• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2014 edited
    NP : THE David Whitaker SONGBOOK

A real mish-mash compilation of Whitaker's work from his Pop beginings like The Last Time under the name THE ANDREW OLDHAM ORCHESTRA, a now infamous piece due to it's sampling by pop band THE VERVE to later fair like his contributions to French group AIR, it also contains 4 tracks from his beautiful score to Run Wild, Run Free, a boy and his horse movie starring Mark Lester and John Mills.

My favourite track is Pavane, the liner notes give no indication of where this comes from but it's a stunningly beautiful piece that I can only think was written as a homage to French composer Gabriel Faure, it really is that good.

David Whitaker's superb talents are seriously lacking in the world of soundtrack CD releases with Doctor Jeckyll and Sister Hyde being nearly released several times, the above mentioned Run Wild, Run Free which was only ever released on LP and a tiny smattering of his work for HAMMER on various compilation CD's, The Sword and The Sorceror and Harry, He is Here are, I think, the only two soundtrack releases of Whitaker's work released.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Red Krokodil - Alexander Cimini

I was quite surprised by this one. Turned out to be quite an emotional score - in large part to the use of violin and cello solos. There are some ambient/soundscape passages but they're not too intrusive.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: The Unknown Known - Danny Elfman

I really like what Elfman's done on this score, though I'm not sure how well it fits with the subject matter of this documentary. The score veers almost into Elfman's fantasy scoring, which seems at odds with 9/11 and the "War On Terror".

For those in the UK, I think that the film is on Sky Atlantic next week.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2014
    Maleficent- James Newton Howard

Still not able to really connect with this. I'd rather listen to the same composer's King Kong as far as 70 minute albums go.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TESS - Philippe Sarde

A brilliant and beautiful score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Brian Tyler - Godsend

First time I'm listening to it and it's actually better than I thought, there is some exquisite woodwind and piano writing here, while the rest is a bit of a generic thriller fare, but still, there is a bit of creativity to it that wouldn't be expected from this genre.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. NP: The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep (2007) - James Newton Howard

This is very, very nice. Thanks, Erik, for the rcommendation!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : EVENT HORIZON - Michael Kamen & Orbital

Probably not to everyone's taste but I like it a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I LOVE it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep (2007) - James Newton Howard

This is very, very nice. Thanks, Erik, for the rcommendation!

Volker

My pleasure! The gigantic action cue at the end of the album (stupidly spanning 5-6 tracks dizzy ) is some of the best material JNH has composed in the past 8-10 years!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'Swimming' is one of Howard's finest cues. 5 star track.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith

Proper intelligent choral writing. Proper AWESOME score. FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Proper taste in film scores you have Tim! beer
  5. Steven wrote
    'Swimming' is one of Howard's finest cues. 5 star track.

yeah

Any cue of JNH's (or any other composer, see Avatar's "The Bioluminescence of the Night") that reminds me of Atlantis: The Lost Empire is a winner in my books. love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2014
    Atham wrote
    Proper taste in film scores you have Tim! beer

cool beer
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Luther - Richard Harvey

I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy this. Very dramatic and some excellent choral passages.

This post reminded me that I once wanted to obtain that score but found that it was out of print and on offer for lunatic prices. I now found a used copy in mint condition on offer for less than 10€ and I thought that was all right. It's a great score. Recommended for all who love "that religious sound" wink . Whoever likes Kilar's "König der letzten Tage" might also want to take a listen.
    It's a worthwhile film by the way, with a great German-British cast.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SPY WHO LOVED ME - Marvin Hamlisch

I really hope that one day we'll get the original film tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2014 edited
    A little Scott of the Antarctic by Ralph Vaughan Williams blasting through my Paradigm's never hurt anyone early in the morning. Coastal Command and The People's Land came along to play as well.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    A little Scott of the Antarctic by Ralph Vaughan Williams blasting through my Paradigm's never hurt anyone early in the morning.

I can think of one or two people I know personally who would beg to differ. wink

A brilliant score and an appalling omission by the Academy to nominate for an Oscar. Though considering Vaughan Williams refused a Knighthood I can't imagine a lack of Oscar nomination troubling him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2014
    Night Crossing - Goldsmith

There's so much to love in this score. Especially the Capricorn One-ish main theme.
    Also love the family (freedom) theme. Oh and ...........I could go on and on.
    This latest Intrada release sounds wonderful too! cool
  7. NP: COSMOS: A SpaceTime Odyssey (2014) Alan Silvestri Vo. 1-4

There is great stuff scattered throughout these volumes. I wish they had done a 1 or 2 disc well edited physical release and offered the rest for download. I am of course glad the music was released at all.

Volker
  8. Timmer wrote
    For me this is one of those great scores since.

NP : ZERO DARK THIRTY - Alexandre Desplat

I like moody, I love moody!

After listening to it numerous times, I think it's Desplat's best score yet.
  9. Timmer wrote
    NP : SKYFALL - Thomas Newman

I still dislike the generic action music but I'm glad I gave this a long break because I'm appreciating this score a lot more now.

A shame this track wasn't included on the official release, the lovely, sensual kind of track you used to get with early Barry JB scores.

Yes, I knew you'd come around.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote
    For me this is one of those great scores since.

NP : ZERO DARK THIRTY - Alexandre Desplat

I like moody, I love moody!

After listening to it numerous times, I think it's Desplat's best score yet.

"best" is subjective but I'm glad I'm not alone.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SKYFALL - Thomas Newman

I still dislike the generic action music but I'm glad I gave this a long break because I'm appreciating this score a lot more now.

A shame this track wasn't included on the official release, the lovely, sensual kind of track you used to get with early Barry JB scores.

Yes, I knew you'd come around.

I knew I had to give myself a long break from it.

I would still rather see someone else score the next Bond film though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2014
    The Matrix Don Davis

I've listened to this more times than would be deemed healthy, recently. One of those films who's scores couldn't have been done any other way. It's just brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Matrix Don Davis

I've listened to this more times than would be deemed healthy

Not at all! If, on the other hand you'd said, say, Man of Steel............
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Why isn't Davis scoring films sad

Seriously, what is the story? Apart from the obvious 'he's not a Zimmer clone'
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Maybe he's unwilling to go down the Doyle or JNH route and give a clone score..... I don't know!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014 edited
    Every time I scream that question to the heavens all I hear back are crickets!
    So, yeah, surely somebody must know why Davis isn't working in film now days? sad