• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It's very noisy and it's far from being subtle. Goldenthal uses his trademark effects so much better.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:AvP: Requiem (Brian Tyler)

Or how to put Horner, Goldenthal, Silvestri and Goldsmith and Tyler in the same album.

What Brian Tyler did in this score is really admirable. it's all what Rambo is not. All the things and all the "homenages" to the previous composers are done BRILLIANTLY!

One issue... it's too Goddamn chaotic! NOISE NOISE NOISE. No subtlety whatsoever which is what made the three original Alien and 2 Silvestri's Predator scores so good! Tyler's score is the musical equivalent of a migraine headache.

-Erik-

Why do you think it's chaotic?? argumentation please!!!!

I can to decipher ANYTHING in those thicker than thicker orchestrations. When it all comes together it sounds like a muddy mess. BANG SMASH BOOM SMASH LOUD LOUD NOISE NOISE NOISE! I think maybe it's just do to the fact that it almost seems to play at the same level with no sense of dynamics. I will have to revisit the score again but every time I think about out all I can think about is how in your face and bloody annoying it can get.

I can't believe I'm about to turn off my Kunzel mix to re-listen to this score... rolleyes

-Erik-

PS - JESUS CHRIST!!!! shocked I nearly pissed myself... my lord that first track is ugly!!! BADABADABA BADABADABA BADABADABA BADABADABA!!! HIT THE TIMPANI HARDER. PUT YOUR FUCKING FIST THROUGH IT!!!!!! LOUDER LOUDER LOUDER!!!!!!!!!! rolleyes
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    'xcept for the snoozefest that is THE FINAL DESTINATION.

Why do you mention The Final Destination?

"All the things and all the "homenages" to the previous composers are done BRILLIANTLY! '
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's very noisy and it's far from being subtle. Goldenthal uses his trademark effects so much better.

But we aren't seriously comparing Goldenthal's graces and musicianship with Brian Tyler, are we? I Like his work, don't get me wrong, i am not very excited about his last 2-3 years though, but still comparing him with Goldenthal is also completely off and partly unfair to Brian to be honest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Harry Gregson-Williams - Man on Fire

The iTunes version. It's a great score. It is unlistenable at times, harsh, violent. But the film is unbearable at times. Tony Scott in his commentary says it's about extremes and I agree. I saw it for the second time recently. Obsessed man makes a hell on Earth. Scott makes the movie give what it promises, the Denzel Washington character is disturbed and it transports into the way the film is made.

The notion of such revenge is rather scary. But so is the world the film takes place in. Scott says that in Latin America kidnapping is an industry. Corrupt police working with the kidnappers too. This is an action thriller that makes us think, has really strong characters playing off each other. And it's good to have seen Rachel Ticotin in a decent part again. The score gives justice to it.

Absolutely love it. Very touching and emotional, perhaps the last really good score by HGW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's very noisy and it's far from being subtle. Goldenthal uses his trademark effects so much better.

But we aren't seriously comparing Goldenthal's graces and musicianship with Brian Tyler, are we? I Like his work, don't get me wrong, i am not very excited about his last 2-3 years though, but still comparing him with Goldenthal is also completely off and partly unfair to Brian to be honest.

I don't think it's that unfair on Brian. In fact it may be the nicest thing anyone's ever said about him!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Absolutely love it. Very touching and emotional, perhaps the last really good score by HGW.

Completly agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

It's a great score.

Absolutely love it.

My eyes must surely be deceiving me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I don't think it's that unfair on Brian. In fact it may be the nicest thing anyone's ever said about him!

The comparisons are due to the stylistic borrowings from Goldenthal's music in Tyler's work; not on actual compositional abilities, i am sure. Plus there are few individuals in film music that don't actually pale when set against Goldenthal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

It's a great score.

Absolutely love it.

My eyes must surely be deceiving me!

I've seen the movie and i loved how it served it. Plus, the songs are very effective and spot-on. There's melody in there, a style which he completely deprived of any kind of themes and in fact melody, later on, only to result it into complete drone clones.
  2. I would go as far as to say that it's the best Harry Gregson-Williams score as heard in film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NS: Aliens vs Predator: Requiem - Brian Tyler

NS? Yeah, Now Stopping. Fuck this is awful! Back to Kunzel... ahhhhh, The Raiders March. Much better.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I would go as far as to say that it's the best Harry Gregson-Williams score as heard in film.

I watched the film (didn't like it) and don't recall noticing the score at all! (Though perhaps the best Harry Gregson-Williams score is, indeed, the one you can't hear.)
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

The comparisons are due to the stylistic borrowings from Goldenthal's music in Tyler's work; not on actual compositional abilities, i am sure. Plus there are few individuals in film music that don't actually pale when set against Goldenthal.

