• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    Steven wrote
    I still don't know what you're getting at? (In fact I've been sitting here for a good few minutes trying to decipher that sentence! Srsly. dizzy )

Well, if you're implying you only like to listen to one style of film music scores, isn't that a bit mono-dimensional? That's what i am saying here, unless i got what you wrote the wrong way smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

NP:Alien Vs Predaror: Requiem (Tyler)

With Darkness Falls my favourite Tyler score.

The first time I listen it, I thought Demetris clearly was overreacting. Now I'm with him.

Thematically well presented, impressive orchestrations, Long action tracks and a really dark and agressive atmosphere.

I love Horner, Silvestri, Goldsmith and Goldenthal homenages!

It's easily BRIAN TYLER's last really worthy score so far, if you ask me.

What happen with Eagle Eye and Final Destination?

Eagle eye is pretty good, an exception. I haven't heard FD yet but from the comments i read around, i doubt it's anything special.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: Moon - Clint Mansell

This is a very hypnotic score. Lots of repetition, but I like what is being repeated so it doesn't bother me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    I still don't know what you're getting at? (In fact I've been sitting here for a good few minutes trying to decipher that sentence! Srsly. dizzy )

Well, if you're implying you only like to listen to one style of film music scores, isn't that a bit mono-dimensional? That's what i am saying here, unless i got what you wrote the wrong way smile

You've missed my point about as much as Michael Bay missed the mark when he made Pearl Harbor!

When I say I want to hear passion and 'escapism' in scores (and I use the terms in a very loose sense), it doesn't mean I only listen to one style of film score. (Clearly not the case since you know for a fact I don't listen to just the one sort of score.) What it means is they're two things I enjoy most about film music as a whole. The two primary reasons I love scores you could say.

These loose terms cover a stupendously large amount of scores of all shapes and sizes - doesn't even have to be a masterpiece to adhere! (Although it helps.) I'm pretty sure all of my favourite scores must have either one or both of these qualities. Of course it depends on the music itself too, which is purely preferential and infinitely harder to explain, even in qualitative terms. But a score unable to move me or connect with me on some level is unlikely to become something I'll enjoy. Which is precisely the case with a lot of Desplat's small 'intimate drama' scores, irrespective of how well crafted they may be, of which I fully understand.*

Although I do like The Curious Case of the Unusually Long Titled Story about a Geezer named Benjamin Button. That particular score has a wonderful ethereal, magical quality going for it, which is ... *dum dum DUM*... escapism!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not too sure about "escapism", not too sure about the way you mean it in music anyway, but i'd never characterize Desplat's scores as lacking passion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: The Painted Veil....Alexander Desplat This one had quite a hypnotic theme. I don't think it lacked passion at all.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited
    I'm sure there is passion.. but I still find the music itself very boring, very restrained. Simply put, I don't enjoy it and no amount of qualitative discussion will change my mind!

Not too sure about "escapism", not too sure about the way you mean it in music anyway

As in listening to a score and being "transported" into the story it represents, or perhaps your own story from your reaction to the music, or perhaps the feeling of heroism in the music, or romanticism, or.... well, you name it! That's what I mean by escapism. Be it emotionally or 'metaphysically', that's the power of a really great score, of really great music, to move you to feel something you wouldn't have otherwise felt, to make you feel like you've been to somewhere you wouldn't have otherwise have gone. Without getting too gushy and philosophical, that's what I love about scores. And that's what I like to hear.
  1. Emotional escapism is the richest drug of all. spin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I think Goldsmith always classed that score as a family adventure score with horror aspects... and I agree with him. So I wouldn't class it as a full-out horror score like the Young examples. The Omen is one of the best horror scores I've ever heard.

It was.

It's become a cliche now.

The Mephisto Waltz is very good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think you explained yourself quite well Steven!!!
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    JP: RAIN - SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARON

NP: CHINNA CHINNA MAZHAI THULIGAL - EN SWASAKATRE

Now, here there is a slight drizzle. I thought it would be appropriate to above two songs. Its a wonderful morning here. Chinna Chinna... is very sweet song composed by A.R.Rahman. The whole song is about rain. This is one of the best song of ARR.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: The Final Destination (Brian Tyler)

A bit of AVP2, a bit of Bankok Dangerous, and a bit of War (especially in "Car Washicide"). Tyler uses Shirley Walker's theme (or part of it), but mostly in that ominous celli statement used in the first movie. His work is a bit all over the place, but it works in the film. And the underscore for the climatic movie theater scene nicely recalls Walker's work for the climatic hospital scene in FD2 -- nice touch.

"The Final Destination Suite" is easily hands down the best track of the bunch. But it's not a bad Tyler album by any means.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sunil wrote
    JP: RAIN - SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARON

NP: CHINNA CHINNA MAZHAI THULIGAL - EN SWASAKATRE

Now, here there is a slight drizzle. I thought it would be appropriate to above two songs. Its a wonderful morning here. Chinna Chinna... is very sweet song composed by A.R.Rahman. The whole song is about rain. This is one of the best song of ARR.

"Rain" is actually the name of a character in the Spirit film. wink

Though it's mood does fit your description too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice explanation there, Steven. I can tell you, i can get a lot of that when listening to Lust, Caution or Syriana and Birth for instance. Again, i believe it's down to one's character and tastes rather than a problem with Desplat's music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Lazarus Project (Tyler)

I Want more like this from this composer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

"The Killing Room", although I doubt it´s gonna be released.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

NP:Alien Vs Predaror: Requiem (Tyler)

It's easily BRIAN TYLER's last really worthy score so far, if you ask me.

What happen with Eagle Eye and Final Destination?

AVPR is another giagantic, overly long mess of a score. The first three tracks are ok but past that it's all the same dark, aggressive suspense stuff.

EAGLE EYE is the best Tyler score we've had in a long time, because it's coherent and stays interesting throughout the, again overly-long, run time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    EAGLE EYE is the best Tyler score we've had in a long time, because it's coherent and stays interesting throughout the, again overly-long, run time.

I agree but, don´t we always complain when a release is too short or there are missing cues that one specially liked in the movie? IMO, the longest release the better. There´s always time to skip this or that track, or to make your own playlist. I don´t know if these long Tyler releases are up to him or someone else, but I like to think it´s Tyler´s idea to give the score geek (almost) all the music he has composed for a specific film.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I agree, the more the better. If some music's not interesting then just skip it. Better than not having it in the first place. The only issues that plagues a lot of really long releases is that all the good music is in the first twenty minutes and the rest of the album is just dirge. Space it out a bit!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST - PETER GABRIEL

This is my all time favorite score by Peter Gabriel. When i heard this score for the first time, i was quite stunned and unbelievable that how a non-film composer have beautifully composed for this controversial movie. Its really awesome. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's solo voice in this score is really haunts me. Peter Gabriel is great musician. A.R.Rahman consider him as his teacher of music. In fact, A.R.Rahman is huge fan of Peter Gabriel.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

More snooze? God no.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I think Goldsmith always classed that score as a family adventure score with horror aspects... and I agree with him. So I wouldn't class it as a full-out horror score like the Young examples. The Omen is one of the best horror scores I've ever heard.

It was.

It's become a cliche now.

The Mephisto Waltz is very good.

I guess it has, but it became a cliche for a reason! Could you class The Final Conflict as a horror score? If you could, that would probably be my favourite... but then it feels far too epic to be a proper horror score?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : Julie & Julia - ALEXANDRE DESPLAT

Pleasant. And it doesn't send me to sleep like his more "serious" drama scores. Sort of like a low-key Ratatouille. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But.... but... you're Anthony? You like explosions and guns and gratuitous sex and violence? confused
    Fine. I'll be the heathen for once....

Reign of Fire Edward Shearmur

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

More snooze? God no.

I'm shocked to read this from you since you like The Fountain and Solaris.

Ok, Lazarus is not so overall good and with this mindblowing feeling, but it has some parts of it and a good main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nice explanation there, Steven. I can tell you, i can get a lot of that when listening to Lust, Caution or Syriana and Birth for instance. Again, i believe it's down to one's character and tastes rather than a problem with Desplat's music.

Very true, I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with Desplat's music, he's a clearly a talented composer... but a lot of it just leaves me cold. I might as well try to explain why blue is my favourite colour! (Because it's calming? So is green. Because it's pretty? So are many other colours. So you can see my point analogous to explaining it in a musical context.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    I agree, the more the better. If some music's not interesting then just skip it. Better than not having it in the first place. The only issues that plagues a lot of really long releases is that all the good music is in the first twenty minutes and the rest of the album is just dirge. Space it out a bit!

I have to agree with you here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Why would you want to have good music spread out through dirge? Wouldn't you just want the good music? confused
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It makes the dirge a whole lot better and easier to get through with the knowledge there's other great music throughout. If it's all at the beginning or end there's a tenancy to go straight there. Which is why I never listen past track three on AVPR...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Again, why not just cut out the dirge and go straight for the good stuff? Why bother with it if it is, as you say, dirge?

I'm all for long album releases, but if there's a certain degree of tracks that add nothing to the overall experience, or even hinder it, then I'll get rid of them (that is if I can be arsed and deem the good stuff worthy enough for the effort). With the truly great scores, the 'lesser' moments make the 'better' moments even better. But with regular scores, I feel they just get in the way of a more enjoyable listen (i.e. all Brian Tyler scores).