• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Looking forward to listening to that show tonight. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012
    Also if you scroll down below THE ARTIST now, you'll find 10 honorable mentions in micro-reviews, from 2011! Enjoy!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Demetris wrote
    Added The Iron Lady by Thomas Newman, a gentle and emotional score.

This IS the best score of 2011, but I wouldn't call it gentle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012 edited
    For 2011, my most played tracks were

Hope of Labour is the Cause of the World from The Miner's Hymns by Jóhan Jóhannson
    Fantastic finale to a work for brass by the Icelandic composer. His first film score too I think. Quite a heavy loaded score, very moody and slow. I like quite a bit of his other work, but some of it turns me of. He got some fame this year for the music in the Battle LA trailer.

River and Childhood from Tree of Life by Alexandre Desplat
    The latter is fantastic, bringing back the atmosphere from De battre mon coeur.

Titles from Balada Trista de Trompeta by Roque Baños
    Got this score from Jordi and Marcel in Ghent. I love this opening track Titles; so violent and powerful, fitting the main titles on screen. Play it loud! It's and often gruesome film that more and more goes over the top as the story continues, I was rather amazed most of the time by how odd it all was. The love theme is glorious, and the song with the same name as the title that appears a few time during the movie is quite a memorable one.

Santa Fe and Postcards from Italy from Beirut
    Beirut released a new cd this year (The Rip Tide) and Santa Fe was the most popular song. Catchy stuff. Postcards from Italy is my favourite song of them and I revisited it after thir new album. Playing it again ever since.

The Devil is in the Details from Hanna by The Chemical Brothers
    Another favourite comes from an unlikely source; the score for Hanna by the Chemical Brothers. Their super catchy and quirky music box theme got stuck in my head since I first heard it.

Steady the Buffs from The Iron Lady by Thomas Newman
    He had a good year, and one of my favourite tracks was the last on on the Iron Lady score. It starts with typical Newman atmosphere and then suddenly there's this magnificent jig-like fiddle (?) crescendo thing. Bloody fantastic. It ends with a hopeful note. Lovely score!

The Candidate from The Ides of March by Alexandre Desplat
    What a terrific theme this is. This is the end credits from quite a good movie, and here Desplat turns the theme into a funky odd piece. The whole score is one of my favourites of 2011.

Symphony Nr. 3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs), 2nd movement by Gorecki
    I'm sure you all knew this piece long before me and I probably have heard it before unconsciously but it was for Malick to bring in to my attention in Tree of Life. The whole symphony is beautiful but the highlight is the second movement Lento et Largo. Wow! Lots of the music of Tree of Life was to my liking. Thanks for whoever posted that list of music (franz I think?)!

Other favourites: some tracks of Tintin and some tracks of The Skin I live In. I also listened a lot to The Green Mile from Thomas Newman (Coffee on the Mile and The Green Mile is both highlights of his career). Lots of stuff I forget or didn't track too (Youtube, music in the car).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012
    Bregt wrote
    The Devil is in the Details from Hanna by The Chemical Brothers
    Another favourite comes from an unlikely source; the score for Hanna by the Chemical Brothers. Their super catchy and quirky music box theme got stuck in my head since I first heard it.

Have you seen the film by now, Bregt? For me that track really did it for me after I saw it within context. It's like Twisted Nerve from Kill Bill. Quite chilling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012
    Yes, totally worked for me. It certainly made sense as to why it was such hallucinating tune. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012 edited
    BobdH wrote
    UN GIORNO DELLA VITA - Paolo Vivaldi

Bob, can you tell more about this one? By coincidence I stumbled on 'Le biciclette', an absolutely lovely track from that score. I see it's one of your favourite scores of 2011, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Here's the track:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEQVXx1nSO0
    Kazoo
  3. FEDERICO JUSID - HISPANIA

Is this score available on CD? I've tried Amazon and eBay in Spain but no luck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012
    Bregt wrote
    BobdH wrote

Bob, can you tell more about this one? By coincidence I stumbled on 'Le biciclette', an absolutely lovely track from that score. I see it's one of your favourite scores of 2011, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Here's the track:

Sure. It's wonderful, go listen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Bregt wrote
    BobdH wrote

Here's the track:

I like this! lick
  4. I find that this piece is the highlight of the score. The rest is good but doesn't reach the heights of this first track.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh. But everything is as cute as this one? Where did you get it?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012 edited
    I think "charming" is the right word. It's more tragic, but the accordion gives the whole score a folksy vibe. Like Alan said, the first track is the highlight (I got hooked on it almost instantly), but the tender moments of other pieces are certainly above average and tend to get quite passionate.
  5. Bregt wrote
    Oh. But everything is as cute as this one? Where did you get it?

Amazon's mp3 store.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn