• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009 edited
    Since I've now gone on to doing a review of the 1969 film Hard Contract, I decided that Mr. North should have his own thread at the very least.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    Well done for starting it - can't believe he didn't already have one. One of my favourite composers.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's hard to believe that such a huge and influential a film composer as Alex North has slipped under all our radars for so long!?? shame

Spartacus remains one of my all time favourite scores.

Tom, could you put the thread title like this --> ALEX NORTH ( all capitals ) smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    How do you change it? Could Martijn change it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009 edited
    Yes, Martijn, Bregt or D could change it for you.

Or just press edit on your original post.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    DONE
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I must admit that I have problems with the "intensity" of North when he's really shrill and dissonant. I simply cannot get through CLEOPATRA even once (and I've tried), and have to really be in the mood for my SPARTACUS (which combines the MCA CD with a few unreleased cues, totalling in at 60-something minutes).

However, when he's only "slightly dissonant" or uses his dissonance in a more traditional idiom, he's awesome. AGONY AND THE ECSTASY, for example, is pure bliss, and one of my most-played CD's!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    How could I forget The Agony And The Ecstasy....fantastic score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's the only score of his I truly love and revisit very often.

I do also enjoy Shoes Of The Fisherman and A Streetcar Named Desire, and I absolutely appreciate his work on 2001...but overall I find his work hard to get into: complicated and harsh and generally unenjoyable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    It's the only score of his I truly love and revisit very often.

I do also enjoy Shoes Of The Fisherman and A Streetcar Named Desire, and I absolutely appreciate his work on 2001...but overall I find his work hard to get into: complicated and harsh and generally unenjoyable.

A Streetcar Named Desire is a great jazz based score especially for 1951. His style is quite unique and special.
    Thomas
  1. Try out the samples from Varese Club for his "Pony Soldier".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009
    Nobody here will care, but I will tell you anyway. Kritzerland has released North's score for The Children's Hour. I WILL be buying this watermelon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Whenever I buy North watermelons, I tend to end up spending my time spitting out the seeds. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Southall wrote
    Nobody here will care, but I will tell you anyway. Kritzerland has released North's score for The Children's Hour. I WILL be buying this watermelon.

rolleyes

I think I'll double The Children's Hour up with Kritzerland's release of Death of A Salesman (a quite enjoy this latter title as heard on the Elmer Bernstein FSM Box Set.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I forgot that you might care! I somehow missed Death of a Salesman. Wish I hadn't been so speedy to order Children's Hour - I could have doubled it up with that one, and even trebled it up with the recent Bernstein release, which I also completely forgot about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … ieid=18885

This is territory that is extremely difficult for me because I already have the Soundstage Recording
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Checking the samples for The Children's Hour and it reminds me a lot of The Bad Seed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    BhelPuri wrote
    Checking the samples for The Children's Hour and it reminds me a lot of The Bad Seed.

Yup
  3. In this pre-Christmas cash-strapped times I may have to hold off from bulking out my North discography!

sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    It really is a must buy for Alex North fans only
  4. sdtom wrote

Which means that it's probably going to be around for a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009
    I'd guess that to be true except for those who feel this is "holy grail" territory confused confused which of course I don't agree with.
    Thomas
  5. LLLR has just announced that on the 23rd they will release his score to "Dragonslayer", over 70mins long.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. justin boggan wrote
    LLLR has just announced that on the 23rd they will release his score to "Dragonslayer", over 70mins long.

From what I've heard of the stuff that's currently available that could be quite a challenging listen!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010
    sdtom wrote

^
    Tom's comment here is the most appropriate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    LLLR has just announced that on the 23rd they will release his score to "Dragonslayer", over 70mins long.

I can't wait to get that. I only have a CDR of the old Southern Cross release. I think it's one of the most incredible film scores I've ever heard - but I don't suppose it would appeal to many people. Alan's description of it as "challenging" is certainly apt!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    justin boggan wrote

Yes, yes, oh my, yes!
    I've waited for this a looong time after many unsuccessful auction bids.
  7. I think that it's good to have titles like Dragonslayer to listen to. I'll probably go for this one as it's good to have something challenging to listen to in your collection. Chances are that you're going to enjoy it at some point!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that it's good to have titles like Dragonslayer to listen to. I'll probably go for this one as it's good to have something challenging to listen to in your collection. Chances are that you're going to enjoy it at some point!!

Indeed! I'm guessing that people are already familiar with some of the music.
    Part of his score for 2001 made its way to Dragonslayer, isn't it?