• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2014
    I should be a record producer!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    you'd make a good one!
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Steve Jablonsky

Gonna ramble a bit.
    I want to like this more than I do. It sounds a bit lackluster. Much of the musical ideas from the EP got lost in this 77 minute album. The cool thematic material for Lockdown didn't get expanded at all and sounded more "reduced" than necessary. The few moments that we hear the new Transformers theme, I was really digging it and missed it when it wasn't there. Quite a shame. And the whole album sounds more like a a compilation of trailer ideas, and does include stylistic ideas/moment/sounds from Daft Punk and Two Steps from Hell, which is disappointing since those were riffed from Hans Zimmer anyway (natch!). In short, the last Transformers I really like was Dark of the Moon, and this score fails to beat Revenge of the Fallen. For a new Trilogy score, this album can't beat the first movie score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Isabel (Federico Jusid)

The best distillation I've heard of this is what Erik put together for his 'best of the year' presentation a while back. Nonetheless it's a lovely, articulate work.

It's gorgeous.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2014 edited
    lp wrote
    NP: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Steve Jablonsky

Gonna ramble a bit.
    I want to like this more than I do. It sounds a bit lackluster. Much of the musical ideas from the EP got lost in this 77 minute album. The cool thematic material for Lockdown didn't get expanded at all and sounded more "reduced" than necessary. The few moments that we hear the new Transformers theme, I was really digging it and missed it when it wasn't there. Quite a shame. And the whole album sounds more like a a compilation of trailer ideas, and does include stylistic ideas/moment/sounds from Daft Punk and Two Steps from Hell, which is disappointing since those were riffed from Hans Zimmer anyway (natch!). In short, the last Transformers I really like was Dark of the Moon, and this score fails to beat Revenge of the Fallen. For a new Trilogy score, this album can't beat the first movie score.

Not really, it's all there (the ideas from the ep) and quite developed too. The opening "decision" is a stunner and the solemn vocal theme in "best thing ever happened" is quite nice to hear back from the ep too; I think the more towned-down and pop / sentimental approach of the whole is a winner for me (same as Djawadi's game of thrones season 4), Also liked the Tron (although not original anymore, yeah...) elements in the action cues ("ι'am an autobot"). Sound and production is better too, in comparison with the cheap-sounding previous Transformers installment.
  1. NP: Game of Thrones Season 1 (2011) - Ramin Djawadi

90% of the score listening community seems to have come to the conclusion that the music is the one great letdown of this series. Well, this then is the minority report. I think the music is great.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I like the music, but more on the 4th season when it's matured.

n.p. WILLIAM ROSS - in my dreams

Promptly titled (Zzz)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a disappointment in that the series deserves much better music, even if Djawadi has written a few decent pieces for the series. I think in more capable hands, ala Giacchino or McCreary, we'd have something far more precious on our hands.

Even the main theme, as catchy as it is, could have been better. But when you hear something so many times, it's hard to detach it from the images.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    McCreary? to get one of the ol'same again?
  2. I would rather think of Trevor Morris than of McCreary, as much as I love his "Battlestar" scores. But as I said: I am fine with what Djawadi did, especially with seasons 3 and 4.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

Alas, D speaks truth.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    I would rather think of Trevor Morris than of McCreary, as much as I love his "Battlestar" scores. But as I said: I am fine with what Djawadi did, especially with seasons 3 and 4.

Morris is pretty typecast too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Even the main theme, as catchy as it is, could have been better.

Yes, back in the days when Jerry Goldsmith, Lalo Schifrin, Barry Gray, Edwin Astley, Billy Goldenberg, Laurie Johnson, Ron Grainer etc etc wrote TV themes YES! It could have been better. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote

Have you heard his Walking Dead music? It's really quite something, and best heard in the show itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes, back in the days when Jerry Goldsmith, Lalo Schifrin, Barry Gray, Edwin Astley, Billy Goldenberg, Laurie Johnson, Ron Grainer etc etc wrote TV themes YES! It could have been better. wink

I suppose I shouldn't complain too much, it's rare to even get a proper full-length theme for TV shows these days. Although certain TV shows do indeed benefit from short intros.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I suppose I shouldn't complain too much, it's rare to even get a proper full-length theme for TV shows these days. Although certain TV shows do indeed benefit from short intros.

OMG! Spot on!!! lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What are your favourite TV themes of the last decade and a bit? ( open to all )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think it's Rolfe Kent's DEXTER that stands out most for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dexter is brilliant. So fucking catchy.

I think when you like a show and watch it regularly, it's very hard not to come to appreciate the main theme (unless it's Battlestar... I HATE that opening title "music"). Breaking Bad is a good example, as it's certainly not something I'd listen to twice were it not tied to the show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    One of the most offensive TV scores I've heard recently is Hannibal. If you think McCreary likes to bang his percussion, you ain't heard nuffin'!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yikes! Not seen it yet but am intending to.

Another favourite theme is all the different versions used for each season of THE WIRE of Tom Waits brilliant Way Down In The Hole, but that is cheating a bit as the track was written in the 80's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote

Ol'same again? uhm Because Battlestar sounds like The Walking Dead, which sounds just like Human Target which sounds just like Da Vinci's Demons, which sounds just like Black Sails, right?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. NP: Helen of Troy (2007) - Joel Goldsmith

This is a great score, moody, melodic, "ancient". And it sounds great dispite it all being synthesized.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Dexter, Six Feet Under, The West Wing, The Newsroom and The Sopranos (I know the last one is a song so we're not really allowed to talk about it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fargo - Jeff Russo

I really like this. (I only didn't include it in the list above because it's basically Burwell's theme, altered a bit, but I guess it still counts!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Off the top of my head... Game of Thrones, Dexter, House of Cards, Sunday Night Football, The Walking Dead, Human Target, Great Performances, The Cape...

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

Just for some balance I'll nominate Michael Price & David Arnold's SHERLOCK theme for a UK entry cool
  4. Elliot Goldenthal - Michael Collins

I forgot how good this one is.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Elliot Goldenthal - Michael Collins

I forgot how good this one is.

Shame on you, its bloody excellent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Big Bad Wolves - Frank Ilfman

Pretty good.