• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    NP : BELLE ET SEBASTIEN - Armand Amar

This is really lovely.

That theme song will be very familiar to people of a certain age. The French TV series was a staple diet of School Holidays TV in the late 60's-early 70's and the theme song is exceptionally memorable.

Belle and Sebastian

I only vaguely remember the TV show itself but the theme is definitely one of those list (although short) of foreign-language programmes that populated school holidays and Saturday mornings.

Amar's score is good and I also like the two versions of the original song. Here's a link to the live version of the song for the film, sung by ZAZ:

http://youtu.be/_BNMCR-K4I8
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2014
    NP: AGE OF CONAN: RISE OF THE DRAGONSLAYER (Knut Avenstroup Haugen)

In some ways superior to HYBERIAN ADVENTURES. Less bombast, more lovely exotic textures.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: STAR TREK V - The Final Frontier (1989) - Jerry Goldsmith
    Original album edit / LLL disc 2

I payed 50 Euro for this CD when it went out of print only do discover the Intrada reissue a few month later. angry ... spin

When I was a child science fiction and the NASA space travel and exploration programs all merged into one great promise of adventure and discovery. I expected to live in a world where brave men and beautfuly women would roam the solar system. The music from STAR TREK was very much the soundtrack of that dream.

I never thought of ST V as a landmark of the series, I never thought it was that bad either. Goldsmith's score is brilliant but even so it can become a bit tiresome in it's C&C format. Therefore I like to turn to the album edit.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I never thought of ST V as a landmark of the series, I never thought it was that bad either. Goldsmith's score is brilliant but even so it can become a bit tiresome in it's C&C format. Therefore I like to turn to the album edit.

Volker

Good man! wink
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I actually bought the original album (the Sony one), like 7 years ago in Paris. I never got across to try the complete presentation.

I also stuck with the original album of The Edge. I know the mastering issues and so on, but I have a deeply personal connection to the RCA album, as it was the first Jerry Goldsmith CD I ever bought.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ...if anyone can point out a track that's good then let me know and I'll give it a listen, I've had enough and turned that shit off!

NP : THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN - James Horner

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Much better! cool

The more i listen to this, the less i like the initially-liked (does that make sense?) amazing spiderman 2 by the Z camp.

Yes, you totally make sense. I really liked, and still like Hans Zimmer & Co's Spiderman 2 but after a few listens it loses its lustre. Horner's score keeps on giving......does that make sense? wink

Absolutely. It has that grand theme, the arrangements, everything that makes a very good and timeless score is there.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MY SWEET ORANGE TREE - Armand Amar

Is it about a tree perchance, that's sweet, and made of orange?

Really nice! Some parts remind me a bit of Michael Nyman.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2014
    Transformers 4 - Jablonsky

This really isn't that bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Might not be that bad but it's still bad.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Burnt toast dribbled with five week old chip oil is lovely if you haven't eaten for a week.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. NP: Night Crossing (1982) - Jerry Goldsmith

This is coming across nicely tonight.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Night Crossing (1982) - Jerry Goldsmith

This is coming across nicely tonight.

By balloon?

A very good score it is too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

When was this released?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Transformers 4 - Jablonsky

This really isn't that bad.

Liked it smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

When was this released?

I don't know D but I listened to it on Spotify.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That spotify thing...is it worth it? it just came to Cyprus a year ago but didn't try it yet..it's only streaming though? no, well, legal or illegal ways to download the streams? no?
  5. There are some of the latter, but I don't know how.

It's streaming, if you pay the monthly subscription, you get it in the best MP3 quality available, 320 kbp/s and without ads.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2014
    I think it is worth it D. There are tons of scores that you might otherwise not listen to, so there's plenty to discover.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE SALAMANDER (Jerry Goldsmith)

Classic JG, even though the film may be pants (I don't know). Lots of jagged, odd meters.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Are you listening to the Leigh Phillips SALAMANDER ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

When was this released?

I've had it since April 2013 so it has been out a while (as a digital download, and paired with Amazônia Eterna).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE SAND PEBBLES (Jerry Goldsmith)

Hadn't played this in ages. It's the RSNO recording, and I'm still troubled by the distant recording (the low is really low, the high is really high) which plagued many of their recordings at the time. But the music is fascinating.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE SAND PEBBLES (Jerry Goldsmith)

Hadn't played this in ages. It's the RSNO recording, and I'm still troubled by the distant recording (the low is really low, the high is really high) which plagued many of their recordings at the time. But the music is fascinating.

As I don't have the CD to hand can anyone confirm that THIS piece is not on the RSNO recording? I love this piece and I vaguely remember being very disappointed that it's not on that recording.

In fact, listening to it again I'm convinced this is from the original release despite the YT up-loader showing a picture of the RSNO recording cover.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, the overture is on the rerecording. But yeah -- that Youtube clip seems to be from the original.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Yes, the overture is on the rerecording.

No it isn't! At least, not the one I linked in my post above. Apart from the opening fanfare there is no similarity between these Overtures at all.

( just found the RSNO on Spotify and checked it out smile )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Yes, the overture is on the rerecording.

No it isn't! At least, not the one I linked in my post above. Apart from the opening fanfare there is no similarity between these Overtures at all.

( just found the RSNO on Spotify and checked it out smile )

confused

It's certainly on my CD, although it might not be the same version as in that clip.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    As I don't have the CD to hand can anyone confirm that THIS piece is not on the RSNO recording? I love this piece and I vaguely remember being very disappointed that it's not on that recording.

No, it's not on the RSNO recording - that's the "Overture (Original Version)" on the Intrada CD which uses what's referred to on the album as the "Chinese Love Theme" rather than the more familiar "And We Were Lovers" theme which is what Goldsmith preferred and put on the RSNO album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thank you James beer

Thor wrote
    It's certainly on my CD, although it might not be the same version as in that clip.

It is not! Give both versions a listen Thor and you'll hear for yourself. Different pieces of music. Simple as that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    OK, then. I wasn't aware there were two different overtures.
    I am extremely serious.