• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    It's impossible.

-Erik-

Of course it is. dizzy spin rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2014
    NP: THE UNTOUCHABLES (Ennio Morricone)

Don't like the suspense stuff, but the melodic material is great, as always.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The more and more I find out about Morricone (not a huge expert, to say the least, sadly), the more I realize how I like his avant-garde sensibilities, I think it's a quite special twist on atonality. It's very challenging, but at the end, I find it sometimes much more rewarding than his even most exquisite themes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lincoln John Williams

When I first heard this, I was immediately put off by 'yet another Americana-laden' score from John Williams. But I have since come to love this score, Americana and all. It's really quite powerful in the film. That'll teach me to doubt our Lord and Saviour.

...although I still find The Book Thief a tad boring, save for the end credits suite.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I should give Lincoln another try.

The film is one of the most tediously boring I've ever seen. Full of over-bloated worthiness.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2014 edited
    I can understand that. I must admit it took me a long time to build up the courage to watch it. But I must have been in a very good mood, because I rather enjoyed it (even if it was too bloody long). The acting alone is what makes it worth it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

The film is one of the most tediously boring I've ever seen. Full of over-bloated worthiness.

I don't share that sentiment at all. I usually dislike dialogue-heavy films, but there was so many stylistic, audiovisual things to enjoy here that it weighs up for that. But it did take me a couple of viewings to come to that evaluation.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Warren Beaty's 1981 pion to worthiness REDS also had a great cast including Jack Nicholson. Until Lincoln came along I never thought I'd see a film as boring as that ever again. How wrong I was.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Warren Beaty's 1981 pion to worthiness REDS also had a great cast including Jack Nicholson. Until Lincoln came along I never thought I'd see a film as boring as that ever again. How wrong I was.

I agree with you on REDS, though. What a borefest! Even my favourite actor Nicholson can't save that. But Warren Beatty is no Steven Spielberg. Not that much to latch on there in terms of style. It's all about the political content.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

I don't share that sentiment at all. I usually dislike dialogue-heavy films, but there was so many stylistic, audiovisual things to enjoy here that it weighs up for that. But it did take me a couple of viewings to come to that evaluation.

You watched it TWICE?????
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

I've seen it four times.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Once was enough for me. It's a handsomely made film, but dull.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

Thor wrote
    I've seen it four times.

You have an appetite for torture, obviously. I think a third viewing would have the inmates of Guantanamo Bay singing like canaries.
  3. NP: Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone cool

This, along with Cinema Paradiso and The Legend of 1900, is what started my love of Maestro Morricone's works. It's still one of the most enjoyable album for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Regarding Desplat / Williams:

What i said wasn't to be taken as such and it's my fault i didn't make it clear enough; i meant it clearly in musical terms, not comparative. As a man who knows how to handle modern orchestra for modern film scores nowadays, the way Williams did in the previous decades. As a man who's one of the last few paper and pencil type of composers from scratch, from note one. A composer who's numero uno when it comes to modern orchestral approach, someone who understands arrangements and proper instrumentation, knows how to write purely for orchestra and makes those scores come alive. In a generation when most other composers simply translate piano-written scores to orchestra, or synths and samples to orchestra. So, you know, calm yo tits tongue wink kiss
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE WICKER TREE - John Scott

I've heard that this sequel is awful. ( anyone seen it? )

The music however is excellent, pure class!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LE MAGASIN DES SUICIDES (Etienne Perucchon)

Old-style, Kurt Weill-like animated musical from France. Some resemblances to Elfman's NMBC. It's very "French", though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    So, you know, calm yo tits tongue wink kiss

Bewbs!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games Christopher Gordon

It was this that turned me into a Gordon fan. Love at first listen. It's short, at just under 25 minutes, but it's magnificent. Just...magnificent. It soars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Interesting Steven! I'll look into it!
    Game of Thrones - Season 4~ Ramin Djawadi
    The themes are there but I'm not yet sure of their development. It's the second time I listened to it but it's while studying so it's not in detail. I'll reserve my opinion for later.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. I thought Season 4 was by far the least interesting of that show's music so far (although I'm not a big fan of it in the first place). Usually there's two or three highlight cues per season, but I struggle to find even that here. "The Children" maybe, but that one's pretty similar to other cues from the previous scores like "Mhysa".
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - Alan Silvestri

This is just brilliant, even more so than I remembered. Certainly as note-heavy as any score he's written in the many 'busier' cues. But it's all so inventive and colourfully orchestrated. Definitely one of the best things he's ever done.
  5. "Red Eye" (Beltrami)
    Picking good parts for suite purposes.

I saw the film years ago on TV and had remembered liking the score, so a couple or so years ago I traded for the complete (well, probably complete) score.

So far I'm only five cues in and I've only liked one cue. Sometimes a score isn't what you remembered. I'll see what happenes here...

EDIT:
    I'm skimming threw portions of cues. I was wrong -- this is not what I thought I remembered from the film. The film was good, the score, not so much. What a hodge-podge of missed oppritunities and suspense cliches, mixed with this modern synth and light percussion meandering underline in some parts.

In the two part climax cues at the end, some effort was finally put in and there were some spurts of meaty material with some originallity.

It was a good suspenseful film and it deserved a better score. I'm sure there was a theme in there somewhere, but it was as quickly forgotten as it played out. And it was only there for certain passages, otherwise the score went into cliche strings, thumps and bangs, brass crescendos, and "Boo!" moments; it was so vague and nondescript you could expect the bulk of this to come from just about any composer.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Deep in the Darkness (Matthew Llewellyn), is pretty good, and purely orchestral. Could be a bit more dynamic and theme-driven, but as far as horror scores go this year, it's a notable entry. Highlights include the opening "deep in darkness", "rise of the isolates", "eyes in the distance","we're not going back", "crawling for Jessica", and the oustanding "back into the light". I hear Spanish scoring elements in here (as in the way Spanish composers have been socing such movies for the past 5 years) and also Interesting to note as well, the Giacchino's LOST elements (the clusters, and the same sound as when 'the smoke' appeared, as well as some same-y patterns in the action writing (listen to "we're not going back" and "crawling for Jessica"for instance).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Godzilla

Kick-ass! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Monuments men

Classy, elegant, smooth listen. Loving it, still can't stand Grand Budapest HOtel though, at all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Monuments men

Classy, elegant, smooth listen. Loving it, still can't stand Grand Budapest HOtel though, at all.

Totally agree on Monuments Men.
  6. Ended up making a very decent nearly 8:00 suite for "Red Eye". A lot of creative editing and some layering, and re-ordering was needed, but it worked like a charm.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ANIMA MUNDI - Philip Glass

cool
  7. Today's playlist is music by Patrick Doyle:

Gosford Park
    Great Expectations -> now playing
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire -> will play next