• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2014
    I think of those we know only Jordi went as well, but unfortunately he doesn't post here anymore (and I'm not sure if he qualifies as reasonable as far as Zimmer goes wink ).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2014
    Bregt wrote
    Thanks for the review Bregje! I'm really envious about this whole concert. Several reasons prevented me to go. But I'm glad it was such a great show and that you had time to visit London, a fantastic city. I reckon the event had a lot of similarities with the concert in Gent in 2001. A lot of his collaborators were present too back then.

Hey Bregt, well I enjoyed the concert a lot but it wasn't a once-in-a-life-time must-see thing for me. It was fun! But as you can read in my review it wasn't all perfect. I even thought some moments "give me Dirk Brossé with a full orchestra instead" especially when solo instruments overpowered the choir or the small brass section. Inception for instance was better in Ghent, in my opinion. I guess I prefer orchestra more than band.
    wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2014
    Posted: Oct 28, 2014 - 6:51 PM Report Abuse Reply to Post
    By: Bond1965 (Member)

http://www.watertower-music.com/release … terstellar

INTERSTELLAR SOUNDTRACK WITH MUSIC BY HANS ZIMMER OUT NOV 18

THREE VERSIONS TO BE MADE AVAILABLE INCLUDING A
    STAR WHEEL CONSTELLATION CHART DIGIPAK AND
    AN ILLUMINATED STAR PROJECTION EDITION WITH BONUS DISC

(October 28, 2014 – Los Angeles, CA) WaterTower Music today proudly announces the November 18 release of Interstellar: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, with music by renowned composer Hans Zimmer, whose career has earned him Grammy, Golden Globe, Classical Brit, Academy, Tony, and American Music Awards. The soundtrack will be available in three configurations: a Star Wheel Constellation Chart Digipak, a deluxe digital-only version, and an Illuminated Star Projection Edition with bonus content (coming later this year).

Interstellar, from Paramount Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures, pairs the creative forces of Hans Zimmer and esteemed director Christopher Nolan, who collaborated previously on The Dark Knight film trilogy and Inception. “Chris wanted us to push the limits,” offers Zimmer. “Every conversation was about pushing boundaries and exploring new territories. This movie virtually dictates that you put everything on the line and keep the laboratory doors wide open and experiment to the very end. It tested our limits: the limits of what musicians are capable of, the limits of what could be recorded, the limits of everyone's stamina, commitment and invention, and I think we got it.”

"I believe that Hans’ score for Interstellar has the tightest bond between music and image that we’ve yet achieved,” Nolan reflected. “And we’re excited for people to be able to revisit the soundtrack once they’ve had the chance to experience the music in the film itself."

Each release is now available for pre-order. The Star Wheel Constellation Digipak and the Digital Deluxe Album will be available November 18, and the Illuminated Star Projection Edition is scheduled to ship later this year.

• Star Wheel Constellation Chart Digipak (Pre-Order): contains 16 tracks from the film
    • Digital Deluxe Album (Pre-Order) includes 22 songs from the film
    • The Illuminated Star Projection Edition (Pre-Order) features special illuminated star projection packaging, 2 CDs featuring 28 tracks, including 30 minutes of music unavailable anywhere else, and more.

“INTERSTELLAR” opens with advance screenings in IMAX® 70mm film, 70mm film and 35mm film formats on Wednesday, November 5th, two days ahead of its nationwide release on November 7th. The advance showings will play in select theaters in more than 240 locations across the U.S. and Canada.

“INTERSTELLAR” stars Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Bill Irwin, Ellen Burstyn, John Lithgow and Michael Caine. With our time on Earth coming to an end, a team of explorers undertakes the most important mission in human history; traveling beyond this galaxy to discover whether mankind has a future among the stars. Directed by Christopher Nolan, written by Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan, and produced by Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Lynda Obst
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Interesting that the first and third releases contain tracks but the second contains songs. Who is the singer, I wonder?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm sure there will be those who disdain such marketing ploys as this, but given that it's got a distinct astronomical spin on it, I'll be very tempted to actually buy a physical CD for the first time in years. (Tl;dr version: looks cool, want.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yeah, sounds great, though it doesn't say when it will be released and I won't want to wait (and I ain't buying two versions).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think I'll wait for the extended quantum disc set packed into dark matter with space folding capacities.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. And sugar on top.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Having ordered the sling-shot edition I've been listening to it since 1986
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Is the new Lion King release a mostly complete release?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2014
    The Lion King?

What's happening about any comments regarding INTERSTELLER?

