• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Mulan (Goldsmith)

A long promo and a short realease.

But....this score is gorgeous, sublime!!!

the rythms, the asian instrumentaton, the little electronics, the epic....and the action (his best since Rambo)! All is perfect!!

Yes! it is Jordi! But it's so obvious that nobody replies you....

face-palm-mt

What? What did you say???

Oh man...I don't know if Secret of NIMH is better or not.

Mulan is exotic and powerful and NIMH is magic and dense. I think both are great examples of Godsmith style of composition for each dedace.( 80's and 90's)

NP:Cleopatra (Jones)

No zimmer, No yared, No Horner...the composer who mixed the old fashioned sound with the new techniques of composition was Jones.

Cleopatra is my favourite of his 3 tv scores. Merlin contains looong and boring passages, Dinotopia is too joyful...So Cleopatra is the most enjoyable!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009
    Can someone please get Jordi his pills!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

No zimmer, No yared, No Horner...the composer who mixed the old fashioned sound with the new techniques of composition was Jones.

Cleopatra is my favourite of his 3 tv scores. Merlin contains looong and boring passages, Dinotopia is too joyful...So Cleopatra is the most enjoyable!

I agree. But give me John Scott´s "Antony and Cleopatra" anyday.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LA GUERRE DU FEU ( QUEST FOR FIRE ) - Philippe Sarde

A score with incredible orchestral colour, one word....WOW!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I agree. But give me John Scott´s "Antony and Cleopatra" anyday.

Of course! But we are talking about another level of score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE RIDDLE OF THE SANDS - Howard Blake

I find myself skipping past The Duellists which this score shares the CD with because I just love Riddle of The Sands so much, lyrically thematic and gorgeously exotic in a mysterious way.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Everquest II (Laura Karpman)

The score for the online RPG, with brilliant themes and providing powerful orchestral statements that are as good as any traditional film score by (insert your favourite composer here). Mrs. Karpman does away with the usually videogame way of synthetic underscoring boredom and has written a truly masterful symphonic soundtrack with an emphasis on memorable fanfares and splendidly developed melodies. If you haven't heard Everquest II, you're missing out on one great game score.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : IL BUONO, IL BRUTTO, IL CATTIVO - Ennio Morricone

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: The simpsons (Zimmer and a lot of guys).

Ok. It's bland.

You can go ahead and replace that with "bad".
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009 edited
    NP : Law Abiding Citizen - Brian Tyler

Lots of underscore that kinda rumbles with a sense of intensity. The director seems to be really happy with it.

EDIT

It also reminds me a bit of Harry Gregson Williams' urban scores
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Ok. It's bland.

No, i can't. Bad is Sharktale or Madagascar 1&2....

NP:Lust Caution (Desplat)

I love it! So sensual...so hipnotic. The main theme is pretty good (so good , that he used it in the golden compass)

I usually find Desplat boring, but I like : Birth, The painted veil, Lust Caution and the Golden Compass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Ok. It's bland.

How is it any different?
  2. NP: AI - Artificial Intelligence (John Williams)

Every now and then I wonder what Kubrick's version of this film would have been like. I would give the film we have now, and everything in it, just to see that version. It might not be better, but a Kubrick film is a rarer (and often better) thing than a Spielberg film.

One thing I would be giving up, however, is one of John Williams' very best scores. And that would be a hard thing to give up. There's no way Kubrick would have had music like this in his film (except for the Rosenkavalier waltz, and even that wouldn't have featured in the same way). But it's an incredible score from Williams, and I believe it should have won him his sixth Oscar.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    Cartouche Cyril Morin

I'm listening to the full CD at Musicme.com I think this might be worth it. Intimate and bold action themes for this period movie. Not sure if this is a remake of the original film from the 60s that Delerue scored.
  3. NP: Mao's Last Dancer (Gordon)

The sushi was yummy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Mao's Last Dancer (Gordon)

Friggin!

Where can it be purchased from?

Tintin wrote
    Cartouche Cyril Morin

I'm listening to the full CD at Musicme.com I think this might be worth it. Intimate and bold action themes for this period movie. Not sure if this is a remake of the original film from the 60s that Delerue scored.

Ooh! I must check this out. It's from a 2009 movie for TV.
  4. BhelPuri wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Friggin!

I got it off an australian retailer called JB Hi Fi. I don't think they sell online, unfortunately. It shouldn't take too long for it to hit amazon, though i imagine that will be with a bit of a premium.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: Zooster's breakout remixes :P

"once upon a time in Africa" (God, this track was really good!) , "Rescue me", "Foofie", "Alex on the spot"

This theme is a killer!!!!

I think Madagascar 2 is bashed way too much. The score isn't bad. I actually enjoy it a lot, but would have liked to see more score released.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Ok. It's bland.

Ok wait a second.... you were just praising it. Now you're bashing it.... confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Friggin!

I got it off an australian retailer called JB Hi Fi. I don't think they sell online, unfortunately. It shouldn't take too long for it to hit amazon, though i imagine that will be with a bit of a premium.

How is it like?
  5. I like it. I already liked it, as this isn't the first time I've heard it, but there's an intelligence to Gordon's writing - head as well as heart - which is hard to resist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed there is smile Stylistically?
  6. The score divides into four parts.
    - The western approach to Eastern music --> symphony orchestra and Chinese instruments play classic-style oriental melodies. This section of the score tends to be bright and energetic.
    - The love theme --> a beguiling melody that
    - The source cues --> a number of the dances in the film are original compositions by Gordon. 'Madame Mao's Modern Ballet' is a classic piece of propaganda music. 'Free Dance' hints at Bartok and West Side Story. 'Brush dance' is a dance piece that features the themes of the score.
    - More dramatic underscore -- heavier pieces for the darker times in the main character's life. There is one piece, 'Dance of Longing', that stands out for me -- feels like it might have come from ON THE BEACH.

The Gordon stuff totals around 48 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote

He leaves us in suspense!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I'm sure he means "The love theme --> a beguiling melody that one!"

I can't wait to go to JB Hi-Fi tomorrow and get it! I loooove Gordon's music!!! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Michael although the Western orchestra on Eastern Music approach must be really good in order to win me over, i am so tired of these things, with very few exceptions. But Gordon is indeed somewhere to pay attention to!
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Thanks Michael although the Western orchestra on Eastern Music approach must be really good in order to win me over, i am so tired of these things, with very few exceptions. But Gordon is indeed somewhere to pay attention to!

I agree, there's been a lot of it. He does bring a level of class to it, like John Williams did with MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA though. It's more than a breathy flute score.

One of the fortunate things is that he got to write the various source cues. 'Free Dance', 'Modern Ballet' and 'Dance of Longing' introduce a lot of variety into the score to contrast with the more traditional stuff.

Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Ha. My old habit of jumping to the next sentence and forgetting to come back and finish the last one. The very definition of 'getting ahead of yourself'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Close Encounters... (Williams)

I remember buy the Williams/Spielberg collaboration allbum and I never listen the suite from close enconters. I find it , boring. And actually the suite is not very good, it lack the secondary action motif and the performance is not very good.

The whole score, though, is one of Williams best scores. Mixing dark and agressive music, with really melodic and choral stuff. How I said the little action motif is really addictive.

dark, beautiful and creative!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Close Encounters... (Williams)

The whole score, though, is one of Williams best scores.

I agree! I'd love to see some sort of discussion about Roy Neary's motivations at the end of the film. Steven, Erik - any views?
  8. I personally have great respect for any man who puts ideas above people. Roy Neary is such a man.