• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009
    So that's a no to foreplay? Fine. Suit up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Right Stuff - Bill Conti

I've waited years for this but am not sure I will ever listen to it. The music is magnificent - but everything you need is already on the re-recording. The "new" stuff is mostly limited to a couple of embarrassing synth tracks and source music. And is it me, or are there serious sound problems in "Daybreak in Space"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote

And is it me, or are there serious sound problems in "Daybreak in Space"?

Did Dan Wallin record it... yup... there's the problem. <-- Was that too fanboy of me?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Compare just about any Eric Tomlinson recording with a Dan Walin recording and people would quickly realise that wasn't too fanboy of you at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Compare just about any Eric Tomlinson recording with a Dan Walin recording and people would quickly realise that wasn't too fanboy of you at all.

Well, there are some pretty awful Tomlinson recordings as well... In The Army Now sounds particularly awful!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

And is it me, or are there serious sound problems in "Daybreak in Space"?

Did Dan Wallin record it... yup... there's the problem. <-- Was that too fanboy of me?

-Erik-

There's that (distortion inherent in the recording), but it sounds like there's some bad problems in the speed of the master tape to me (and can't really blame Wallin for that).
  1. NP: The Beat My Heart Skipped (Desplat)

This wonderful suite - 23 minutes in length - always lures me in. It's probably the most powerful thing Desplat has written. If I had the rights to the music, I'd love to go out and make a film to match the musical story.

Oh, and earlier today: Kingdom of Heaven (Harry Gregson-Williams) - A really strong album. I underrated this one terribly at the time. With the benefit of hindsight, it's clearly the nadir (and the sole candidate for it!) in HGW's career to date. So nice to hear the Ibelin theme slowly explored contrapuntally by a string section in 'A New World' (see towards the end here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox2lf_K_ … re=related). The best things in music can be so small.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: District 9 - Clinton Shorter

Uhm... nothing groundbreaking... sorry, I had to say it wink It's rather generic! African male vocals, lots of African percussion, heavy electronics, deep bass, very MV-ish. Can't say any of it is memorable. sad

-Erik-

Oh cool. I didn't know this was getting released. I enjoyed what I heard in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Beat My Heart Skipped (Desplat)

This wonderful suite - 23 minutes in length - always lures me in. It's probably the most powerful thing Desplat has written. If I had the rights to the music, I'd love to go out and make a film to match the musical story.

I have never heard of this suite...what is it from? I Googled the title and "Desplat" and nothing came up so I'm guessing this is an English translation of a French title?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. De Battre Mon Coeur s'est Arrete! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote
    If I had the rights to the music, I'd love to go out and make a film to match the musical story.

You haven't seen the original movie, then? shocked
    You must! It's highly enjoyable!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited
    Played 3 scores recently-

Yehia El Mougy - L'Autre
    Good score that takes off from where Le Destin left but it's too brief to make much of an impact.
    There's one song (Adam Et Hanane) that's really catchy-- it starts off sweeping and lyrical (like Le Destin) and the vocals lend it atmospheric goodness. It gradually gets more exotic with and all of a sudden switches to an intoxicating mix of orchestral middle-eastern pop!
    The video is corny!

Thanks to Joep as it was his purchase mentioned in these forums that brought this to my attention.

Jerry Goldsmith - Under Fire
    Now this is the kind of Jerry that I can dig into. Bajo Fuego is a standout!

Frederic Talgorn - President
    Gorgeousness! Give me the European composers any day over the others!
    The end title has to be one of the most moving string adagios ever composed for film. Wow! I melt!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Yeah - it's groundbreaking!

At last, Southall can understand my theory of groundbreaking! biggrin Good! applause
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  3. BhelPuri wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    If I had the rights to the music, I'd love to go out and make a film to match the musical story.

You haven't seen the original movie, then? shocked
    You must! It's highly enjoyable!