E on purpose Martijn wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    All discussions about The Lion King are banned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    KevinSmith wrote
    Is the new Lion King release a mostly complete release?

Pretty sure it's beyond complete, featuring the entire original score as well as alternate and original album takes. Having listened to every conceivable iteration of the "complete" promo scores, I feel confident saying it is not missing any music whatsoever.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    The Lion King?

What's happening about any comments regarding INTERSTELLER?

E on purpose Martijn wink

The score album is being released 2 weeks after the film, because apparently Hans wants people to see the film before they listen to it. So someone will have to go see the film to let us know what the score is like.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That important eh? rolleyes

I really like what I've heard so far. I'll likely see the film but I'd like to hear the score separated from the film, preferably now rather than later. Sounds like Hans ego is getting the better of him, even as a film score fan I'd want to see this film regardless of whether his name was attached.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2014 edited
    Having seen the movie yesterday night, I can confirm that Interstellar is massive, in every thinkable aspect of the word's sense. Whether you'll like the movie or not will depend on a couple of personal tendencies, but no one can deny that the Nolans produced something really epic here.

The same goes for Zimmer's score. Epic, and completely unlike anything I´ve heard from him so far. I think. Because something was very wrong with the sound system in the theatre...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    That important eh? rolleyes

I really like what I've heard so far. I'll likely see the film but I'd like to hear the score separated from the film, preferably now rather than later. Sounds like Hans ego is getting the better of him, even as a film score fan I'd want to see this film regardless of whether his name was attached.

I'm fairly confident you will like this, Timmer. Inspirations include Philipp Glass' KOYANISQUATSI and Morricone's MISSION TO MARS -- at least that's how I perceive it.

There is one particular moment in the film -- just as McConnaughey is leaving the farm and getting ready to take off that the religious, repeating organ theme rises in intensity that just got to me. I didn't cry, but I swelled up and actually closed my eyes. By far the most powerful moment in the film for me (in terms of film music), but there are plenty others.

Can't wait to hear the album and how it holds up. I'm dreading that it will be too repetitative, but I hope he has suitified it enough to sustain interest.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You'd better prepare yourself then Thor because I've heard it's a 90 minute release.

I've heard two tracks from the score and I really like what I've heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    You'd better prepare yourself then Thor because I've heard it's a 90 minute release.

I've heard two tracks from the score and I really like what I've heard.

Yeah, I know. It will be far too long. But I've also heard that the second disc(?) contains suites of the material. That's the one I'm after.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Scribe wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Is the new Lion King release a mostly complete release?

Pretty sure it's beyond complete, featuring the entire original score as well as alternate and original album takes. Having listened to every conceivable iteration of the "complete" promo scores, I feel confident saying it is not missing any music whatsoever.

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/lion_king.html

Chistian Clemmensen describes in detail what is to find on this and on other releases of the score.
  4. I loved INTERSTELLAR - the film. A few silly things aside (e.g. the ghost), I thought it was a great film, well made. Very emotional and intimate despite it's huge intergalactic setting. I think it plays to a fundamental question we (mankind) have, and that is: what will happen next? Especially, what will happen after we're gone?

The music, I think, is the film's weakest point. For me, it was too loud, too oppressing, too bassy, devoid of genuine subtlety (well, nearly anyway) - which is quite often my reaction to Zimmer's music. My eardrums were vibrating from the bassy tones, even when there was no need for such oppressing sound (we're just getting introduced to the characters and the dust). Plenty of scenes didn't really require music, afaic, yet there it was... And I have missed quite a bit of dialogue because the music was simply too loud in the mix. And also, whilst the organ is a great sound and it really suited this film... by nature it's a sound that resonates and reverberates very strongly; meaning that you end up with a big blur of noise, with no distinctive notes or chords. It proposed some nice musical ideas, but the execution was flawed.

Fantastic films, in spite of some silliness. Disappointing score despite some moments of greatness (it wasn't all bad, by no means).
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014 edited
    Synchrotones wrote
    I think it plays to a fundamental question we (mankind) have, and that is: what will happen next? Especially, what will happen after we're gone?

Given that there is nothing to suggest consciousness is more than the emergent properties of complex matter, and everything to suggest it is, it's not a 'fundamental question' for all. Those who recognise this are generally more interested in questions pertaining to the one life we can be sure of.

It makes for entertaining fiction though (that said, I've not seen Interstellar).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    Given that there is nothing to suggest consciousness is more than the emergent properties of complex matter, and everything to suggest it is, it's not a 'fundamental question' for all. Those who recognise this are generally more interested in questions pertaining to the one life we can be sure of.

