• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's Very Gladiator-inspired, but nevertheless a great score, especially that touching song.

The song is the best thing about it, I like it a lot. The rest is so - so.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, it's pretty emotional isn't it?

n.p. CHRIS TILTON - Night at the museum: Battle at the Smithsonian (2009)

Nicely bold themes and full instrumentation / arrangements but the mickey mousing tracks are killing me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's Very Gladiator-inspired, but nevertheless a great score, especially that touching song.

The song is one of the things I less enjoy. What really shakes me is this Fanfarres and Anthems in the beggining and the darker stuff.

NP:Bangkok Dangerous (Tyler)

I love this mind blowing electronics. It's a better fussion of electronics and orchestra than his Fast and the furioius scores. The little piano motif really works. Probably his best score in 2009.

The action stuff could have been composed by rabin, but who cares! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I have no interest in listening to Children of Dune ever again. It was such a let down when i first heard it especially coming off a couple of magnificent efforts that same year... Darkness Falls and The Hunted.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Bourne Ultimatum (Powell)

My last try to listen this score. From now on I will pick up Bourne Supremacy anytime.

The dramatic tracks is hyper dramatic, with this wagnerian touch. If there is something good in Bourne scores is the use of electronics, so if you remove these from the equation....

and then the action stuff.... "Tangiers" is noysi as hell and "Waterloo" is good to listen in the background. The rest is disjointed because the whole movie is scored with Supremacy music.

let me "goa" and "to the roof" anytime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Never say never. See YOUR Brian Tyler mood wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Children of Dune - Brian Tyler

My first listen since 2002 (I can't believe it's been that long since it came out). Just thought I'd give it another try - a few minutes in and I'm not sure it will ever get another one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Children of Dune - Brian Tyler

My first listen since 2002 (I can't believe it's been that long since it came out). Just thought I'd give it another try - a few minutes in and I'm not sure it will ever get another one.

I did my first listen since 2002 today too. and while i quite enjoyed the first 18 tracks, I probably will not listen this score in the next years. If I have to choose I prefer Timeline , wich is "children of Dune" pocket version.

NP:Moon (Mantsell)

The main theme is interesting. it creates a "circular" effect, who if the character was in some kind of routine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Bourne Ultimatum - John Powell

I needed something to rescue my day's listening and this is doing the trick very nicely.
  1. Christodoulides wrote

CEZARY SKUBISZEWSKI - night

It's certainly a very unique score. From orchestral fanfares to film noir and rock-ish stuff, It has beautifully dark and melancholic moments, but also some more frantic, kinda odd and experimental moments too which i am not sure how to handle, despite the repeated listens. Maybe watching the movie will help understanding it a bit more? Michael?

I've not seen it actually. I wasn't sure a 70 minutes documentary of scenes at night was going to sustain my interest. I think however the variety of the score makes sense, because it is a film with no dialogue and little in the way of soundscapes. It's all music, so the music needs to have a lot of variety in it to sustain interest.

The tracks I find myself playing most: "Power of the City", "A Face in the Crowd" and (especially) "New Year's Eve".
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009
    Le chévre/Les compéres/Les fugitifs - Vladimir Cosma

When I listen to such joyful and pleasant music as the music of those three movies on this album, I always think I should definitely listen to more Cosma in the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009 edited
    NP: Shinsengumi! (vol. 1) - Takayuki Hattori (An one-year historical drama series on Japanese TV from 5 years ago)

When I saw several episodes of this series, I was impressed by the opening theme and several score cues. I remember there were more dramatic cues than on this album, but probably they're on the second volume.

I love "Shinsengumi" Main Theme, heroic melody performed by orchestra and then sung by a male singer with strong chorus. It's a shame this theme wasn't used at all in the actual score in spite of the title "Main Theme". There are two bonus arrangements on this album, though.

[koko mode]hear it on you tube![/koko mode] wink http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN1AsZ8WvtQ

Other favorite tracks are Track 6 Yuushi sassou (hard to translate!), which has uplifting rhythm and heroic melody with somewhat celtic feel, and Track 18 Shippu gaisen (gaisen = a triumphant return), also heroic and triumphant as the title say.

Other cues are not so memorable, but still good to listen! I hope I can get a chance to get Vol.2 (it's already out of print)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  2. Space 3: Beyond the Final Frontier (Silva Screen Compilation)

Performed by the Prague Philharmonic and Crouch End Festival Chorus. Some odd recordings, some pretty good ones. Aliens, Armageddon and The Phantom Menace performances are a little off but there are many good tracks: Robocop, Back to the Future, The Cape, The Last Starfighter, Lost in Space, Galaxy Quest, The Matrix, they all hit the jackpot and recreate that epic feeling from the original recordings. I have all three Space compilations and the whole set is an amazing selection of brilliant sci-fi themes, both old and new (well up until 2000 anyway). Totally recommended.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Alias Season 2 (Giacchino)
    More dramatic, more Giacchino, more techno!!!! punk punk punk

Underrated scores!

