• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010
    David OC wrote
    As another Australian let me provide a hopefully more objective view and add that I honestly think Christopher Gordon is the most overrated composer of today considering the proportion of praise he regularly has bestowed upon him.

You're wrong, but we'll take your opinion into consideration nonetheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Medicine Man - Jerry Goldsmith

Last time I mentioned how I cannot really like Total Recall. Now, Medicine Man is a score by Goldsmith that is much more fun to listen to. I prefer this melodic side of Goldsmith, that's for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010 edited
    My favorite work by Gordon is actually one David doesn't mention, namely his Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games music. Contained therein is some of the most stirring and haunting "celebratory" music I have ever heard, no exaggeration. That he composed such a work is already enough to rate him in the top 10% of composers, in my opinion. And to say such things as David says about scores like Daybreakers and Mao's Last Dancer indicates a certain perspective on music which, while not necessarily wrong, is certainly incomplete. Those scores may not be packed with wall-to-wall melodic mastery, but there is scarcely a moment that goes by in either score where Gordon is not doing something fascinating with the orchestra to create a certain feeling, and his ability to do that - create an exact, memorable sonic/musical feeling for a specific scene or concept - goes far beyond what any of the RC-style composers can do, despite the latter fools theoretically having a larger palette of techniques and equipment to work with.

David, based on your comments I am going to presume that you also prefer 80s Williams to 2000s Williams. If
    you disagree then I have misjudged you and I apologize. smile

NP: Creation - Christopher Young
    This is some music punk
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    keky wrote

Last time I mentioned how I cannot really like Total Recall. Now, Medicine Man is a score by Goldsmith that is much more fun to listen to. I prefer this melodic side of Goldsmith, that's for sure.

I had problems with the south american composition in this score. In fact, I always have problems with Goldsmith going "latin" because he always compose too joyful stuff.

But after some time I focus my listening in the GORGEOUS main theme, the dark action music and some well integrated synth with acustic guitar.

Everybody mentions "the trees" but...." a meal & bath" is my favourite cue. punk

NP:Ghost and the darkness (Goldsmith)

Amazing.one of my favs from the Maestro.

The combination of Total Recall rythms with african vocal work is pure genius!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    I had problems with the south american composition in this score. In fact, I always have problems with Goldsmith going "latin" because he always compose too joyful stuff.

Yeah, we need all our music to be miserable. How dare he! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    David OC wrote
    As another Australian let me provide a hopefully more objective view and add that I honestly think Christopher Gordon is the most overrated composer of today considering the proportion of praise he regularly has bestowed upon him. Not that he isn't an outstanding composer at all, it's just that the way he's treated like the Second Coming is absolutely ridiculous. What's he put out there anyway that any one person's familiar with...................7 or 8 scores for God's sake??? Mao's Last Dancer has one beautiful theme but is mostly filled with cliched oriental music. Salem's Lot and Daybreakers both have good moments, even inspired ones but long, long stretches of boring suspense music. Neither is anything special. Moby Dick the same. I'd say On the Beach is far and away the best thing he's ever done. Some people seriously need to take the halo off this guy's head. When he's produced another 15 or 20 scores of this quality you might actually have a case that lives up to the reputation he has..

Thanks, I'll file that directly into the shredder.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Nautilus wrote
    keky wrote

Everybody mentions "the trees" but...." a meal & bath" is my favourite cue. punk

I agree, A Meal and a Bath is the highlight of the CD beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    This is some music punk

Oh, absolutely. Scribe i think you'll like this one here. The secret in their eyes which is reviewed here:

http://maintitles.net/reviews/the-secret-in-their-eyes/

Wonderful mature drama about life-determining choices, love, revenge. Oscar-winning film in the best foreign category with a poetically solemn and beautiful piano - string driven score by Federico Jusid. Recommended.

movie info:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305806/fullcredits
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

Be careful with that; those things are nasty!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    David OC wrote
    As another Australian let me provide a hopefully more objective view and add that I honestly think Christopher Gordon is the most overrated composer of today considering the proportion of praise he regularly has bestowed upon him.

LSH wrote

Indeed! I don't know how anyone can listen to something like the Rugby World Cup music and call Gordon's an overrated composer! Gordon is a breathe of fresh air and is without a doubt one of the most talent and knowledgeable composers working today.

Mao's Last Dancer had one good theme... rolleyes

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote
    This is some music punk

Oh, absolutely. Scribe i think you'll like this one here. The secret in their eyes which is reviewed here:

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check it out! It sounds like it deserves more than the 3 stars given in that review?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    David OC wrote

Gordon's done some great scores for some very mediochre TV and film, a shame the tunnel visioned Hollywood execs can't take their blinkers off and unleash him on some big blockbuster.

NP : YELLOW SUBMARINE - The Beatles & George Martin

Great album split into songs and score, both are excellent! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Atham wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    David, if only everybody else getting the big assignments out there today (esp. the younger hollywood composers) wrote at the levels of quality Gordon does. His music is flourishing with delightful themes, rich harmonies and imagination and he's one of the few who can actually write and compose music in the proper way. And how does it happen that you being Australian renders your opinion on Gordon more objective than others?

What he said!

David, your comment "Christopher Gordon is the most overrated composer of today" will stir great controversy!

Word!

