• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I've no experience with either The Neverending Story or Until September.

One of the good things about topics like this is the drip, drip drip feed of recommended scores to hunt down to try.

Cheers!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. For The Neverending Story, what's the story with Klaus Doldinger and Giorgio Moroder - and Die Unendliche Geschichte? There seems to be two versions of the soundtrack.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    For The Neverending Story, what's the story with Klaus Doldinger and Giorgio Moroder - and Die Unendliche Geschichte? There seems to be two versions of the soundtrack.

I'm not sure? The German release is only Doldinger's score which the American release had shared duties with Moroder.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've no experience with either The Neverending Story or Until September.

One of the good things about topics like this is the drip, drip drip feed of recommended scores to hunt down to try.

Cheers!

UNTIL SEPTEMBER is well worth your time Alan, it's very thematic and melodic with a lot of variety and at 35 minutes never outstays it's welcome.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011
    i would have chosen Temple of Doom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    i would have chosen Temple of Doom

confused

Then why the sleep sleep sleep ?
  3. It may have been a comment on how late the 1984 entry was in arriving?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    I listened to The NeverEnding Story last night (but not the song) - both the Moroder and Doldinger parts and quite enjoyed both. If I'd heard it before I made my choices it would probably have received a "mention in despatches".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have the German release which contains only Doldinger's score, I have the other release which is devided with Moroder's score and contains the Limahl song on LP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I also have the version that includes both (a Japanese CD, in fact). I love both the Moroder and Doldinger material with equal vigor. Song too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011
    So Alan before I put up the zzzzzzzzzzzzzz again on with the next year. Remember when you finish I will start
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    My first choice for 1984 would without competition be Morricone's Once upon a time in America. This has got to be the most nostalgic score in history and is in my top3 of all-time favourite scores (alongside The good, the bad and the ugly and Conan the barbarian). The Indiana Jones score has some wonderful themes, but I find the underscore way too Mickey Mousy to enjoy it fully. Timmer mentioned Until september and I agree fully that it's a wonderful score worth mentioning. Would be my second entry as well. The Spock score isn't a score that appeals much to me, though more listens is warranted before I can make a better decision.

Peter smile
  4. Once Upon a Time in America is definitely my choice.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. As I mentioned elsewhere I don't like the genre I'd put Once Upon A Time In America, though I do have the score. I only listen to an unused theme of Morricone's.

As for Until September I missed a chance at the Intrada release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Once Upon a Time in America is definitely my choice.

punk Pawel punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    My first choice for 1984 would without competition be Morricone's Once upon a time in America. This has got to be the most nostalgic score in history and is in my top3 of all-time favourite scores (alongside The good, the bad and the ugly and Conan the barbarian). The Indiana Jones score has some wonderful themes, but I find the underscore way too Mickey Mousy to enjoy it fully. Timmer mentioned Until september and I agree fully that it's a wonderful score worth mentioning. Would be my second entry as well. The Spock score isn't a score that appeals much to me, though more listens is warranted before I can make a better decision.

Peter smile

Ah, I forgot all about OUATIA. It wouldn't be my favourite, but it would definitely be in the "honorable mentions" category.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Btw, Pawel, I once read an interview where Zimmer said that "Once upon a time in America" was his all-time favourite score too. But I've also heard that his all-time favourite score was "The mission".

I've actually just sent a message to Zimmer on facebook to clarify this essential question. No doubt he's way too busy to reply to such a silly fanboy question. biggrin

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    The Indiana Jones score has some wonderful themes, but I find the underscore way too Mickey Mousy to enjoy it fully.

rolleyes
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Btw, Pawel, I once read an interview where Zimmer said that "Once upon a time in America" was his all-time favourite score too. But I've also heard that his all-time favourite score was "The mission".

I've heard it was ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST too.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Also his favorite theme was either Once Upon a Time in the West or Schifrin's Mission: Impossible.

Nobody knows.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

I didn't realise Once Upon A Time In America was 1984, a very high ranking from me for this excellent score.
  7. Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote

I've heard it was ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST too.

To close the inspiration subject here, I'd add that Once upon a Time in America was the basis for one of the motifs in Pearl Harbor (December 7th), Deborah Theme had a huge influence on The Holiday (the piano figure at the beginning and rather than a desperate rip-off in Pearl Harbor, here it's a homage, because a main character is also a huge fan of Ennio), I still haven't noticed one of the themes in Sherlock Holmes, as it's said to be.

The Mission is a key score for The Lion King, most of it being The Mission meets Mozart's Requiem and a pan flute figure stolen from Casualties of War.

Another theme mentioned by Hans as his all-time favourite is Carpenter's Attack on Precinct 13th (once he asked Carpenter if he can steal it), this (or Schifrin's Scorpio motif from Dirty Harry) had an influence on a small motif from The Peacemaker. Yes, Hans is a huge fan of Schifrin as well - Timmer could find Hans's taste very good, actually, the only bad stuff he had to say about Barry was that his style became a tad repetitive in the 90s.

A funny anecdote about his contacts with Ennio Morricone and about his education, which he always ironizes about lacking (Hans was self-taught, his piano teacher quit after "a few days"). Once he was with Morricone in a museum or somewhere and they both took a look at an original Beethoven (or Mozart) manuscript. Hans recalls that Morricone was looking at it and asking full-of-awe questions like "Why did he do this figure here? How it goes up/down?...". Hans took a look at it himself and thought "That's one messy handwriting..." biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011 edited
    Loved that last bit Pawel, great story biggrin

I don't know how much truth there is in this but I heard that David Arnold went to one of the recording sessions for a John Barry album ( it might have been The Beyondness of Things? ), Arnold was looking at the music sheet and Barry came over and turned it the right way up for him.
  8. Wow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2011
    Great stuff, Pawel.

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I don't know how much truth there is in this but I heard that David Arnold went to one of the recording sessions for a John Barry album ( it might have been The Beyondness of Things? ), Arnold was looking at the music sheet and Barry came over and turned it the right way up for him.

lol
    Though in Arnold's defense: the man has such a great sense of humour that he might just have been needling Barry (if the story is true).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Barry, by all accounts has a great sense of humour too so who knows? I did hear the story from someone who was actually there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011
    Got a reply from Zimmer on facebook on his alltime favourite score:

---
    "once upon a time....in the west", followed by "...in America". Mind you, "The Mission" is really brilliant as well.
    ---

Guess that settles it then.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011
    He has good taste.