• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    Southall wrote
    Slumdog Millionairre - A.R. Rahman

Such a GREAT album.

It is! bhangra punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited
    NP: Julie & Julia - Alexandre Desplat

There are only 2 or 3 composers - well, okay, maybe a few more then that - that give me the feeling of "why the fuck am I doing this to myself." Desplat is one of them. I never warmed up to him or his style however there are a few scores of his that I do like... and he wrote one of them this year; Coco Avant Chanel. Desplat, however, is a composer who I always want to give a second, third, fourth, fifth, etc chance to even though I know most of the time I never feel good about the score after I'm done with it. Again, why do I do this to myself?

Well, this is my first listen to Julie & Julia and for the most part it's bright and bouncy with a very distinct French flavour. But as is the case with most Desplat's themes both Julia and Julie's themes just played and I can't for the life of me remember a single, solitary note or the melody. We'll see how the rest holds up or does it float along without really saying much!

-Erik-

PS - "Waltz's... I hate these guys."
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

Zimer and his "Waltzes" too??? tongue

NP:Memoirs of a Geisha (Williams)

My score if I want to go to Japan / China

More than the theme wich I love is the orchestrations. Gorgeous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Hitman - Geoff Zanelli

It's a fun score. Sure, it's inspired by Bourne, but it's Zanelli's own theme that he took from Disturbia and used to great effect here. Good background listening. I might have to listen to his Outlander score to see if this is the case here.

Talking about Zanelli,

Yesterday I was watching Disturbia again (for personal reasons...) and I was thinking about 1 hour why the main theme was so familiar to me.....THE LION KING! Disturbia theme is a danger motif from The Lion King.

NP: Happy Feet Songs

The ones powell arranged (ok, there is not very much orchestra in there).

"Sometobody to love", "kiss /heartbeat hotel" and "boogie wonderland" (with Powell's theme )are particulary good.

There are a couple of themes and motifs in Disturbia, can you point it out on the album?

In regard to Happy Feet, it's a good album. I don't know how much work John had put into the songs though.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Julie & Julia - Alexandre Desplat

There are only 2 or 3 composers - well, okay, maybe a few more then that - that give me the feeling of "why the fuck am I doing this to myself." Desplat is one of them. I never warmed up to him or his style however there are a few scores of his that I do like... and he wrote one of them this year; Coco Avant Chanel. Desplat, however, is a composer who I always want to give a second, third, fourth, fifth, etc chance to even though I know most of the time I never feel good about the score after I'm done with it. Again, why do I do this to myself?

Well, this is my first listen to Julie & Julia and for the most part it's bright and bouncy with a very distinct French flavour. But as is the case with most Desplat's themes both Julia and Julie's themes just played and I can't for the life of me remember a single, solitary note or the melody. We'll see how the rest holds up or does it float along without really saying much!

-Erik-

This is what I feel like with most Desplat scores, and up until now it's only the loud, adventurous ones I've enjoyed, but Julie & Julia is gorgeous! I've listened to it three times in a day already..
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    This is what I feel like with most Desplat scores, and up until now it's only the loud, adventurous ones I've enjoyed, but Julie & Julia is gorgeous! I've listened to it three times in a day already..

It goes by rather quickly but doesn't have a lasting feeling. It's there but you don't really notice it so what's the point...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited
    NP: Great Composers: Georges Delerue - George Delerue

Aaaaaaah... much better! Delerue had an uncanny gift for melody and wrote some extremely strong string music. I don't listen to this man's stuff nearly as much as I should. shame

-Erik-
  1. NP: Adoration (Mychael Danna)

I think this is definitely one of the stronger things I've heard lately.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009
    NP: Titanic - James Horner

cool
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009 edited
    NP: Balto - James Horner

This is one of my favorite scores of all time, and probably my favorite James Horner score at the moment. I would like him to compose more music for animated films. Every single animated film that he has been the composer for has had a very good soundtrack. The Land Before Time is also an amazing score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was playing: Snow Falling On Cedars (James Newton Howard).

Probably my favourite Newton Howard score. But could be replaced for The Village or Signs any day.

I love the atmospheric sound. You always can feel de snow falling....

PS:Someday I have to put this operistic choral crescendo out of my playlist, because when you are relaxed and this tracks "appears".....

NP:Lazarus Project (Tyler).

Great to listen while i'm doing things in Excel.

it's a mix of Solaris hipnotic sound, and The Fountain pop melodic arrengements.

Great one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Simpsons Movie - Hans Zimmer

Not one of his top scores but I still enjoy a lot of stuff from this one like Release The Hounds, Thank You Boob Lady and World's Fattest Fertilizer Salesman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

Great to listen while i'm doing things in Excel.

I think I need to use that line in a review some time. Of course, I won't give you credit for having come up with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Nautilus wrote

it's a mix of Solaris hipnotic sound, and The Fountain pop melodic arrengements.

Great one.

I read in lazarus project features a vibraphone, it is played live? or it manipulated with some sound effect ?? Is Solaris played with that instrument instead of Xylophone too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Simpsons Movie - Hans Zimmer

Not one of his top scores but I still enjoy a lot of stuff from this one like Release The Hounds, Thank You Boob Lady and World's Fattest Fertilizer Salesman.