I will play next : Bangkok Dangerous (Tyler)

biggrin

"River chase" punk: punk punk punk

Electronic, percusion, asian traditional instrumentation, orchestra, guitars... and I love this chill out tracks! !!!!

I'm the only one who thinks this score is far better than Eagle Eye. But probably i'm not alone when I say this is one of the most balanced scores from Tyler.

A mix of Spy Game, Beyond Rangoon and 60 seconds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Journey of Man - Benoit Jutras

Beautiful simplicity, an exotic work of thematic delight. There are some pop influenced cues but what makes this score work is a grandeur of the purely orchestral material especially the showstopper cue, "Journey of Man." An inspired, enchanting, soaring work that has become a personal favorite of mine over the years!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Alias Season 2 (Giacchino)
    More dramatic, more Giacchino, more techno!!!! punk punk punk

Underrated scores!

I love the Alias scores but I prefer the Season 1 issue ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Bourne Supremacy (powell)

Love it.

This weekend I will play "Goa" while I'm running in the beach ( mmm.....maybe)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hard Contract - Alex North

It's safe to assume I will never play this one while running on the beach.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    The Age of Innocence - Elmer Bernstein

There is something I don't like in Bernstein's albums and this one is no exception: he could compose truly beautiful pieces, but usually his albums as a whole always fail to impress me. Beside the main theme and the accompanying three-four great tracks, his albums always seems too long for me with way too many "filler" tracks that I am unable to enjoy.
    I would give 5 stars for those great themes but only 3 stars for the album as a whole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Aliens in the Attic - John Debney

A poor album. It flits around between so many different styles, sticking with none, it's virtually impossible to get through this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

A poor album. It flits around between so many different styles, sticking with none, it's virtually impossible to get through this.

Haha i admire your strength. Seriously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Stephane Moucha - Le Miroir et L'eau

Very fine score for a thriller. A bit of Yared and some modern day Herrmann.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Haha i admire your strength. Seriously.

Me too.

NP:AvP: Requiem (Brian Tyler)

Or how to put Horner, Goldenthal, Silvestri and Goldsmith and Tyler in the same album.

What Brian Tyler did in this score is really admirable. it's all what Rambo is not. All the things and all the "homenages" to the previous composers are done BRILLIANTLY!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    'xcept for the snoozefest that is THE FINAL DESTINATION.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

Or how to put Horner, Goldenthal, Silvestri and Goldsmith and Tyler in the same album.

What Brian Tyler did in this score is really admirable. it's all what Rambo is not. All the things and all the "homenages" to the previous composers are done BRILLIANTLY!

One issue... it's too Goddamn chaotic! NOISE NOISE NOISE. No subtlety whatsoever which is what made the three original Alien and 2 Silvestri's Predator scores so good! Tyler's score is the musical equivalent of a migraine headache.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    'xcept for the snoozefest that is THE FINAL DESTINATION.

Why do you mention The Final Destination?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

One issue... it's too Goddamn chaotic! NOISE NOISE NOISE. No subtlety whatsoever which is what made the three original Alien and 2 Silvestri's Predator scores so good! Tyler's score is the musical equivalent of a migraine headache.

-Erik-

Why do you think it's chaotic?? argumentation please!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Regarding Henry (Hans Zimmer)

I like to put this on every once in a while. It's such a simplistic score, but so effective in what it sets out to do: pull at the heart strings. The themes are devoid of subtleness, but that's what I love about it, no hidden layers, no disguised brilliance, just the instantly heartfelt melodies and groovy rhythms. I prefer this early emotional approach over his much more developed, but often boring style from 15 years later (The Dark Knight, Angels & Demons, Frost / Nixon).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Harry Gregson-Williams - Man on Fire

The iTunes version. It's a great score. It is unlistenable at times, harsh, violent. But the film is unbearable at times. Tony Scott in his commentary says it's about extremes and I agree. I saw it for the second time recently. Obsessed man makes a hell on Earth. Scott makes the movie give what it promises, the Denzel Washington character is disturbed and it transports into the way the film is made.

The notion of such revenge is rather scary. But so is the world the film takes place in. Scott says that in Latin America kidnapping is an industry. Corrupt police working with the kidnappers too. This is an action thriller that makes us think, has really strong characters playing off each other. And it's good to have seen Rachel Ticotin in a decent part again. The score gives justice to it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

Why do you think it's chaotic?? argumentation please!!!!

Because it's noisy? rolleyes