• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Black Gold - James Horner

I'll add my name to the growing chorus of praise for this score. I'm surprised at how effortlessly he juggles the epic themes with the more personal, piano-led pieces. Definitely a score I'll be revisiting.
  2. It's already a notch above Avatar for me. And that's only after two listens.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. I haven't connected enough with the clips for either Black Gold or The Hunger Games for me to want to hear the entire albums.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Adventures of Tintin - John Williams

Pretty much the exact opposite of War Horse. I'm really surprised that this is Williams' FIRST animation score. He should do more. The only track that I didn't like was the Bianca Castafiore cue, and I think you all can guess why. Besides that, nice work.

Animation is not a genre. This is an action adventure score and he has done many in his long and distinguished career!

-Erik-

I am glad to see if I'm not the only IFMCA member who has had that thought.

Well, whatever. The point is, I haven't heard him do a score of such whimsy and fun in a long time, if ever.

It's pretty much an extension of his Crystal Skull music... but far better, IMHO.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's already a notch above Avatar for me. And that's only after two listens.

Nah. It's good, but not that good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Nah. It's not good at all!

tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LEGENDS OF THE FALL (James Horner)

THIS is good.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Nah. It's not good at all!

tongue

-Erik-

uhm

How very peculiar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012
    Viva Zapata! - Alex North

What a wonderful album this is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

THIS is good.

What an understatement!

Southall wrote
    Viva Zapata! - Alex North

What a wonderful album this is.

Great score!

-Erik-
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I haven't connected enough with the clips for either Black Gold or The Hunger Games for me to want to hear the entire albums.

This is the first promising thing I've heard about the music for HUNGER GAMES. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Adventures of Tintin - John Williams

Pretty much the exact opposite of War Horse. I'm really surprised that this is Williams' FIRST animation score. He should do more. The only track that I didn't like was the Bianca Castafiore cue, and I think you all can guess why. Besides that, nice work.

Animation is not a genre. This is an action adventure score and he has done many in his long and distinguished career!

-Erik-

I am glad to see if I'm not the only IFMCA member who has had that thought.

punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  5. LSH wrote
    Bregt wrote
    WELCOME HOME ROXY CAR ... CARmichael? Wtf. | thomas newman

I haven't heard many of his early works, but this one is lovely. All elements of his later career are there, but it sounds more basic. Cute main theme, that gets a great rendition at the end in the finale. Some pop elements, the sax (or was it oboe?) is coming along quite often and of course the piano and ambient sound brings the mood back of many of his albums. Good catch!

I'm a big fan of Newman's earlier sound. He definitely pinned down his style early, but like you say, it was a more basic, slightly lighter sound.

Check out Josh And S.A.M., Men Don't Leave and his contribution to Amazing Stories for more.

I can't speak for the other two scores (I'll have to check them out!), but Men Don't Leave has a really stunning moment in it. The rest of the score is okay - a little dated - but that finale is pure T. Newman gold - right up there with the best orchestral beauty he has composed. Checkthis out, any of you who are curious. It's a suite, but the moment I'm talking about starts with a lovely theme on solo piano that starts around 7:12 and then those quintessential Newman strings take over the theme around 8:13 and deliver something utterly gorgeous. If I could find this score commercially available, I would buy it in an instant - just for that 3 minutes of music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thanks Christopher. It's a beautiful sweet and the moment you focused on contains all his trademarks indeed. Wonderful. That flute that appears some bit later. Wow.

I'll have to dig into the early Newman. It seems to be a gold mine too.
    Kazoo
  6. Debbie Wiseman - Warriors

Seemingly for a BBC movie about British soldiers in war-torn Yugoslavia. Haven't seen the film, but the music itself is tonal, melodic and full of a sense of restrained tragedy (while in itself, it's subtly expressive). Strings, ethnic flutes and percussion and, to that, a Balkan choir. The main theme is a piece of simple beauty.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Howard Shore - The Yards

Very nice restrained score. It's great, also a movie I haven't seen.
  8. There's half of the score on the movie. Cues like Sunnyside Yards, Money Train, and other are unused. And some like Willing To Testify are very edited on the film.

I like the cues with excerpts of Holst's The Planets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Thor wrote

THIS is good.

Wrong. This is GREAT!
  9. NP: The Yards - Shore

Inspired on my recent comment, I decided to listen to this one. This is one of my favorite non-LOTR works from Shore. I like how he had his sound developed. The themes are very emotional, I like how he uses the harpischord in some of the cues that includes the main theme. Too bad that in the movie, half of the score is unused.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WHITE FANG - Hans Zimmer

This was a chore. The trumpet theme mentioned elsewhere by members here barely gets a workout but I didn't really care for it anyway ( Morricone-lite ), there were a few bits I liked but these were few and far between and usually buried in a meandering track I cared little for, the whole thing plays like a not very good Vangelis album and very 'bitty' at that. I should probably try and give it a second listen but it's not a prospect that fills me with joy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Early Hans + orchestra + rushed work... That says a lot.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : WHITE FANG - Hans Zimmer

This was a chore. The trumpet theme mentioned elsewhere by members here barely gets a workout but I didn't really care for it anyway ( Morricone-lite ), there were a few bits I liked but these were few and far between and usually buried in a meandering track I cared little for, the whole thing plays like a not very good Vangelis album and very 'bitty' at that. I should probably try and give it a second listen but it's not a prospect that fills me with joy.

Track 8, The Bear Attack ( Hans Zimmer/Shirley Walker ) I thought bore a remarkable similarity to Danny Elfman's March of The Dead from ARMY OF DARKNESS though it pre-dates that film by a year. Shirley's influence I'm guessing?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Possibly.
  12. John Williams - E.T.

The anniversary edition. A classic with chockful of brilliant themes. I am about halfway into the score right now. But as I remembered - brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Williams - E.T.

The anniversary edition. A classic with chockful of brilliant themes. I am about halfway into the score right now. But as I remembered - brilliant.

Do you have the original release too Pawel?

NP : Goldsmith CONDUCTS Goldsmith

Starting with The Blue Max Suite, great album that's been gathering dust on my shelf for too long.
  13. Nope. I have heard it. Again, a colleague put this one on sale, so I jumped on it. And I like complete and chronological in case of important scores and generally tend to prefer original recordings to re-recordings, quite vehemently at that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Howard Shore - The Yards

Great score, the thin red line-influenced, and the movie is strong too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : Goldsmith CONDUCTS Goldsmith

Starting with The Blue Max Suite, great album that's been gathering dust on my shelf for too long.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012 edited
    NP: Speed - Mark Mancina

I think that this is the one time where I feel that an expanded/complete release doesn't present anything new to the original album. In fact, I believe that the original album would have benefited from a shorter running time, as well as editing the shorter tracks into a longer, more flowing musical suite, similar to how Hans was doing it with his scores around the same time. However, I still don't believe that a 4 year old banging on a casio keyboard would have achieve the same result. But then, I'm a realist.
  14. Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Howard Shore - The Yards

Great score, the thin red line-influenced, and the movie is strong too.

I don't think that's THIN RED LINE-influenced. The only bit that sounds much like it is the explicit quote Shore credits to Holst's 'Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age' (which obviously has older lineage).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am