• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2014
    Dawn of the - Michael Giacchino

It's grown on me.
  1. Southall wrote
    Dawn of the - Michael Giacchino

It's grown on me.

On you? There's probably an ointment for that.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MY SWEET ORANGE TREE - Armand Amar

Is it about a tree perchance, that's sweet, and made of orange?

Really nice! Some parts remind me a bit of Michael Nyman.

When was this released?

I've had it since April 2013 so it has been out a while (as a digital download, and paired with Amazônia Eterna).

Thank you Alan!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. STEPHEN ENDELMAN - Rob the Mob

Synthy as f*ck. No re-listens for me here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Godzilla Alexandre Desplat

Find me a better score from this year, I dare you.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

"better" is very subjective. I've enjoyed HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 and A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST more but GODZILLA is a damn fine score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No! Next.

Although How To Train Your Dragon Part Duex is a very close second, IMO™
  2. Alien - Jerry Goldsmith
    Aliens - James Horner
    Alien³ - Elliot Goldenthal

Just been listening to playlists from each of these. Although there's not too much continuity between the scores each one is a superb piece of work. Together, they have to be one of the top music trilogies out there.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - James Horner

The great evening's listening continues with this classic score. I can't believe that it's over 30 years since this first appeared. I remember listening to my new LP on the home "music centre", marvelling at "Surprise Attack".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

"better" is very subjective. I've enjoyed HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 and A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST more but GODZILLA is a damn fine score.

Indeed, tough to beat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - James Horner

The great evening's listening continues with this classic score. I can't believe that it's over 30 years since this first appeared. I remember listening to my new LP on the home "music centre", marvelling at "Surprise Attack".

Indeed. I recall the same thing. Love 1982 for amazing scores!
  4. @ ST II: I remember being devastated when I heard that Goldsmith wouldn´t return for Khan. I hadn´t heard anything from Horner before that and just had no idea what to expect. He blew me away, of course, even IF his theme (especially when used as a nice little tune, like at the end of the main title) immediately reminded me of the legendary Heidi anime series. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    My oh my! That is too close for comfort! That's the first time I've heard that Heidi theme.
    Anyway, ST 2 still rocks!
  5. Atham wrote
    My oh my! That is too close for comfort! That's the first time I've heard that Heidi theme.
    Anyway, ST 2 still rocks!

It is a bit close isn't it! I turned it off as soon as I heard the slightest hint of Star Trek II so as not to "taint" my experience too much!

wink
  6. Never heard that. The German intro song is completely different.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I could argue strongly that there has so far never been a year as good as 1982 for film scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Captain Future wrote
    Never heard that. The German intro song is completely different.

Volker

Of course, I didn´t mean THE Heidi theme, but THAT Heidi theme (The Mountains) from the series. That theme appears from time to time in the series when there are especially beautiful sceneric scenes, and as a stand-in for "the mountains" in general (for example when she sees the painting of "her" mountains stored away on the attic of Clara´s home in Frankfurt - that´s an incredible tear jerker BTW).

Although, if you listen to the intro of THE Heidi theme, you can hear the similarity even there. It is there for the first few notes, then differs. It´s the score itself, within the episodes, that´s so similar. And it IS the original music, I swear.
  8. "Berge und Täler" ?

http://www.amazon.de/Generation-Fernseh … l_1#disc_1
  9. Not sure what you´re asking. "Berge und Täler" from your link obviously uses the same theme in the beginning as the intro part of my link (first minute or so). That theme (from my track) was used very often during the series, the second theme following it was used at a few opportunities only (like the attic scene I mentioned).

I´m astounded that it´s not on that score you linked. Strange.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LIFE OF PI - Mychael Danna

cool
  10. NP: Music from Pixar films: Monster, inc / Wall.E / Finding Nemo / Cars

http://www.amazon.de/Disney-Pixar-Class … sney+Pixar

I founds this box in a shop for 20 €. Since I had none of the scores before, I considered it well worth it. I could do without the "Toy Story Music Mania" CD, which is a "Music from and inpired by" pop compilation. The other four scores seem nice enough.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I could argue strongly that there has so far never been a year as good as 1982 for film scores.

I'm too lazy to try and remember them all, so which scores from 1982 make this case? Et is certainly the one that immediately springs to mind.
  11. The joys of a database!...

Looking down the list I have for 1982 scores such as Blade Runner, Conan The Barbarian, The Dark Crystal, ET, First Blood, Poltergeist, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and The Thing stand out. Oh, and Halloween III: Season of the Witch. wink
  12. Steven wrote
    No! Next.

Although How To Train Your Dragon Part Duex is a very close second, IMO™

If by "close second" you mean "miles beyond", then yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miles beyond? I can only hope you're being as facetious as I was!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'm too lazy to try and remember them all, so which scores from 1982 make this case? Et is certainly the one that immediately springs to mind.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    The joys of a database!...

Looking down the list I have for 1982 scores such as Blade Runner, Conan The Barbarian, The Dark Crystal, ET, First Blood, Poltergeist, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and The Thing stand out. Oh, and Halloween III: Season of the Witch. wink

Two more from Jerry Goldsmith are Inchon ( funded by the mad Moonies ) and The Secret of NIMH, from John Williams there is the criminally underrated Monsignor, Giorgio Moroder's Cat People ( great song and great score ), Lee Holdrige's excellent The Beastmaster, a rare foray into film scoring by the brilliant David Whitaker with The Sword and The Sorcerer, John Barry's Frances and brilliant noir score to Hammett ( though the score wasn't released until the late 90's ), Ennio Morricone's exquisite Butterfly, Michael Nyman's The Draughtsman's Contract and the ground breaking Philip Glass score Koyanisqaatsi.
  13. Steven wrote

Nope, sorry. Multithematic, multifaceted Powell score beats mono-mood Desplat score (no matter how well conceived that mood is).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I refuse to name my favourite, but it is certainly Malificent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote

Nope, sorry. Multithematic, multifaceted Powell score beats mono-mood Desplat score (no matter how well conceived that mood is).

Mono-mood? It's grand, leitmotific and thematic, what's mono-mood about it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote

dizzy

Fair enough...