• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009
    BhelPuri wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:A dark Knight from The Dark Knight

I find the whole track one of Zimmer's best compositions, a great blend of his neo-classical composition and his ealier days as a synthetiser expert.

What do you mean by neo-classical here? I'm just puzzled by that in the context for TDK. You mean the brooding/repetitive strings?

I mean Zimmer adagios.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009 edited
    NP: Julie & Julia - Alexandre Desplat

I think this is the one time where the Desplat waltzes works for me and I'm not bored to sleep by it. Reminds me at time of Rachel Portman and George Fenton's work on previous Nora Ephron pics though, not that's a bad thing, IMO. The music is classy, melodic, thematic, tender and sweet. Good score. Good album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : APOLLO 13 - James Horner

I would like to tell Houston that I have no problem with this score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
  1. Eric wrote
    Piranha II - Stelvio Cipriani

Excellent score to James Cameron's first feature film .

spin

I remember I saw the movie once, but I can't remember at all what the score would sound like? Could you give a hint? wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. NP: Youth without Youth (Golijov)

I've wondered at times whether I've overrated this score - without realising it of course - ie. the possibility that it has bewitched me! But then I visited a composer friend of mine, and when I mentioned it, he nodded, and fetched the printed conductor score from his shelf. I can't remember the last non-John Williams / Corigliano / Tan Dun score that got that level of interest from him.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Nautilus wrote

NP:...... I don't know. I need some score with electric guitars and percusion but without being an "iron man" kind of trash. Any recomendation?

I might have a solution.

NP: Blood Diamond - James Newton Howard

I think it is an excellent score for an excellent film. It has percussion and electric guitars in the action tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Eric wrote
    Piranha II - Stelvio Cipriani

Excellent score to James Cameron's first feature film .

spin

I remember I saw the movie once, but I can't remember at all what the score would sound like? Could you give a hint? wink

Sure , but don't expect that I'm gonna sing or hum it for you ... biggrin
    (Otherwise all the MT members would run away !)

Take a look here and here for samples of the music ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  3. NP: The Black Stallion (Carmine Coppola, many others)

I've revisited this score to see if it's the sort of thing I'd want a 3CD version of. I remember the score was very evocative in the film, however on disc I find myself waiting for the Delerue section to kick. I'm sure the Coppola score suits the tone of the film better - less sentimental - but I must confess the only expanded release I'd be going for is one that gave me more Delerue, not more Coppola.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009
    I'm totally with you Michael, in fact I tend to skip Coppola's ( admitedly worthy ) effort to get straight to Delerue's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Oh! My dear Southall, you have no idea about my groundbreaking theory. Hmmm.. I feel pity for your ignorance. biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    The day will come when Sunil's "groundbreaking theory" will be taught at universities across the world!
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Exactly! But its not too far.... beer biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Antineutrino wrote
    NP: The Thorn Birds - Henry Mancini

shocked Along with North and South probably the best TV music of the 80s.

I'll add Masada to the list and then agree with you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I'm totally with you Michael, in fact I tend to skip Coppola's ( admitedly worthy ) effort to get straight to Delerue's.

Yes, me too.

I may as well throw this question out to the floor. Alan (FalkirkBairn) is away on holiday and he asked me to buy him the Intrada CDs if I thought he would like them. I haven't - but does anyone think this would be his thing (or indeed the Charles Bernstein score they also released)?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's a toughie!? My instinct says he wouldn't want them.

I think it's worth waiting, I can't see these two releases running out immediately, either that or do you have Alan's mobile number?
  4. NP: Fatal Attraction - Maurice Jarre

Interesting, and certainly a easier listen than some of his other synth scores. The GNP release only lists six tracks tracks at the back, but there 14 on the cd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    That's a toughie!? My instinct says he wouldn't want them.

I think it's worth waiting, I can't see these two releases running out immediately, either that or do you have Alan's mobile number?

I do but can't get in touch - perhaps he has no mobile reception where he is.

My instinct is - if I don't want them - you don't want them - and Franz doesn't want them - then chances are Alan won't either.
  5. Jerry Goldsmith - First Blood

Wonderful score. Rarely action music (with an amazing theme to boost, also!) gets simply so angry. It makes up for inconsistencies of Stallone's acting (still Rambo is one of his BEST parts, he just didn't handle the final speech well, rather due to his lack of acting experience, he grew up to be a better actor who is capable of self-mocking, actually.

Great score. Actually First Blood - the movie helped me go through the teacher's death. I guess it had to do with a character being as angry as I was.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Armageddon - Harry Gregson-Williams

Excellent score. Polythematic and melodic. It's primo Harry in MV mode.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Bolt - John Powell

Fun, emotional (the piano is lovely!), action filled and thematically great. One of my all time favourites by Powell!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TWILIGHT ZONE THE MOVIE - Jerry Goldsmith

Wonderful score, truly wonderful cool

'Why you sittin around moping, sittin around hoping
    just listen to me, I'm sure that you will agree,
    that age means nothing cos it's duty free
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Kung Fu Panda - Hans Zimmer & John Powell

Saw the movie again yesterday (LOVE it!) and got the urge to play this out loud too. Really fun and adrenaline-packed score, easily one of my favourites from last year. I especially loved how Sacred Pool Of Tears played out in the film, and Oogway Ascends really gave me the chills. The action music, especially the bridge battle and Shifu Vs. Tai Lung is terrific. And Po's and Tai Lung's themes are fantastic! 4.5 stars out of 5.
  6. Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo: First Blood Part II

New theme - great. Action music - great. Electronics may sound a bit funny sometimes, but don't change the fact that it's a Goldsmith action masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lonely are the Brave - Jerry Goldsmith

Hoo-****ing-ray. A month after everyone else, my CD Club discs finally turn up. My first listen to this one - only word to say is "wow!"
  7. Great score, isn't it?

Seems a Jerry Goldsmith day today. Not that I have anything against it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yeah, it's great. Wow. Better than I dared hope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Great score, isn't it?

Seems a Jerry Goldsmith day today. Not that I have anything against it smile

What a preposterous thing to say.

Every day is a Jerry Goldsmith day.
  8. lol

Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall

cool punk cool punk

Goldsmith's best action score? I think so!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall