• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I think Goldsmith always classed that score as a family adventure score with horror aspects... and I agree with him. So I wouldn't class it as a full-out horror score like the Young examples. The Omen is one of the best horror scores I've ever heard.

It was.

It's become a cliche now.

The Mephisto Waltz is very good.

I guess it has, but it became a cliche for a reason! Could you class The Final Conflict as a horror score? If you could, that would probably be my favourite... but then it feels far too epic to be a proper horror score?

An odd cliche at that since in public conciousness it's blended with Orff's Carmina Burana. I love THE OMEN score, Goldsmith actually gave evil it's own voice.

And THE FINAL CONFLICT? No, it's not an out and out horror score, far from it which is probably why it's one of my all time favourite scores, God v Satan on film, thank fook it was Goldsmith who was entrusted to put that into musical terms.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've never seen the film, but everything I've read and heard indicates that Goldsmith pulled a God himself by creating something out of nothing? (I.e. a masterpiece from crap.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited
    It's a film that has moments.

Beautifully photographed and made all the more atmospheric with JG's score which fits to perfection. It's NOT a great film by any stretch but may be worth a late night viewing ( if it happens to be shown on TV ) if you're in the mood.

I saw this film 5 times at the cinema purely so I could gorge on JG's score.

p.s. Sam Neil is perfectly cast as Damien Thorn.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I'm going to get dragged to hell by everyone here for saying this:

Drag Me To Hell (Chris Young)

Listened to it some more, not a fan of this one because it primarily consists of ambience (terrific sounding ambience I might add) but I need something more in the style of Hellraiser to tie it all together. The always melodic approach and emotional connection I felt in his breakthrough scores are sorely missed here. Apart from the beginning and the great ending cues I just don't get what all the fuss is about. confused

Please give me some time to pack guys.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    It's a film that has moments.

Beautifully photographed and made all the more atmospheric with JG's score which fits to perfection. It's NOT a great film by any stretch but may be worth a late night viewing ( if it happens to be shown on TV ) if you're in the mood.

I saw this film 5 times at the cinema purely so I could gorge on JG's score.

p.s. Sam Neil is perfectly cast as Damien Thorn.

I'll watch anything if it's on TV.

Although, I say that, but I attempted to watch Shanghai Knights when it was on the other night. Suffice it to say, I got to about 15 minutes and quickly realised just how awful the rest was going to be. (And while I'm complaining about stuff -which is always fun- Randy Edelman is just... just awful.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I only have one Edelman soundtrack, Dragon : The Bruce Lee Story....the theme is excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    It makes the dirge a whole lot better and easier to get through with the knowledge there's other great music throughout. If it's all at the beginning or end there's a tenancy to go straight there. Which is why I never listen past track three on AVPR...

Well, I'm listening the whole Eagle Eye in my work.

The theme wich is generic, it's enjoyable. And the action stuff is really BIG and LOUD.

I think 78 minutes is too much, but if you listen 30 minutes or so when you are have drunk 1 red bull you really can love this score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Jordi: check mail! tongue
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BORN FREE - John Barry

One of the best film themes ever written. This is the Varese release with the RSNO conducted by Frederic Talgorn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Brian Tyler Day

I don't know why. But I have a Brian Tyler Day.

Eagle Eye - Lazarus Project - Tokyo Drift- Dragon ball Evolution - Final Destination-Darness Falls
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You have my condolences.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nice explanation there, Steven. I can tell you, i can get a lot of that when listening to Lust, Caution or Syriana and Birth for instance. Again, i believe it's down to one's character and tastes rather than a problem with Desplat's music.

He has a style like Mozart did and some of his material does sound pretty much the same unless you really concentrate and listen for the differences
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Brian Tyler Day

Eagle Eye - Lazarus Project - Tokyo Drift- Dragon ball Evolution - Final Destination-Darness Falls

Poor you. I'll light a candle.
  2. Nautilus wrote

What are: things to microwave
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Nautilus wrote

What are: things to microwave

Nope, that would be SYMPHONETTE #2

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Brian Tyler Day

Poor you. I'll light a candle.

Why?

When I said bad things about Brian Tyler everyone jumped over me. And Now this??? angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, you smell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Also, you smell.

lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Also, you smell.

I'll make that an incense candle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Why you are saying this rude things to me??? sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Because Sunil isn't logged in at the moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Because Sunil isn't logged in at the moment.

You sir are on FIRE!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Cinema Symphony - Andrew Pearce

Too bad this wasn't written for a film because it would be one of the finest film scores written this decade! Easily my favorite MovieScore Media release and one of my favorite albums of all time! Old school film music styled scoring at its best! And "Elegy for Violin and Orchestra" and "Celtic Warrior: Prelude for Orchestra" are nothing to sneeze at either!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Hitman - Geoff Zanelli

It's a fun score. Sure, it's partially inspired by John Powell's Bourne music, but it's Zanelli's own theme that he took from Disturbia and used to great effect here. Good background listening. I might have to listen to his Outlander score to see if this is the case here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    lp wrote
    NP: Hitman - Geoff Zanelli

It's a fun score. Sure, it's inspired by Bourne, but it's Zanelli's own theme that he took from Disturbia and used to great effect here. Good background listening. I might have to listen to his Outlander score to see if this is the case here.

Talking about Zanelli,

Yesterday I was watching Disturbia again (for personal reasons...) and I was thinking about 1 hour why the main theme was so familiar to me.....THE LION KING! Disturbia theme is a danger motif from The Lion King.

NP: Happy Feet Songs

The ones powell arranged (ok, there is not very much orchestra in there).

"Sometobody to love", "kiss /heartbeat hotel" and "boogie wonderland" (with Powell's theme )are particulary good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DIE UNENDLICHE GESCHICHTE - Klaus Doldinger

Some of you will know this better as The Never Ending Story, there's no Giorgio Moroder on this release nor cheesy Limahl song, just Doldinger's charming fantasy score which is great fun, quite simple orchestrations but thematic and melodic in a full bodied way, a very enjoyable album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Incredible Hulk - Craig Armstrong

A fine and engaging score with cues that are sometimes brutal , brooding , and occasionally soothing .
    Highly recommended !

And don't get me angry if you say otherwise ! biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Slumdog Millionairre - A.R. Rahman

Such a GREAT album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Slumdog Millionairre - A.R. Rahman

Such a GREAT album.

I don't have anything nice to say so I will leave you with this... vomit

-Erik-
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    I'm going to get dragged to hell by everyone here for saying this:

Drag Me To Hell (Chris Young)

Listened to it some more, not a fan of this one because it primarily consists of ambience (terrific sounding ambience I might add) but I need something more in the style of Hellraiser to tie it all together. The always melodic approach and emotional connection I felt in his breakthrough scores are sorely missed here. Apart from the beginning and the great ending cues I just don't get what all the fuss is about. confused

Please give me some time to pack guys.

they surely give you the time bro wink
    anyway, haven't heard it yet
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh