• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not long back from seeing Interstellar and what an average film that was.

Average? Not the word I'd have used. Thor: The Dark World is an average film. It doesn't aim too high and subsequently hits its target - it's entertaining and fun and completely forgettable once you're done with it. Same with, say, Hercules with Dwayne Johnson (watched that recently and while I'm glad I didn't shell out to see it in cinemas, it's surprisingly decent - but, again, not too memorable).

Interstellar is an extremely ambitious film with a lot of flaws, but I found it a much more worthwhile experience. Certainly I've found it hard to forget.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    News to me! Had I realised I was in a fight, I might have used more colourful language.

I was being facetious smile Although I'm so emotionally sensitive that I start feeling guilty whenever I say anything the slightest bit confrontational. shame
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2014
    Again, I agree with Edmund. A film that aims that high, with those visuals, regardless of where it fails, is not an "average film". No average film could cause this much hullabaloo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote
    News to me! Had I realised I was in a fight, I might have used more colourful language.

I was being facetious smile Although I'm so emotionally sensitive that I start feeling guilty whenever I say anything the slightest bit confrontational. shame

Fuck off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    That's an interesting thought about data. We copy files every day, yet we generally don't think of an MP3 as being intrinsically unique when we transfer it from each of our devices. Could the same be said of consciousness were we able to copy, 'teleport', every detail to the quantum level of the brain and body? In fact, is this really much different to experiencing the flow of time? We are not the same person we were even a few moments ago, and our atoms literally get replaced as the years go on. None of this proves the argument one way or another, I just thought it was a very interesting thought! smile (Whether it came from my brain or ectoplasm.)

This is very close to what I believe about consciousness but you are not actually making a solid statement per se, so I can't say whether I agree with it. Great thought nonetheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote

Fuck off.

Damn it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2014
    Martijn wrote
    Matt, I'm having some trouble translating your analogy. You introduce a source (CD player), a product (music), a modifier (amplifier) and a result (end user experience).
    How do these translate, in your example, to brain and consciousness?

Source = Whole person consisting of both physical and metaphysical components.
    Product = Events happening on both a physical and a metaphysical level.
    Modifier = Brain
    Result = What humans are aware of experiencing on a physical level.

Granted, the analogy could use some work, I just came up with it on the spot after reading the thread. I can try to clarify further in the unlikely event that it doesn't come across as total jibberish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Regardless of where experiences comes from, at least we can all agree that experience itself is, or at least can be, incredible. Especially with the help of drugs. (As Hans Zimmer may or may not say.)
  2. Steven wrote
    Again, I agree with Edmund. A film that aims that high, with those visuals, regardless of where it fails, is not an "average film". No average film could cause this much hullabaloo.

You all must be more easily pleased than I am.

I did find the sequence where [spoiler]Mann tried to get back to the Endeavor and the subsequent repercussions and subsequent drama [/spoiler]to be quite effective and I was interested to see what happened. And I did like the "timey-wimey" but at the end - but that's a general thing and has nothing to do with anything special in Interstellar.

But the aims of the film weren't that well explored and I wasn't that wowed by the visuals much.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Thor wrote
    I'm curious about THE IMITATION GAME, especially because it's the Hollywood debut of Norwegian director Morten Tyldum. I didn't care much for Desplat's score, though (no surprise there), so I'm hoping the film is better than its music.

The film is a lot better than the music. I'm not much for analysing how well or badly a film is directed, just whether i liked the film or not. And I did like this one - and that's mainly down to Benedict Cumberbatch's fantastic performance.

I didn't find the music particularly memorable in the film, save for a couple of moments. So, if you're in the camp who believe that a score shouldn't draw attention to itself then Desplat's score was perfect.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote

It's not that, I can assure you. I'm as picky as they come. But Edmund's example of 'average' is spot on. Average is something that's forgettable, sufficient, gets the job done but doesn't go much beyond. Interstellar, for all its faults (and I could list a few) is not an average film by that standard.
  4. Any standard? My comments must be a good example of average: easily forgotten. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sorry, do I know you?
  5. Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote

It's not that, I can assure you. I'm as picky as they come. But Edmund's example of 'average' is spot on. Average is something that's forgettable, sufficient, gets the job done but doesn't go much beyond. Interstellar, for all its faults (and I could list a few) is not an average film by that standard.