Musicianship is musicianship, but remember that there is something called subtlety which Tyler doesn't have yet. Being loud for sake of being loud is not a virtue and that's what Tyler does quite a lot. His orchestrations are thick, VERY thick even, but there is not much sense of development in AVP: R. That's the thing. I love Decimation Proclamation as much as the other guy, but Tyler DOES need to learn subtlety. That's one of the reasons why I don't find him a film music promise or a guy to watch. He is just not much more than better orchestrated Remote Control, who also can refer to Goldsmith, Goldenthal or Horner when it's necessary. But it doesn't quite go further than a simple homage (yes, Jordi, this is how you spell it). He does have some rhythmic ideas here and there that are surely his, whcih you can see comparing AVP. Eagle Eye and Tokyo Drift, but it's STILL not something that gets him to be one of the greats today IMHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

The iTunes version. It's a great score. It is unlistenable at times, harsh, violent. But the film is unbearable at times.

Have you folks seen/heard the original Man on Fire (starring Scott Glenn)? John Scott's score for that is nothing short of awesome. Just check out the main theme from the Varese Anniversary Box Set (Vol 2) and see if you can not get hooked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote

NS? Yeah, Now Stopping. Fuck this is awful! Back to Kunzel... ahhhhh, The Raiders March. Much better.

-Erik-

All I can take of that score is a good 7 and a half minutes, so I made a short suite with basically the only music that is of any decent value.

Raiders March shits all over Requiem, so good decision. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Musicianship is musicianship, but remember that there is something called subtlety which Tyler doesn't have yet. Being loud for sake of being loud is not a virtue and that's what Tyler does quite a lot. His orchestrations are thick, VERY thick even, but there is not much sense of development in AVP: R. That's the thing. I love Decimation Proclamation as much as the other guy, but Tyler DOES need to learn subtlety. That's one of the reasons why I don't find him a film music promise or a guy to watch. He is just not much more than better orchestrated Remote Control, who also can refer to Goldsmith, Goldenthal or Horner when it's necessary. But it doesn't quite go further than a simple homage (yes, Jordi, this is how you spell it). He does have some rhythmic ideas here and there that are surely his, whcih you can see comparing AVP. Eagle Eye and Tokyo Drift, but it's STILL not something that gets him to be one of the greats today IMHO.

We actually agree on all points made. Except for the "not much better orchestrator than the mc dudes" one wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

The iTunes version. It's a great score. It is unlistenable at times, harsh, violent. But the film is unbearable at times.

Have you folks seen/heard the original Man on Fire (starring Scott Glenn)? John Scott's score for that is nothing short of awesome. Just check out the main theme from the Varese Anniversary Box Set (Vol 2) and see if you can not get hooked.

No, and i guess it's a completely different thing, right? Thanks for the recommendation. How would you describe the original score?
  4. I've heard it's actually jazzy. How is the original film? Tony Scott was actually optioned as the director and went as far as to cast the movie (Robert de Niro as Creasy) and scout locations in Italy. He went on to made Top Gun though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

No, and i guess it's a completely different thing, right? Thanks for the recommendation. How would you describe the original score?

Scott's score is more about the doomed relationship and that main theme is a killer-- so much melody and grace for a sad, lonely character who's found a bright, albeit brief spark of joy. It's a short score at 30-35 minutes but it makes up for the length with melody and a good 'old-fashioned' orchestral approach.

The main theme has been used in the Die Hard movie towards the end (just before the Christmas song).

I haven't seen the original movie sad There's no DVD of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And Top Gun is a good thing? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

AVP:R is quite possibly the worst score I've ever bought! vomit

I'm surprised you stopped the Kunzel for even a moment to put such junk on Erik.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Great GREAT flying sequences....and that's about it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

AVP:R is quite possibly the worst score I've ever bought! vomit

I'm surprised you stopped the Kunzel for even a moment to put such junk on Erik.

Had to make sure that what I was saying above was indeed true. It was a big mistake but I had to confirm my feelings. Never again will I do something so stupid. shame

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Aren't you too overreacting a bit? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Great GREAT flying sequences....and that's about it!

And some HOT Maverick/Ice Man action

But you're right... those flying sequences are fooking incredible... and of course "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

a lot.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh you will! As will I, as will we ALL! You just won't make that mistake again. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

If you are talking to me... No. Not at all. AVP:R is awful! And stopping my Kunzel mix to play AVP:R is one of the dumbest things I've ever done.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't think Erik is overreacting in the slightest.