I have seen it, and I agree that it is very good... but I think I like the silent, music-driven film in my head a little bit more. wink
  4. Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (Alan Silvestri)

Ok, so the synthesized underscore is easily the worst part of the album. But that doesn't mean you should dismiss the orchestral part, because that has its fair share of great moments. It can't end any better than with the brilliant finale track 'Pandora's Box' and a reprise of the main theme in the last cue. Silvestri has written better and more consistent scores than this but if you see the crappy movie it's written for, it could be called a small masterpiece in comparison.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Scorpion King (John debney)

Lisbeth scott + Electric guitars? = sexual fantasy biggrin

(Not as good as Kull, thought)
  5. Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo III

I just had to finish the trilogy. The most emotional (almost romantic at times!) and intelligent score of the series. It's amazing how Goldsmith managed to write three distinct and still different scores by using basically the same thematic material. First score is plain anger. Pissed off Rambo, that is. Rambo II is pure fun and action, over the top and all. The best listening experience for action fans.

Score number 3 is completely different. It boasts two new wonderful themes (and has the most emotional performances of It's a Long Road). One is the Afghanistan theme - great emotional and romantic theme, the other one is a new theme for Rambo, boasting more Americana than the Coplandesque fanfares that appear in all 3 scores. Very good stuff with Goldsmith at his peak.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. NP: The Devil's Brigade - Alex North

The main theme is terrific and the highlight of the album. Only North could write music like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Departures (Okuribito) - Joe Hisaishi

I've loved the main theme since when I saw the trailer; simple yet memorable, tender and emotional. For some reason it reminds me of some Japanese songs sung at graduation ceremonies. Probably it's appropriate, because this is a story about "departures" (I haven't seen the movie yet, though). This album contains four variations of the main theme. All are beautiful but I specially love ending, uplifting strings arrangement is similar to my favorite piece Oriental Wind from Piano Stories album.

Other tracks, while they're beautiful, don't stands out compared to the main title. And most of them are short tracks. But any way cellos (lots of cellos!) with his typical piano are always pleasant. smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  7. Hans Zimmer - Broken Arrow

I enjoy this one a lot. Big fun, a Morricone homage, definitely this score is tongue-in-cheek.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    JP : Jaws 2 - John Williams

I always enjoy this score as much as the first one . Mr. Williams introduced some great new themes here , interwoven with his earlier Jaws music . Excellent !

NP : Red Dawn - Basil Poledouris

Love the film and I love the score ! Mr. Poledouris created a stunning blend of emotionally , beautiful music and pumped up action tracks . I miss the guy ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Hidalgo - James Newton Howard

Fantastic effort from JNH - lovely theme, great action material, and a satisfying blend of east and west.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo III

PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Broken Arrow

Pawel you have very good taste!

Rambo III is my favourite from the trilogy, I agree it's the most emotional, all the themes get rousing statements and the action is as meaty as ever. Plus and this is a big plus: every track is written around one theme or another, so there is absolutely no boring moment. A highlight in his career IMO.

Broken Arrow, a personal Zimmer favourite, everytime this spins my adrenaline level goes way up high. My most-loved parts is the pumping action in track 3, the sorrowful theme for the villain and the incredible final battle music. Fun it most definitely is. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Quantum OF Solace

With this score Arnold proved he is not anymore closed in his own style, and that he can be versatile enough to make another kind of movies.

He played with rythms and textures here, I really hope Arnold get more assignments than only Bond movies.
  8. Eric wrote
    Sure , but don't expect that I'm gonna sing or hum it for you ... biggrin
    (Otherwise all the MT members would run away !)

Take a look here and here for samples of the music ... wink

hmn, not directly something I would want to buy tongue
    but good enough
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    but good enough

No problemo my friend - be glad we all haven't 100% the same tastes - it would be a boring world indeed ... wink
  9. Eric wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    but good enough

No problemo my friend - be glad we all haven't 100% the same tastes - it would be a boring world indeed ... wink

indeed, what if we all shared Koko's tastes? wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    indeed, what if we all shared Koko's tastes? wink

OMG shocked !

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: "The kraken" Vs "160 BPM" Vs "Why so serius"

Can be more provocative?
  10. Yes, if you add Raiders March to it and say all the pieces are similar to it wink