I think it's one of his most anonymous score. Kinda make sense too, given how every other track has been worked on by his associates. Sounds like all the recent RC animation scores not done by Hans. Paradoxically, it's "World's Fattest Fertilizer Salesman" that's my favorite track, and it's the Homer theme as written by Hans. And Bart's Doodle, and Doomsday is Family Time, as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Great Fantasy Adventure Album - Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops

RIP Maestro. Thank you for the wonderful albums!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Timeline (Tyler)

I love Aliens, Star Trek II, Alien 3 and Armaggedon.

The 3 first track are real "killers" punk punk In fact, the whole score is. In his time I couldn't finish my listen because it was a to over the top, but these days we are used to listen this things for 80 minutes! !

Tyler showed a strong personality, even with this little "influences" from other composers, with the thematic construction of his themes and orchestrations in his "hollywood" introduction. Sadly, he doesn't compose more stuff like these. Much more personal, thematic and "subtile" (little touches of guitar here, some percusion there..NOT THE WHOLE THING AT THE SAME TIME LIKE IN HIS RECENT SCORES.) Where are tracks so beautiful as "eternal" is in his lastest scores?

Timeline is thematically well devoloped, the tension is better constructed, and the orchestrations presents some wonderful solo instrument performances.

Thanks God DragonBall is a little come back to this style. (like Southall say well in his review)
  2. My first "Krull" suite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZGvJhfAGD8
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    justin boggan wrote
    My first "Krull" suite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZGvJhfAGD8

I though Krull was by James Horner. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Lazarus Project (Tyler)

I Want more like this from this composer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More snooze? God no.

I'm shocked to read this from you since you like The Fountain and Solaris.

Ok, Lazarus is not so overall good and with this mindblowing feeling, but it has some parts of it and a good main theme.

You're not seriously comparing Tyler's synth-drone with Clint Mansell, are you?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm going to get dragged to hell by everyone here for saying this:

Drag Me To Hell (Chris Young)

Listened to it some more, not a fan of this one because it primarily consists of ambience (terrific sounding ambience I might add) but I need something more in the style of Hellraiser to tie it all together. The always melodic approach and emotional connection I felt in his breakthrough scores are sorely missed here. Apart from the beginning and the great ending cues I just don't get what all the fuss is about. confused

Please give me some time to pack guys.

Turn the volume up; way up. Please don't tell me you're listening to it through computer speakers...turn off the lights. Then you'll know what it's all about wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Timeline is thematically well devoloped, the tension is better constructed, and the orchestrations presents some wonderful solo instrument performances.

It's one of his best scores indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Great one.

I read in lazarus project features a vibraphone, it is played live? or it manipulated with some sound effect ?? Is Solaris played with that instrument instead of Xylophone too?

Both scores appear to have organic elements out of real acoustic instruments, but heavily manipulated during the mixing process.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Great Composers: Georges Delerue - George Delerue

Aaaaaaah... much better! Delerue had an uncanny gift for melody and wrote some extremely strong string music. I don't listen to this man's stuff nearly as much as I should. shame

-Erik-

Nobody does i am afraid; the man's a genius in all essence and i don't think anyone doubts this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I'm shocked to read this from you since you like The Fountain and Solaris.

Ok, Lazarus is not so overall good and with this mindblowing feeling, but it has some parts of it and a good main theme.

You're not seriously comparing Tyler's synth-drone with Clint Mansell, are you?

Indeed. That anyone would think Mansell's "emperor's new clothes" scores are even remotely as good as that middle-ranking Tyler score simply defies belief.
  3. NP - "The Launch" - Apollo 13 - James Horner

That is a fine bit of french horn writing there.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Turn the volume up; way up. Please don't tell me you're listening to it through computer speakers...turn off the lights. Then you'll know what it's all about wink

About Drag Me to Hell, I know Demetris, believe me I've played it loud on good quality speakers (no PC), the horror moments sound incredible from a technical POV, they sound massive, but musically, it's nothing what I would call incredible. In fact it annoys me that too much is based on in-your-face shock ambience rather than thematic consistence. I don't think I can get through another listen. Hellraiser 1 & 2, now that's a different ball game.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    The Letter That Never Came - Lemony Snicket: A Series of Unfortunate Events.

This is the track i always to it frequently. I don't know why but i just keep on listen to this track. Its very haunting, heart touching, wonderful, beautiful, simple and elegant. This is the best cue ever written by Thomas Newman. In fact, whole score is wonderful. Hats off to him! I believe this score should have won Oscar.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

About Drag Me to Hell, I know Demetris, believe me I've played it loud on good quality speakers (no PC), the horror moments sound incredible from a technical POV, they sound massive, but musically, it's nothing what I would call incredible. In fact it annoys me that too much is based on in-your-face shock ambience rather than thematic consistence. I don't think I can get through another listen. Hellraiser 1 & 2, now that's a different ball game.

Maybe you're not really into this genre?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Land Before Time - James Horner

Inspired by franz_conrad to listen to this. And I thank him - what a great album!