I could nitpick Interstellar to death and back and still not care because it has that scene with the video messages. I mean dear God. cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I could nitpick Interstellar to death and back and still not care because it has that scene with the video messages. I mean dear God. cry

smile
    And on the awe spectrum...the wave. Dear God, at that too.
  6. My two cents (and two thousand words, give or take) on Interstellar.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  7. Great review, Pete smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2014 edited
    Let's all rank our favourite Top 10 Zimmers and see if INTERSTELLAR has any room on the list!

Here is mine:

1. BEYOND RANGOON
    2. THE ROCK
    3. CRIMSON TIDE
    4. THE THIN RED LINE
    5. THE DA VINCI CODE
    6. GLADIATOR
    7. INCEPTION
    8. K2
    9. THE LION KING
    10. THELMA & LOUISE

...and moving on to find INTERSTELLAR:

11. BACKDRAFT
    12. DAYS OF THUNDER
    13. INTERSTELLAR

There it is! I was amazed by myself it actually beat out brilliant scores like REGARDING HENRY, GREEN CARD, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN X 4, DRIVING MISS DAISY, BLACK RAIN, RAIN MAN, THE HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Copied and pasted as per Thor's request:

I really don't see what makes Inception so appealing to people who usually don't like Zimmer. I don't. It's got a few good cues, a lot of dull ones, and "Mombasa". Sure, it's been influential, and it has a certain unique atmosphere to it, but other than that I think it's pretty average. Looking at my Zimmer list now it's at #41 (out of 86 Zimmer scores that I own - some of which are more Zimmer than others, admittedly tongue ). For Interstellar it's been tricky to determine a ranking because of the muddled album situation, but it would probably fall in around #20.

If we're doing a top 10, then for me that's

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
    2. King Arthur (guilty pleasure numero uno)
    3. The Prince of Egypt
    4. Gladiator
    5. The Rock (if you can count that as a Zimmer score)
    6. Angels and Demons
    7. The Last Samurai
    8. Beyond Rangoon
    9. A League of Their Own
    10. Backdraft
    11. (because The Rock didn't count) Radio Flyer

Resolutely Nolan and Malick-free.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2014
    Here's my top ten Zimmer scores:

1. Inception
  9. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    sleep

No, it's actually:

sleep > kill sleep > cocktail sleep > freezing kill sleep > suicide < cheesy .... uhm
  10. O, Martijn's gonna love this.

1. Rain Man
    2. A World Apart
    3. Inception
    4. Green Card
    5. Thelma and Louise
    6. The Lion King
    7. The Thin Red Line
    8. Interstellar
    9. Driving Miss Daisy
    10. Gladiator

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIer2G9We_A
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorLars
    mine are

1. Days Of Thunder
    2. The Peacemaker
    3. The Rock
    4. The Prince Of Egypt
    5. The Lion King
    6. King Arthur
    7. Backdraft
    8. Black Hawk Down
    9. The Ring
    10. Green Card
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Here's my top ten Zimmer scores:

1. Inception

GOOD MAN!!!! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mine...

1. INCEPTION
    2. THIN RED LINE
    3. INTERSTELLAR
    4. BACKDRAFT
    5. BEYOND RANGOON
    6. THE DA VINCI CODE
    7. HANNIBAL
    8. BLACK HAWK DOWN
    9. ANGELS AND DEMONS
    10. SPIDERMAN 2
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. My top list of Hans Zimmer titles this week would probably look something like this:

1. The Ring
    2. Backdraft
    3. Inception
    4. Interstellar
    5. Regarding Henry
    6. The Lion King
    7. Frost/Nixon

With a whole bunch of others following on.
  12. Lars wrote
    mine are

1. Days Of Thunder
    2. The Peacemaker
    3. The Rock
    4. The Prince Of Egypt
    5. The Lion King
    6. King Arthur
    7. Backdraft
    8. Black Hawk Down
    9. The Ring
    10. Green Card

fireworks fireworks FIRST LIST BESIDES MINE WITHOUT INCEPTION!! fireworks fireworks
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    While INCEPTION and a few other 2000s scores DO feature on my list, you deserve kudos for including so many things from "my" period (the 90s). Not bad for a youngster!
    I am extremely serious.