• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014
    Demetris wrote
    Only those who saw the film can tell i guess smile

The word you're looking for is braved.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Christine - John Carpenter

Going through a Carpenter playlist. There are few composers and their compositions that take me back to a place in time than Carpenter's scores from this era. His distinctive choice of synths and his use of rhythms (and stingers) just shifts me right back to the late 70s and early 80s.

It may be a "you had to be there" to really get Carpenter's music, but I am glad I had been there

I was there and It used to "depress" me knowing that a Carpenter film meant a Carpenter score, I wanted someone "proper" to score his films. I do know what you mean about being taken back to a place in time, I get nostalgia listening to his themes, and I do like a lot of them, Escape From New York/LA being my very favourite.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Christine - John Carpenter

Going through a Carpenter playlist. There are few composers and their compositions that take me back to a place in time than Carpenter's scores from this era.

I was there

As was I, and I am totally inspired to start my own Carpenter playlist now.
    I have always enjoyed his work (with the weird exception of the Halloween theme, which really gets on my nerves).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. NP: Gremlins (1984) - Jerry Goldsimth

The C&C edition. I have no problem with the synths whatsoever, as usual.
    Artwork gave me the idea.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. I much prefer Carpenter's earlier works. Prince of Darkness and Village of the Damned are okay (though I am not sure how the division of composing works with his co-composers), but I don't like things like Vampires, They Live, Big Trouble In Little China and even Escape From L.A. (I much prefer the more gritty Escape From New York).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eh? Escape From L.A. is excellent! ( As is New York )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    Eh? Escape From L.A. is excellent! ( As is New York )

I don't like what was done with this score to 'modernise' it. Maybe it's the change of location to Los Angeles and/or the remake being the mid-90s, but I much prefer the whole feel of the original.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    L.A. is a very poor film compared to New York. Has Carpenter made any good films over the last 20+ years?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    A very bleary hungover me got my sorry-arse out of the tent and up to the outer reaches of the festival to go see THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO at 1.00pm on Sunday and I'm so glad I made the effort, this was excellent stuff from a 14 piece outfit ( included musicians from Portishead and Goldfrapp plus the Ondes Martinot was the actual one Barry Gray used ), man this put a smile on my face. The selections, often in the form of mini-suites were from Thunderbirds, Stingray, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90 and UFO, it was great to hear plenty of incidental music included besides the fabulous themes plus some of those memorable secondary themes like March of The Oysters and Hijacked. love

Thunderbirds at Glasto 2014 ( if I'd stood a little more to my right I'd have been directly in-shot in this vid )

It was good to see a decent sized and appreciative crowd for this.

The BBC didn't bother to cover this. numpties! rolleyes slant

From the Festivals thread.
  4. NP: How to Train Your Dragon (John Powell)

First listen actually. (First complete listen that is.) I should try this sometime when I'm driving to another city and can really let the music loose. Maybe I'll get into it more. I figure it must intertwine with the film so beautifully that it's made the impression that it has on so many. (Fair enough -- a lot of the scores I like are because of that.) It reminds me a bit of Pirates of the Caribbean with slightly richer orchestrations. Sorry to not think it the bee's knees, for those who love it. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    Pirates of the Caribbean with slightly richer orchestrations.

Slightly???
  6. I was think more of At World's End, the only Pirates score I've listened to in the last few years. The bouncy celtic thing is not a million miles from the upside-down jaunt on that score.

NP: War of the Worlds (John Williams)

The epitome of slightly richer orchestrations. Great stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2014
    Fantastic score, fantastic film.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. franz_conrad wrote
    I was think more of At World's End, the only Pirates score I've listened to in the last few years. The bouncy celtic thing is not a million miles from the upside-down jaunt on that score.

That's true, of course. At World's End in general is one of Zimmer's best-orchestrated (and best thematic, and just plain overall best) scores.
  8. Thor wrote

Yeah, I do wish the film was stronger on the closing stretch. Endings are so important. The set-up is so good, but by the arrival in untouched Baltimore, its fizzled to a halt. It works a lot better on the page, perhaps because the son isn't magically restored and the leads of another version of the film don't sneak in for a smiley cameo.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Abominable - Lalo Schifrin

This is extraordinary - a dense, complex, action-dominated horror score that becomes deeper the longer it goes. A tour de force really and probably one of the finest scores of its kind, I think. Lalo really pulled out all the stops for his son's film. On a par with The Amityville Horror, though it's a very different beast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

Yeah, I do wish the film was stronger on the closing stretch. Endings are so important. The set-up is so good, but by the arrival in untouched Baltimore, its fizzled to a halt. It works a lot better on the page, perhaps because the son isn't magically restored and the leads of another version of the film don't sneak in for a smiley cameo.

Filmed worked great, tone atmosphere, build-up, all the way up to the utterly ridiculous ending. For me, it was downhill from there onward for Spielbergh. But the score is fantastic.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. Oh well, there was MUNICH after that, and that one's superb. But then came INDIANA JONES IV: THE SEARCH FOR ALAN DAVIAU'S BLUESCREEN TECHNIQUE. Sigh.

NP: Mists of Avalon (Lee Holdridge)

Of the Celtic-infused epic romance scores, surely this one was the peak of its time. (I know it's up against such august titles as Lord of the Rings, Braveheart, Far and Away, but I can't say I quite get the rush from those I get from this when I return.)
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Had to abandon two scores that irritated the hell out of me: Silvestri's The Mexican (lame pastiche even when it rises above tedium) and Tyler's Bangkok Dangerous (a truly appallingly generic score bloated with boring electronics and the same rhythmic beat from about 20 of his other scores).

Now, to wipe the slate clean, onto something soothing, melodic and soul-stirring, Trevor Jones's Loch Ness, a wonderful score. The main theme is unforgettable and some of the variations are utterly sublime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Oh well, there was MUNICH after that, and that one's superb. But then came INDIANA JONES IV: THE SEARCH FOR ALAN DAVIAU'S BLUESCREEN TECHNIQUE. Sigh.

Indeed. Although Tintin is worth an honourable mention, having always seen it as the film Indy IV should have been, score and all. (The Indy March would not be out of place in that score.)
  10. What I've seen of TINTIN is great. I forgot that one. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2014 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    What I've seen of TINTIN is great. I forgot that one. smile

Enjoyable but ultimately forgettable. Unlike Spielbergh's older classics.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LE TRAIN - Philippe Sarde

love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeeeeeup!!! Feeling in the mood for good music....

NP : THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BACKDRAFT (Hans Zimmer)

Smooth listening before I'm off to the park.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: BACKDRAFT (Hans Zimmer)

Smooth listening before I'm off to the park.

Smooth listening? A favourite Hans score of mine but I wouldn't call it smooth listening.
  11. NP Anthony & Cleopatra (1972) - John Scott

This is indeed a great album. I has something distincly Golden Age like about it.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROBOCOP - Basil Poledouris

Basil! love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ZERO DARK THIRTY - Alexandre Desplat

Excellent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SABRINA (John Williams)

Breezy.
    I am extremely serious.