bland. The guitar played this way just puts me to sleep.
    Blasphemy I know, with the Rozsa and all. But that's what it does to me. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    Comparring to old boots of "Total Recall" (International, and Dark Sith boots) to the expanded CD to see if anything is missing (so far, it appears so) and this has rearrimed for me again what I knew when I first listened to this score: I hate it

Basil not scoring it was a mistake.

I'm sure Basil would have written a nice score but Goldsmith's is incredible. I wonder if it's the last time he really went to town and did something so complex. I guess you could probably argue Basic Instinct was, a couple of years later.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I was playing:End Credits from Ice Age 3

Brillitant, superb, one of Powell's finest tracks!

Do you think i'm over reacting?

Nope, it is. The new themes for IA3 are fantastic.

I'm completely addicted to the new themes. When it comes to creating good themes, Powell is definitely one of the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Various (arr. Gregg Nestor) - You Must Remember This Too

shocked

I had a totally opposite reaction. I love it when music, especially film music is presented in this very creative and unique way.

-Erik-

To me it sounds very bland. The guitar played this way just puts me to sleep.
    Blasphemy I know, with the Rozsa and all. But that's what it does to me. sad

Oh, that's frustrating for you. sad

I for one love it, especially this one (the other Rosza is lovely too, but I know less music). It's a peaceful and charming listen, especially during evenings.
    Kazoo
  1. Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Comparring to old boots of "Total Recall" (International, and Dark Sith boots) to the expanded CD to see if anything is missing (so far, it appears so) and this has rearrimed for me again what I knew when I first listened to this score: I hate it

I'm sure Basil would have written a nice score but Goldsmith's is incredible. I wonder if it's the last time he really went to town and did something so complex. I guess you could probably argue Basic Instinct was, a couple of years later.

beer

Total Recall - Deluxe Edition (Jerry Tunesmith)

punk punk punk punk punk

Oh did I mention its TOTALLY ROCKIN' BRILLIANT.

The action cues are quite simply some of the most exciting any composer has ever done.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Yes, it IS one of the best action scores EVER written.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. It is also thematically stunning. How many themes are there in the score I wonder, used to their maximum potential? Not one is wasted.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote

beer

punk punk punk punk punk

The action cues are quite simply some of the most exciting any composer has ever done.

Fantastic score and Goldsmith's best action score, in fact, IMO it's THE best action score ever!

I wonder if Justin Boggan has heard this???
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    There's a man after my heart. 'Violence and Variations' comes as close as they were ever going to come to revisiting that track in season 3, and adds in a gorgeous love theme too.

Indeed, but actually McCreary makes variations of this theme all the way through seasons 1-3, so I'm expecting the same thing in 4 as well (still haven't heard it because we haven't seen season 4 yet shame )
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. NP: SPHERE --- Elliot Goldenthal

OMG shocked shocked I gave this a star and a half several years ago? shocked shocked shocked

Don't know what to say shame

But I've enjoyed it now beer , especially when you know what it does in the movie as well smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Hidalgo (James Newton Howard).

Fun-tastic.

I love this typical new age touches from zimmer's friend. And I have to say, Newton Howard melodies and orchestrations has a lot of personality!

What Goldsmith western score do you recomend me???
  6. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote

beer

punk punk punk punk punk

Fantastic score and Goldsmith's best action score, in fact, IMO it's THE best action score ever!

I wonder if Justin Boggan has heard this???

SYMPHONETTE #2

'Nuff said biggrin
  7. Nautilus wrote

Fun-tastic.

I love this typical new age touches from zimmer's friend. And I have to say, Newton Howard melodies and orchestrations has a lot of personality!

Lonely Are the Brave, theme from Breakheart Pass, Hour of the Gun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

Fun-tastic.

Take a Hard Ride.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MULHOLLAND FALLS - Dave Grusin

Love this score, very Chinatown influenced but not a rip off.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Lonely Are The Brave - Jerry Goldsmith

Surely one of the finest western scores I've heard... or at least one of the very best Goldsmith ever wrote... and this was one of his early efforts. shocked

Not too many film composers early in the game will ever write something so striking. Not even John Williams' early efforts can hold a candle to this masterpiece. Goldsmith crafted a superb main theme with that patented lone trumpet theme... a device that Goldsmith would return to often in his work. Moving along we get to "Barroom Brawl." A surprisingly contemporary piece of film music (one that could have work in any one of Goldsmith later scores) especially for something written in the early 60's. If I were alive back in 1962 this one lone cue would be the cue that would have triggered my interest in Goldsmith as being a brave new voice and the man that would breath new life into film music.

What I also LOVE about this score is that it isn't a big, expansive western score in the spirit of Bernstein. The score owns a lot to Goldsmith's hero Alex North (Viva Zapata comes to mind) and is brilliantly developed as a small intimate dramatic score which develops into something a bit bigger as we get closer to the end of the score. And the score definitely benefits the listener in its complete and chronological presentation. The score develops naturally from cue to cue and if presented in any other order would have destroyed that cohesive flow.

A great score and a wonderful release by Varese.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Damn you make it hard to not want to check it out man!

Like you always do. wink

How is the sound quality / recording? Not like a certain The Wind and the Lion?
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    Damn you make it hard to not want to check it out man!

Like you always do. wink

I'm more interested in finding out about None but the Brave of Williams?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

Surprisingly clear for a 1960's recording. Slightly better than 100 Rifles but not as good (or as bright) as Take A Hard Ride but the orchestra stills sounds very clear and expansive.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

It's Ok. One of his very first dramatic scores but after the superb main theme the score tends to drag.

-Erik-
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

It's Ok. One of his very first dramatic scores but after the superb main theme is the score tends to drag.

-Erik-

thanks, I'll see
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Have you checked out the sound clips Thomas?
  11. Timmer wrote

doing so now
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Space:1999 - Season 2 - Derek Wadsworth (Fanderson)

What can I say ... I absolutely bl**dy love this release !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  12. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote

doing so now

well, Lonely are the Brave surely sounds more promising than None are the Brave
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I purchased None But The Brave on nought but Williams' name, but while it's certainly a notch up from his early comedic scores, I completely agree with Erik's assesment.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Have you heard the score? I still haven't decided whether to buy it.
  13. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Lonely Are The Brave - Jerry Goldsmith

Surely one of the finest western scores I've heard... or at least one of the very best Goldsmith ever wrote... and this was one of his early efforts. shocked

Not to many film composers early in the game will ever write something so striking. Not even John Williams' early efforts can hold a candle to this masterpiece. Goldsmith crafted a superb main theme with that patented lone trumpet theme... a device that Goldsmith would return to often in his work. Moving along we get to "Barroom Brawl." A surprisingly contemporary piece of film music (one that could have work in any one of Goldsmith later scores) especially for something written in the early 60's. If I were alive back in 1962 this one lone cue would be the cue that would have triggered my interest in Goldsmith as being a brave new voice and the man that would breath new life into film music.

What I also LOVE about this score is that it isn't a big, expansive western score in the spirit of Bernstein. The score owns a lot to Goldsmith's hero Alex North (Viva Zapata comes to mind) and is brilliantly developed as a small intimate dramatic score which develops into something a bit bigger as we get closer to the end of the score. And the score definitely benefits the listener in its complete and chronological presentation. The score develops naturally from cue to cue and if presented in any other order would have destroyed that cohesive flow.

A great score and a wonderful release by Varese.

-Erik-

Run for It FOR THE WIN!

I love this score and I'm glad I bought it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Have you heard the score? I still haven't decided whether to buy it.

I took note while watching the film last year, it's definitely not for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Italian Job - John Powell

Very cool action score.