• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I like Djawadi's Medal of Honor score and Heroes Aboard is a definite highlight of his career.

At last! beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I always liked it and thought that of all the post-Black-Hawk-Down scores this is the best iteration of that sound aside from the original.

And really, it made me realize, as much as I'm not a huge fan of his, that he does have a voice, but it's mostly through sometimes rather subtle harmony. One of the biggest advantages, to me, of Pacific Rim is that it harmonically went beyond the typical RCP simplicity, there are some ideas there that show that Djawadi actually has formal musical training, as he does (as I was told, he was "taken directly" from USC to Media Ventures by Klaus Badelt).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The voice he gained, he developed it post MOH, imo. 2010 onwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    RAMIN DJAWADI - pacific rim

Has some very nice highlights in it (such as "i'll take it from here", "pacific rim", "double event", and the amazing "go big or go extinct" as well as an infectious leitmotif. I think they first time Djawadi's marriage of electric guitars with orchestra worked as good as this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Very entertaining score, one of my favourite albums from last year. The film is pants and people who like it are idiots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Haven't seen it yet smile The score is a bit too long though.
  2. Pacific Rim is the score Djawadi should have written for the first Iron Man. Maybe not quite that "cheesy", but with that crucial element of style and swagger.

The movie is stupid but fun, and I don't think people should be ostracized for enjoying it. It's no Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jeff Russo - Fargo

Boy this is good, who is this guy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The movie is stupid but fun, and I don't think people should be ostracized for enjoying it.[/b]

They should be sent to camps and be made to wear armbands.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    shocked
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Demetris wrote
    Jeff Russo - Fargo

Btw, Michael, you were right about this one. Also, if you haven't already, and since you are a fan of Burwell's sound, you should listen to this year's FREDDY SHEINFELD's seal of confession, eager for your thoughts smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Jeff Russo - Fargo

Btw, Michael, you were right about this one. Also, if you haven't already, and since you are a fan of Burwell's sound, you should listen to this year's FREDDY SHEINFELD's seal of confession, eager for your thoughts smile

That's the first time I've been called Michael in a while. Thanks for the recommendation for the other one.

I think Russo is from a rock music background so I'm surprised by the orchestral elegance on display.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2014 edited
    shame wasn't Michael who recommended it? damn, i always think Michael whenever someone recommends Burwell's music wink

Thanks a lot James for the heads up! Indeed, a surprising score for sure coming from this composer, totally unknown to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Schindler's List God

Incredible. Never fails to rip my heart out my chest. (And benefits from a film order playlist.)
  3. Steven wrote
    Schindler's List God

Incredible. Never fails to rip my heart out my chest. (And benefits from a film order playlist.)

Do you have the 4CD-R set?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No. I'm quite happy to go without countless alternate takes of the main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Steven wrote
    Schindler's List God

Do you have the 4CD-R set?

There is NO NEED to own that.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    4cd? God that is an overkill or what?

n.p. PETER BATEMAN - Atlantis

http://moviescoremedia.com/atlantis-the … r-bateman/

One of the best scores of the year so far. Awesome, kick ass punk
  4. NP: How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - John Powell

It arrived from Britain today. In Germany, for whatever reason, the CD will be released only in four weeks. From what I hear so far I seem to like this one even more than the first one. There are more quiter moments and I like that. I feels more marture than the first one. Great!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I felt the opposite -- too few quiet moments and too "full-on". So I think I prefer the first over this. That being said, there are some smokin' tracks here.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Parts of "Toothless Lost", "Losing Mom/Meet the Good Alpha", "Stoick Saves Hiccup" and "Stoick's Ship" are the standout quiet moments in this score. I think Powell has judged the pace excellently, with both this score and the last.
  6. It's a bit eclectic in playces. "Toothless Lost" feels a bit like Shore, "Loosing Mom / Meet the Good Alpha" feels a bit like Rozsa and "Where No One Goes" feels a bit like Enya. But does not lessen the fun.

Volker
  7. Captain Future wrote
    It's a bit eclectic in playces. "Toothless Lost" feels a bit like Shore, "Loosing Mom / Meet the Good Alpha" feels a bit like Rozsa and "Where No One Goes" feels a bit like Enya. But does not lessen the fun.

Can't blame Powell for the song really. What about "Toothless Lost" recalls Shore for you? And agree with you about the Rozsa; actually, my first thought when I heard that cue (from about 1:50) was Conan the Barbarian, but Rozsa is the next step backwards in film score history from that. smile

It's all Powell through and through though, really.
  8. NP: Die Biene Maja / Maja the Bee ( 1976) - Karel Svoboda
    on Hi-Hat Records.

The score from the German- Japanese animation show. It holds cult status over here. Wonderful relaxed easy listening music, playful and melodic.

Volker
  9. Demetris wrote
    shame wasn't Michael who recommended it? damn, i always think Michael whenever someone recommends Burwell's music wink

wave
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2014
    The Life Before Her Eyes - James Horner

The lovely, understated theme in 'Becoming Close Friends' and 'The Gift of a Necklace' aside, this might be the dullest score of Horner's career. The lengthy final cue is a keeper though.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The American President - Marc Shaiman

Hard to deny the lush, soaring, sentimental power of that main theme, as manipulative as it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Lion King - Legacy Collection - Hans Zimmer

A revelatory experience. It's amazing what a good mix does to a score. There are so much details that were lost with the original release, that this version is THE DEFINITIVE VERSION for this Oscar winning score. Stampede is a mind-blowing cue. I never realized the amount of orchestral forces the score has.

I love this. It's been a long time coming, and it was worth the wait.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    lp wrote
    NP: The Lion King - Legacy Collection - Hans Zimmer

A revelatory experience. It's amazing what a good mix does to a score. There are so much details that were lost with the original release, that this version is THE DEFINITIVE VERSION for this Oscar winning score. Stampede is a mind-blowing cue. I never realized the amount of orchestral forces the score has.

I love this. It's been a long time coming, and it was worth the wait.

The score demos are very detailed and, if anything, really demonstrated the quality of the samples Hans Zimmer was using at the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    The American President - Marc Shaiman

Hard to deny the lush, soaring, sentimental power of that main theme, as manipulative as it is.

I adore this score!