• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2014
    NP: DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (Michael Giacchino)

My first listen. I dislike what I'm hearing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

I've listened to it a few times. I don't dislike it, but I haven't moved on from my original view that it's essentially just a continuation of Lost. And it's far too bloody long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Giacchino and myself are biologically adverse when it comes to music, but I'll give it a few more spins before I give up.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

I've listened to it a few times. I don't dislike it, but I haven't moved on from my original view that it's essentially just a continuation of Lost. And it's far too bloody long.

Bingo! However, I dislike it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor and Erik dislike it!? Is the sun about to explode?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thor wrote

I imagine this is your idea of hell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Planet of the Apes - Jerry Goldsmith

I rarely listen to this, despite its brilliance. So daring, so clever.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2014
    Southall wrote

I used to listen to it a lot....long time ago now though.

It is one of those scores that helped me to get into atonal scoring.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

To those people who have said that Giacchino's Apes score sounds like Lost because Lost sounds like Goldsmith's Apes score... seriously, Lost does not sound like Goldsmith's Apes score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ditto!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    You're all wrong due to your lack of sufficient daily prostration at the divine altar of Man of Steel. cheesy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Demetris wrote
    I like the music, but more on the 4th season when it's matured.

n.p. WILLIAM ROSS - in my dreams

Promptly titled (Zzz)

I reviewed this one and found it pretty typical Ross

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/07/04/in-my-dreamsross/

Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

To those people who have said that Giacchino's Apes score sounds like Lost because Lost sounds like Goldsmith's Apes score... seriously, Lost does not sound like Goldsmith's Apes score.

The Goldsmith score is unique
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Colette - Atli Orvarsson

Very dour. Has a restrained elegance to it but gets bogged down in repetition somewhat. And the two main themes are far from memorable.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Trevor Jones

That opening cue with the magnificent main theme is something else. The three main action cues are first-rate too, though the last one, 'Storming the Fortress', is easily the pick of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Indeed.

There is, in fact, only one cue I can remember from LOST where Giacchino specifically references the stylings of Goldsmith's APES. Beyond that, it's very different.

Anyways, I like Giacchino's LOST music in context, but dislike it on album -- and I have a feeling I'll have a similar (simian?) experience with DAWN.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    I would rather think of Trevor Morris than of McCreary, as much as I love his "Battlestar" scores. But as I said: I am fine with what Djawadi did, especially with seasons 3 and 4.

Morris? Yeah, 'cause his double chance for an epic score, Vikings I and II was sooo good rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote

That opening cue with the magnificent main theme is something else. The three main action cues are first-rate too, though the last one, 'Storming the Fortress', is easily the pick of them.

Love it. Love most of Jones' scores; why don't we hear more of him ? smile Btw where is he, has he retired? or has the system 'retired' him for good like other such composers lately?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

Bingo! However, I dislike it!

-Erik-

It's not a continuation of LOST, at all. It's Giacchino's sound but this time: bored. Lost had all the great elements in his writing and he had a lot of appetite doing that show, clearly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Big Bad Wolves - Frank Ilfman

Pretty good.

For killing yourself wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    McCreary? to get one of the ol'same again?

Ol'same again? uhm Because Battlestar sounds like The Walking Dead, which sounds just like Human Target which sounds just like Da Vinci's Demons, which sounds just like Black Sails, right?

-Erik-

Well, basically, yeah?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Really Demetris? uhm

I think they are all quite different. Of course there's his style that comes through often but I wouldn't say they all sound the same.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    When it comes to action cues, or tense pieces, he always uses the same bag of tricks. Black Sails is the only bold and different score i've heard from him in a while, despite still bearing the .. Bear mark all over it. Don't get me wrong. I like his music, a lot.

But it's like Brian Tyler, for instance. I mean when somebody wishes for different type of scoring, i wouldn't think of recommending McCreary or Tyler or anyone who has a constant, not so multi-dimensional style of writing 'cause more or less, you know what you're going to get.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LUIS BACALOV - Hidden Moon

Gorgeous. My thoughts here http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … v/#Item_14
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote

Love it. Love most of Jones' scores; why don't we hear more of him ? smile Btw where is he, has he retired? or has the system 'retired' him for good like other such composers lately?

He is one of the better surviving talents and I too would like to know what's happening?

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has a great theme!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

The Goldsmith score is unique
    Tom smile

For film? Yes! Not to anyone familiar with Bela Bartok.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

Ol'same again? uhm Because Battlestar sounds like The Walking Dead, which sounds just like Human Target which sounds just like Da Vinci's Demons, which sounds just like Black Sails, right?

-Erik-

Well, basically, yeah?

This clearly shows me that you have never listened to McCreary's music at all.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PAUL (David Arnold)

Pretty nifty album that combines score with songs pretty well throughout. Old-style rock'n'roll and Arnold sci fi-isms unite!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Empire of the Sun (1987) - John Williams
    Expanded edtition on La-La-Land

There have been times when I would jump blindly at every new John-Williams-Release. These days are gone. I passed up on 1941 and The Witches of Eastwick being content with the albums I have. I had never given Empire of the Sun much attention, but I listened to it a few month ago and did so again now. I discovered how beautiful, rich and underrated this score indeed is. So after being hesistant initially I reconsidered and ordered this new C&C LLL edition.
    It runs 76:03 minutes as opposed to the 54:34 minutes long original release. I have not finished listening. Based on what I have heard by now there there wasn't too much crucial music missing from the Warner release. The score is presented on the first CD. The second CD features source music and alternate versions of cues.
    This isn't the easiest Williams score to listen to, the casulal listener, I guess, is well served with the original album. There is, however, enough interesting material on this new album to make me happy. At any rate the original album will remain in my possession.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

Well, basically, yeah?

This clearly shows me that you have never listened to McCreary's music at all.

-Erik-

Bollocks Herr Doctor wink