I think the thing is, the praise he's given on these boards is quite different from the modesty of the man himself. He's no diva, I can assure you. When you compare it to the self-satisfaction that exudes from those who actually are at the top, and will be able to do another 15-20 scores in a reasonable time frame (that would be more than Gordon's lifetime at the current rate), overrated is the last word that comes to mind. Even Desplat I could take is overrated, or Zimmer, or Williams, or Goldsmith over at FSM, but Gordon? Do that many people even know his work?

EDIT. To be honest, as another Australian (not that that really matters, but it seemed to here), I'm really surprised that a fan of orchestral film music could take such exception to Gordon getting some recognition in this small corner of the world. It's all opinion in the end, but I never did think I'd see that opinion.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Everquest II - Laura Karpman

What's this? A fully orchestral score by a terribly under-utilized composer, with all the creative and musical breathing room that the video game medium allows, and I've never heard a single mention of it? How is that even possible?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Also, I must say that I really don't see what being a fellow countryman of a composer has anything to do with the validity of one's opinion of said composer.

unless you were from, say, Zaire or Papau New Guinea or some such place and the composer in question was the only composer in the world from your country, then I can see some positive bias...but we're not talking about such extremes here...
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE ROCKETEER - James Horner

cool punk

Saw the film again yesterday after so long... The score made it very enjoyable!

oh the movie, I think I would like to see that one again some day, in good quality of course wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: In My Sleep - Conrad Pope

Curious little score that's an interesting mix of Desplat meets Williams meets Goldsmith. The opening cue contains these lovely flute flutters that instantly brings Desplat to mind. The second cue heads into War of the Worlds territory with the choppy, aggressive string ostinatos and pounding timpani with brass bursts.

As you get deeper into the score it gets much more atmospheric but the orchestral colors are always there. Typically, when you think of atmospheric writing you might think of drones, long notes and not much interesting happening musically... but Pope always has something interesting going on weather driving a cue forward with a little electronic back beat or string pulses with harp that reminds me a bit of Goldsmith's Basic Instinct or those Desplat's like flute flutters which are always welcome... such a pleasing orchestral colour.

There are a few action licks here and there... "Hiding the Knife" treads closely to Minority Report but don't be expecting massive blow your mind Williamseque action cues here... it's not that type of score. This one is small and reflective. There are burst of horns and trumpets sprinkled throughout but mostly Pope has written this intimate score for piano, strings and woodwinds. I'm not sure the 63 minute plus running time will keep your attention but I'd say that if you like any of Desplat's smaller scores then this one might work for you.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    David OC wrote

LSH wrote

Indeed! I don't know how anyone can listen to something like the Rugby World Cup music and call Gordon's an overrated composer! Gordon is a breathe of fresh air and is without a doubt one of the most talent and knowledgeable composers working today.

Mao's Last Dancer had one good theme... rolleyes

-Erik-

Mao's Last Dancer has some of the most heartfelt themes i've heard last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    -Erik-

Sounds intruiging! But are there any melodies? Or at least any kind of motifically repeated ideas ala Desplat's Birth?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    -Erik-

Sounds intruiging! But are there any melodies? Or at least any kind of motifically repeated ideas ala Desplat's Birth?

There is a piano theme that I can recall that is first heard in the open track (almost "Sean's Theme" from Minority Report) but nothing along the lines of a leitmotivic score like Williams. However, the score is cohesive... melodic ideas or certain colors are repeated or played in some sort of variation throughout. For instance, those flute flutters are present quite a bit... not sure what they represent but then are usually backed by a string line and some sort of warm synth bed underneath it... give the track "Confession" a try. There's lots of that kind of color in the score but the score is more atmosphere than melodic.

I wish I had the musical chops to describe the music better but the best I can do is compare it to other composers work... especially those composers Pope has worked with. Plus, there's a bit of Herrmann in there as well especially in the action cue "Showdown" and "Underwater."

-Erik-
  3. Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    -Erik-

I think I'll be buying that one, from Erik's description of it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I am sold too.
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE ROCKETEER - James Horner

cool punk

Saw the film again yesterday after so long... The score made it very enjoyable!

oh the movie, I think I would like to see that one again some day, in good quality of course wink

It's on Prime a la carte. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Scribe wrote
    NP: Everquest II - Laura Karpman

What's this? A fully orchestral score by a terribly under-utilized composer, with all the creative and musical breathing room that the video game medium allows, and I've never heard a single mention of it? How is that even possible?

My comment

My preferred playlist:

Main Title 2.18
    Character Creation 3.36
    Fallen Gate 2.44
    Freeport 3.46
    The Commonlands 2.56
    Antonica 3.00
    Deathfist Citadel 4.30
    Temple of Cazic Thule 2.20
    Qeynos 4.58
    Thundering Steppes 3.34
    Tower of the Drafling 3.49
    Main Title Long 3.45

VERY ENJOYABLE !!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Wow, how on earth did you even find that comment? Excellent smile Glad I'm not the only one.
  6. Search --> Everquest --> Done !

It's not hard...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Oh. Yeah, I forgot there was an inline search, I always only search for topic titles. And there are not exactly going to be an abundance of hits for "Everquest"!
  7. Hopefully a lot more hits from now on. wink
  8. Players - Jerry Goldsmith

A charming little work, definitely worth it for the action during 'Winning Streak' and 'A Final Decision'. And the secondary theme.

The softer cues need some more listens, but I'm thankful for those two tracks alone. So yes, very charming indeed. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The Wolfman - Danny Elfman et al
    So glad this score ended up getting used and released.
    "The Travelling Montage" FTW! beer