• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I love the score to Dune by toto and Eno, still IMO the best score to any of Frank Herbert's film or TV adaptations. Did you know that Quincy Jones was first touted to be scoring it.

I did not. How did Jones know Lynch?

Of course, Pink Floyd was originally supposed to have scored DUNE -- in the earlier Jodorowsky version that never happened.

No idea how Jones knew Lynch ( if that was the case ), Quincy obviously knows a lot of movers and shakers in both the film and music industry. Unfortunately I know nothing behind his involvement other than the fact it was printed in the old Soundtrack Collectors Quarterly magazine .

I really want to see the documentary about Jodorowsky's DUNE, what a wild film that would have been, I'm sure you're aware Thor that ALIEN was partly birthed out of the unused concepts from that project.

BTW, have you seen it?*

*The Jodorowsky doc not Alien wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    I believe Toto and Eno did not end up too far away from what Pink Floyd might have delivered.

Impossible to know but I'd love to have heard the result.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HURRY UP, WE'RE DREAMING - M83

I believe it was Bregt who turned me on to M83, great stuff!
  1. PawelStroinski wrote
    An interesting hypothesis here. Though, as with a film and a lot of scores, structurally, the emotional setpiece comes actually somewhere in the middle (the exquisite Kitty Hawk!).

Well, I think my hypothesis still works because generally you will have the dramatic climax towards the end but not actually at the VERY end...so Kitty Hawk can be the climax, tracks 2 and 3 could be the resolution and track 1 could be the end credits... wink If you think about it that way you can almost excuse the random Aliens track as the pretend story's sole darker action/suspense bit which gives way to the imminent (previous) Kitty Hawk track!
  2. NP: DUNE (1979) - Klaus Schulze

This also is an interesting album if you like ambient electronica.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    No idea how Jones knew Lynch ( if that was the case ), Quincy obviously knows a lot of movers and shakers in both the film and music industry. Unfortunately I know nothing behind his involvement other than the fact it was printed in the old Soundtrack Collectors Quarterly magazine .

I really want to see the documentary about Jodorowsky's DUNE, what a wild film that would have been, I'm sure you're aware Thor that ALIEN was partly birthed out of the unused concepts from that project.

BTW, have you seen it?*

*The Jodorowsky doc not Alien wink

Yeah, I saw it a couple of years ago:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Fascinating film about a fascinating process. The mind really boggles at the talent involved. That being said, it would also have been intriguing to hear a Quincy Jones score for this story. For some reason, I have a hard time imagining him in this landscape even if he was a versatile composer.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, I could never have imagined Toto to be considered and was very disappointed when I heard they were on board but they 'knocked it right out of the ball park'.

I wasn't exactly thrilled when Quincy was announced ( I suspect that at that time I was hoping for Goldsmith to score it or maybe John Williams ) but at the same time I was intrigued by an 'outside of the box' choice on a big sci-fi film, it would certainly have been interesting to hear Quincy's take, his talent and versatility is without question.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The whole film would obviously have been scored like this.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Well, I could never have imagined Toto to be considered and was very disappointed when I heard they were on board but they 'knocked it right out of the ball park'.

I wasn't exactly thrilled when Quincy was announced ( I suspect that at that time I was hoping for Goldsmith to score it or maybe John Williams ) but at the same time I was intrigued by an 'outside of the box' choice on a big sci-fi film, it would certainly have been interesting to hear Quincy's take, his talent and versatility is without question.

Do you remember when exactly was the announcement made? I am curious if he wasn't supposed to score the film when Ridley Scott was still directing it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. And this is the Fremen theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXUQlmO-L8s
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can't remember Pawel. I also don't remember Ridley being attached to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

biggrin

Corking tune btw. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And this is the Fremen theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXUQlmO-L8s

Only if Michael Caine starred wink
  5. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

biggrin

Corking tune btw. cool

It really is, although unfortunately it'll always be "the Austin Powers theme" to me shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2016
    Not to me, I knew it years* before its use in that.

*Otherwise known as decades wink
  6. Is it possible that Dino de Laurentiis, who worked with Queen on Flash Gordon, had more of a say in hiring Toto than David Lynch had?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Is it possible that Dino de Laurentiis, who worked with Queen on Flash Gordon had more of a say in hiring Toto than David Lynch had?

Yeah, that's probable. Lynch has tried to disassociate himself from this film all his life, so it's clear that he didn't have the artistic control he usually has; which may also apply to the musical choice.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. NP: The Beatles Live at the Hollywood Bowl (1977/2016)

A compilation of live recordings made at two different concerts during the mid 60s. The band declined a release due to unsatisfactory sound quality. Only in 1977 George Martin would sit down and arrange a album. The expanded (Sorry, Thor!) premier release on CD accompanies the documentary Eight Days a Week.

Modern sound engineering not withstanding the lack of sonic quality is still palpable. So this CD is IMO chiefly of archival interest.

For any fan of the Fab Four it's a must buy for sure.

cool Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Is it possible that Dino de Laurentiis, who worked with Queen on Flash Gordon had more of a say in hiring Toto than David Lynch had?

Yeah, that's probable. Lynch has tried to disassociate himself from this film all his life, so it's clear that he didn't have the artistic control he usually has; which may also apply to the musical choice.

Yes, it does seem likely. As for the film, despite its many flaws it is just so damn watchable, a great cast ( even Sting is good ), brilliant designs, I love it.
  8. Timmer wrote
    I can't remember Pawel. I also don't remember Ridley being attached to it.

Ridley Scott was developing Dune after Alien. Then a personal tragedy struck, his older brother died of cancer and he wanted to do something very quickly, so he jumped ships and did Blade Runner instead.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahh! I do vaguely remember. A Ridley Scott DUNE would have been very interesting indeed.
  9. Beatles: It just occurred to be that this is the first Beatles album I have that doesn't say EMI on its sleeve any more but Universal Music. How they managed to ruin that distinguished a record company still puzzles me.
  10. NP: Collage (2016) - James Horner

The CD arrived today. I went strait to the concerto. I will give the film music cues a listen later. This is most pleasant Horner. The beginning is magical indeed. As with Pas De Deux I would have wished for the solo instruments to have some more moments to shine. Another parallel to the former concerto seems to be that Horner revisited techniques he fine tuned for Battle Beyond the Stars and his Star Trek scores. So he comes full circle.
    The concerto will probably not go down in the canon of contemporary classical music. A nice addition to any Horner collection this album surely is.

Volker
  11. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Yes, it does seem likely. As for the film, despite its many flaws it is just so damn watchable, a great cast ( even Sting is good ), brilliant designs, I love it.

Indeed. Many flaws. Many things done right too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2016
    NP: &i (Kate Havnevik)

I was in a jury with Kate this past week, so I wanted to check out some of her solo albums on Spotify. Lovely stuff -- sorta alternative, dreamy electropop with elements of trip hop. Worth checking out if you like artists like Röyksopp, Schiller, Björk and so on.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. NP: One of These Nights (1975) - The Eagles

A really nice album. And when it comes to Journey of the Sorcerer, I guess the answer is still 42. wink

Volker
  13. NP: Mirage (1977) - Klaus Schulze

Supreme ambient electronica. Up there with Brian Eno and early Tangerine Dream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2016
    NP : THE CLOUD MESSENGER - Gustav holst

He did more than just The Planets wink
  14. Does it say that on his tombstone? tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2016
    Yeah!