• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2014
    sdtom wrote
    is this thing really that bad? I got a download but haven't had time to listen to it yet. I'm talking about the Ape soundtrack. smile
    Tom

*phew!* I thought you meant Transformatrons for a moment? I'm sure without ever having heard it that Giacchino's score is better than Jablonsky's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A new series of recordings being put out by the Royal Philharmonic is the movie legends and the one I'm spinning is John Barry. while this is a typical compilation CD I'm enjoying it.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. sdtom wrote
    is this thing really that bad? I got a download but haven't had time to listen to it yet. I'm talking about the Ape soundtrack. smile
    Tom

No, Transformers: Age of Extinction isn't as bad a listen as is made out. It's just not what most people think of as "good" film music.

But, hell, it's all just opinions. And just like loud film music, they can become a bit tiresome.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    ...if anyone can point out a track that's good then let me know and I'll give it a listen, I've had enough and turned that shit off!

NP : THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN - James Horner

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Much better! cool

I had forgotten just how darned enjoyable this score is. shame

Anyway, more Horner...

NP : AVATAR - James Horner

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    No, Transformers: Age of Extinction isn't as bad a listen as is made out. It's just not what most people think of as "good" film music.

It isn't good music full stop! ( In-My-Never-Humble-Opinion )
  2. Like I said, it's all very tiresome.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A BEAUTIFUL MIND - James Horner

One of the 00's best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2014 edited
    NP: TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION (Steve Jablonsky)

Spotify to the rescue! It's almost as good on album as I remembered it from the film. Love the power anthem, love the ethereal voices, love the techno beats, love the Rabin-esque, lofty guitars that he used so eloquently in PAIN & GAIN, love the TRON: LEGACY references. OK, some of the ostinato/horn of doom action tracks aren't that interesting after a few tracks, but that doesn't detract that much from the overall impression.

LONG LIVE THE JABLONSKY! DOWN WITH MAINTITLES NAYSAYERS!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION (Steve Jablonsky)

Spotify to the rescue! It's almost as good on album as I remembered it from the film. Love the power anthem, love the ethereal voices, love the techno beats, love the Rabin-esque, lofty guitars that he used so eloquently in PAIN & GAIN, love the TRON: LEGACY references. OK, some of the ostinato/horn of doom action tracks aren't that interesting after a few tracks, but that doesn't detract that much from the overall impression.

LONG LIVE THE JABLONSKY! DOWN WITH MAINTITLES NAYSAYERS!

*sigh*
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2014 edited
    It's the truth, baby!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

But, hell, it's all just opinions. And just like loud film music, they can become a bit tiresome.

I will at some point give a listen to it but not today.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE ROBE (Alfred Newman)

On Spotify. Yeah, it's every bit as good as you guys made it out to be.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE ROBE (Alfred Newman)

On Spotify. Yeah, it's every bit as good as you guys made it out to be.

That's m' boy! cool beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

I will at some point give a listen to it but not today.
    Tom smile

Steady now Tom. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : AGNES OF GOD - Georges Delerue

A truly awesome film score, just wonderful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE ISLAND (Steve Jablonsky)

All this Jablonsky talk has made me want to revisit this one -- a favourite.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Yes, I like that one too. As I like the first Transformers and Ender's Game.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. NP: The Best of Ennio Morricone - 1984

http://www.discogs.com/Ennio-Morricone- … ase/440257

There are tons of EM compilations. This one goes back into the time of vinyl and is something of a classic. It is very good.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Yes, I like that one too. As I like the first Transformers and Ender's Game.

ENDER'S GAME was too much of a 'template' for my taste, even though there's nothing wrong with the music per se -- pretty much a straight extension of the BOURNE - BATMAN - INCEPTION stylings with little new to show for it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Mists of Avalon - Lee Holdridge

I could live without the celtic stuff but otherwise this is very good. Handsome music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2014
    My first listen to Snowpiercer. As I'm listening so far I'm not impressed at all. Maybe it will get better.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2014 edited
    NP: Belle et Sébastien - Armand Amar

It's difficult to know how I missed this beautiful score from last year. Beautiful and dramatic and Daniel White's theme from the original TV version of the story is featured both in the score itself and in 2 versions of the title song.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    ...if anyone can point out a track that's good then let me know and I'll give it a listen, I've had enough and turned that shit off!

The more i listen to this, the less i like the initially-liked (does that make sense?) amazing spiderman 2 by the Z camp.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Belle et Sébastien - Armand Amar

It's difficult to know how I missed this beautiful score from last year. Beautiful and dramatic and Daniel White's theme from the original TV version of the story is featured both in the score itself and in 2 versions of the title song.

Armand's really unique. Thanks for the heads up Alan, i don't think i've heard it either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE ISLAND (Steve Jablonsky)

All this Jablonsky talk has made me want to revisit this one -- a favourite.

This is his best score to date, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

I don't think it's that bad at all. I quite enjoy it (not to the level of Thor's enjoyoment however, but still), i found a lot to be pleased with inside that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

By great Ammutseba, devourer of stars, ...

Are you the gatekeeper?

NP: Maleficent (2014) - James Newton Howard

Scores like these made me a film music connoiseur.

Volker

Very, very good return by JNH in 2014 with this one!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

The more i listen to this, the less i like the initially-liked (does that make sense?) amazing spiderman 2 by the Z camp.

Yes, you totally make sense. I really liked, and still like Hans Zimmer & Co's Spiderman 2 but after a few listens it loses its lustre. Horner's score keeps on giving......does that make sense? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2014 edited
    NP : BELLE ET SEBASTIEN - Armand Amar

This is really lovely.

That theme song will be very familiar to people of a certain age. The French TV series was a staple diet of School Holidays TV in the late 60's-early 70's and the theme song is exceptionally memorable.

Belle and Sebastian
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm going to listen to the Apes today and let you know what I think.
    Tom smile