• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009
    NP : QUEST FOR FIRE - Philippe Sarde

Brilliant score! Evocative music that transports me to other times. For conjoring pre-history not many scores are better.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Walking With Dinosaurs - Benjamin Bartlett

tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No fair! You know....KNOW that I agree with you!!! cool beer

p.s. Have you ever heard 'Quest'?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not being the biggest Sarde fan on the block, I haven't heard it yet, no , but I think I have a copy floating around somewhere.
    Will have a look! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think it's a fantastic work.

Challenging for sure but not in the league of Alex North in that respect. Sarde truly hit the nail on the head with this score, please check it out Martijn and let me know what you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    John Chambers wrote
    E.T. The Extra-terrestrial- original LP sequence - John Williams

I've had the '96 disc since release and picked up a copy of the '02 release on the cheap recently. I just received the MCA CD of the original album recording and I'm finding it to be a revelation. I've never heard this recording before outside of the "Over the Moon" and "Flying" tracks which I have on the "Filmworks" compilation. The arrangements and performance on this disc are superb, I adore the arrangement of "E.T. and Me". I think this is going to get many more spins than the film tracks from now on!

I'm getting interested in it... I love E.T. score but also found the complete album a bit too long.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Watership Down - Angela Morley, Malcolm Williamson

Love the main theme, especially when it's gloriously performed in Climbing the Down, it gives me goosebumps! Also the slow quiet theme in Venturing Forth and Violet's Gone are beautiful. And I like Kehaar theme too, it sounds like him... "O fly away, great bird so white" smile

The End Title is not so long but great representations of all the themes above.

And Bright Eyes is of course a great song. bunny
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Love 'Bright Eyes'!
    Quite a tear jerker.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Miya wrote
    NP: Watership Down - Angela Morley, Malcolm Williamson

Love the main theme, especially when it's gloriously performed in Climbing the Down, it gives me goosebumps! Also the slow quiet theme in Venturing Forth and Violet's Gone are beautiful. And I like Kehaar theme too, it sounds like him... "O fly away, great bird so white" smile

The End Title is not so long but great representations of all the themes above.

And Bright Eyes is of course a great song. bunny

I prefer the version of the song in the film.

Watership Down is a wonderful score, perfect with the film and a great listen on album.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Timmer wrote
    Oh what to play?.....Something completely different!!

NP : THE THIEF WHO CAME TO DINNER - Henry Mancini

FSM have hit the ground running this year with two great Mancini scores ( the other being Nightwing ), lush warm scoring, very much in 1970's Mancini vein....I love love

He he I bought this one too. It is such a period piece with that Fender bass sound and the bango drums. I think I'll just have to bring out the shag carpet and the avocado green furniture. smile

NP The Perfect Storm

I just finished Radio which goes by so quickly and this one now which is more epic in scope. I love the trumpet parts , riveting action cues and really dig that electric guitar. The electric guitar was also featured in Radio. He rarely uses it. Any other Horner scores with electric guitar? A James Horner day.
  1. Nightwing was Varese Club actually, wasn't it?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Yes Nightwing was a 1500 copies limited Collector's edition.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009 edited
    Oooops! of course it was shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: THE JAYHAWKERS SUITEJerome Moross. Similiar style to Big Country but the themes are different. Also includes material from The Cardinal.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Jayhawkers Suite has the Wagon Train theme as part of it along with a couple of James Bernard type horror parts to it.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SECRET OF NIMH - Jerry Goldsmith

Very Debussy / Ravel flavoured score. Woderful. cool
  2. Nah I wouldn't call it woderful at all... biggrin

Merely fatastic.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Informers - Christopher Young

I had assumed from the album cover that this was a horror film. Listening to the music (and looking at the album's back cover) I assume it is not! Pretty nice, chilled-out music - Young does that well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE MATRIX RELOADED - Don Davis etc

Corking! punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : PLANET EARTH - George Fenton

Did they not proof read the cover?

"PLANET EARTH"

"Music George Fenton"

Not "by George Fenton" ? spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR WARS : RETURN OF THE JEDI - John Williams

One of my lesser played Star Wars scores, mainly because I tend to reach for the original or 'Empire', still, this is fantastic and I love the Emperor music. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

One of my lesser played Star Wars scores, mainly because I tend to reach for the original or 'Empire', still, this is fantastic and I love the Emperor music. cool

The Emperor stuff is incredible. ROTJ isn't quite on the level of the two which came before, I don't think, but the stuff for the lightsaber battle at the end is the series' finest musical stuff.
  3. Got my FSM package today:

"The Flim-Flam Man"
    "Big Wednesday"
    "Star Trek 2"

Put in the Horner one while I did some driving. Amazing! Before it even started, I got this overwhleming giddyness -- I still couldn't believe I actually have it in my hands! These passed three years have been nothing short of AMAZING for film score lovers, and with the passed few months news of not only Disney, Paramount, but now UNIVERSAL finalyl being cracked, the next three years ... I think a lot of people will be shitting their pants when they see what comes out.

Anyway, love the new tracks. And the sound qaulity, while not stunning, is indeed much, much, MUCH more improved over the tin can GNP CD. There was one thin sound at the beginning, in the main title piece, the opening "swish" sound effect, but everything else was fine. Sound like a little reverb was added to "sweaten" the score, like some recent limited edition releases (at least it sound like it was added).

For those curious about the sound qaulity, I'd say it's about two steps up from the original "The Omega Man" CD.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

The Emperor stuff is incredible. ROTJ isn't quite on the level of the two which came before, I don't think, but the stuff for the lightsaber battle at the end is the series' finest musical stuff.

Yeah, the choral work in the final Luke / Vader dual is truly scoregasmic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    ET - John Williams

There are some scores I don't listen to nearly often enough - and this is one of them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK VI : THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY - Cliff Eidelman

Something big and bold for this Saturday afternoon punk
  4. Jerry Goldsmith - Tora! Tora! Tora!

Not an easy listening experience, but Goldsmith at his most respectable. Very effective score which reminds me to watch the great movie again. Jerry really understood the Japanese culture there.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : I' ROBOT - Marco Beltrami

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was playing:End Credits from Ice Age 3

Brillitant, superb, one of Powell's finest tracks!

Do you think i'm over reacting?

NP:Might of Rome from Gladiator

By far the best cue of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Cooler - Mark Isham

cool