Intellectually dishonest statement to a vast degree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In what way? What is there to suggest consciousness is more than the inner workings of a complex brain other than our own intuitions? How is it an 'intellectually dishonest statement to a vast degree' to recognise this fact?

Note that I'm not suggesting we know for sure it isn't more than the emergent properties of states of the brain, we may never know, only that we have nothing to suggest it is, regardless of how strongly you might feel on the subject.
  5. Philosophically it's generally agreed that consciousness does exist. When it comes to neuroscience I see no way to put it to test except actually cutting the parts of brains out and seeing what happens, which used to be done on animals, but NEVER on a live human being. Functional MRI may not really be up to such research, I'm afraid.

Psychology generally agrees that consciousness (and the unconscious, "subconscious" is a psychoanalytical misnomer) does exist, too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. No, Steven, this not just an emotional rebellion against a rational consideraton. There is no satisfying biological or reductionist theory of consciouness. There is no neuriscientific ovjective describtion that would be an aquivalent to what we subjectively experiance as awareness. That does not mean that there is more to the mind than matter. It means that we just don't know. As long as that is the case every approach to the mind-body-problem - reductionism, dualism or a theory of emergence - is as good as the other. All too often dogmatic materialism hides behind the consideration of probabilities.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Precisely, Captain. We just don't know. And yet what we do know (e.g. if you damage a brain it affects cognition) at least implies consciousness is a result of the brain and its complex states of matter (including electrical signals, preempting any semantic pedantry). What is so controversial about admitting this? No where have I said that materialism is the only possible description for consciousness, merely that what we do know pushes an immaterial description into an ever smaller realm of possibility. Immaterial consciousness of the gaps if you will.

So contrary to your assertion that I'm guilty of ignoring probabilities, I'm doing precisely the opposite. My mind is perfectly open to the possibility that consciousness will never be fully explained by materialism. But, to paraphrase the famous quote, it's not so open that it falls out.

No amount of philosophical gymnastics will put an immaterial description of consciousness on a level playing field with the descriptions of it that we currently have (until, of course, evidence is found to the contrary - which I will happily accept). It's all just conjecture and, largely, wishful thinking. A phrase like 'dogmatic materialism' is often used in the hope to silence what simply doesn't feel nice to hear (much like 'islamaphobia'), where people seem to be uncomfortable with the idea that consciousness is nothing more than states of a naturally evolved complex brain. This is why people like myself, who point out the rather obvious, encounter this sort of pushback.
  7. Maybe because the "states of the complex brain" implies something not easily agreeable with for most of people, including a vast majority of scientists... that we are NOT coherent beings.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2014
    I'm not sure what you mean there Pawell, but it sounds dangerously close to a 'deepity'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2014
    Steven wrote
    In what way? What is there to suggest consciousness is more than the inner workings of a complex brain other than our own intuitions? How is it an 'intellectually dishonest statement to a vast degree' to recognise this fact?

Note that I'm not suggesting we know for sure it isn't more than the emergent properties of states of the brain, we may never know, only that we have nothing to suggest it is, regardless of how strongly you might feel on the subject.

The many testimonies of NDE survivors suggest exactly what you are saying there is "nothing" to suggest. Some of these were people whose brains were completely incapable of experiencing anything whatsoever at the time, let alone create complex dreams that outdo not only normal sleeping dreams, but the highest of human art in their beauty and loveliness. Many of these people discover information they could not have acquired through their then-crippled brain, such as details of the doctors who were performing surgery on them. And there is a similar vast body of evidence on the topics of reincarnation (children knowing things they could not have possibly learned unless they did in fact have memories of a previous life), and other paranormal phenomena which I will not presume to frustrate your logicity with.

Yes, I know these personal testimonies are not admissible as scientific evidence (the scientific method by its very nature makes it completely impossible to study certain things, leaving it in a way quite flawed, giving it a giant "blind spot" if you will, but that's another discussion). Yes, I know there are counterarguments for almost every single claim of the paranormal. But I see the statement that there is "nothing" to suggest that consciousness lives outside the brain as not only intellectually dishonest, but rather disrespectful to the many thousands of experiencers of NDEs. These aren't people who read something crazy in a book and decided to believe it, or who were brainwashed in childhood to believe it. These are people who experienced something. They were there. And if they are telling the truth, their experiences make it impossible for consciousness to be merely a product of the brain.

I don't expect you to believe one or all of many NDE testimonies, but I really don't like when the experiences of thousands of people are called "nothing". Sorry if I was or am being rude though. I don't mean to but I'm kind of Aspergers-ish and bad at arguing.