• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2014
    Demetris wrote
    Mono-mood? It's grand, leitmotific and thematic, what's mono-mood about it?

It's grand/leitmotific/thematic for its entire runtime with no breaks. That's the very definition of mono-mood. But I don't see how that's a bad thing.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's not a colourful score, that much I will grant. Though that's hardly a criticism given that it's about a giant fucking lizard dinosaur wreaking havoc on a city. Desplat's music reflects that perfectly. It's certainly 2014's most badass score. That is a scientific fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Desplat's GODZILLA -- worked fine in the film, but for me it's practically unlistenable on album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Empire of the Sun - John Williams

Now here's a score that really comes alive in expanded form. Brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2014
    My new John Barry CD of his music with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Every now and then I switch on the "TV themes" playlist and let it play...Thunderbirds, Smiley's People, The Saint, The Protectors, Doctor Who, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Ironside, Sherlock, The Sweeney, Man Alive...nice!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    Miles beyond? I can only hope you're being as facetious as I was!

Nope, sorry. Multithematic, multifaceted Powell score beats mono-mood Desplat score (no matter how well conceived that mood is).

Mono-mood? It's grand, leitmotific and thematic, what's mono-mood about it?

Because, essentially, everything in that score is about fear, fear, terror, fear, suspense, fear, terror and more fear. As Steven says, it's not particularly colorful. And while it's a thrilling score certainly (and I realize the film didn't have much room for other emotions), it's just not quite varied enough to stand among the year's best film score albums. So while Powell's score doesn't have anything quite as vicious as "Muto Attack", Desplat's score equally doesn't have anything as fun as "Dragon Racing", as moving as "Losing Mom" or "Stoick's Ship" or as soaringly addictive as "Flying With Mother".

Also, Powell can kick Desplat's ass any day of the week when it comes to writing for percussion. The latter's taiko rhythms get pretty stale about 2/3 of the way through Godzilla.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HIGH ROAD TO CHINA - John Barry

Lovely score. I appreciate it more with age, this used to be one of the least played JB scores in my collection.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Beneath the Planet of the Apes - Leonard Rosenman

This is rather challenging.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Viva Zapata! - Alex North

Sensationally good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Two Sandwiches - Alberto Iglesias

A touch of class, this, but it goes on a bit too long.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Beneath the Planet of the Apes - Leonard Rosenman

This is rather challenging.

Love his complex, dazzling action music for the Apes; in a class of its own. Probably my favourite score of his.

Just finished John Debney's JOBS which has a brilliant main theme amidst a lot of surprisingly interesting single cues that effectively mix organic and synthetic elements. There's a hint of Thomas Newman in a few, and in one particular case, Philip Glass, but for the most part this is really excellent.

Now onto another recent Debney release of an older score:

Komodo

This isn't exactly as complex as Rosenman. Starts out atmospherically but fairly uninterestingly. Then all of a sudden, about 4 cues in, a gorgeous theme is revealed and gets puts through its paces.
  3. David OC wrote
    Just finished John Debney's JOBS which has a brilliant main theme amidst a lot of surprisingly interesting single cues that effectively mix organic and synthetic elements. There's a hint of Thomas Newman in a few, and in one particular case, Philip Glass, but for the most part this is really excellent.

Anyone who's passing familiar with a certain James Horner-penned Civil War score will know why I find the cue "Golden Parachute" from this score so hilarious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dawn French of The Planet of the Apes Michael Giacchino

A decent 30 minute long album could probably be made from what is a pretty boring album. Disappointing to say the least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...Yawn of the Planet of the Apes?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Dawn French of The Planet of the Apes

That title confuses me too. Why Dawn? Why not Abigail or Jennifer or Ingrid???......
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Who's "Jennifer French"?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Earth to Echo - Joseph Trapanese

I like it - not as much as his collaborative efforts on Tron or Oblivion, but I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Dawn French of The Planet of the Apes

That title confuses me too. Why Dawn? Why not Abigail or Jennifer or Ingrid???......

Or Martijn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Who's "Jennifer French"?

This is what I thought too. biggrin
  5. Greetings everyone from Munich! I'll stay at my sister's place for the next week or so. This afternoon I listened to The Pillars of the Earth by Trevor Morris. I really am a fan of Morris'. He badly needs to get big screen asignments.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lost in Space - Bruce Broughton

Has this always been this good? Why haven't I listened to it for so long?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014
    It has indeed. I've been singing its praises since before time began (which is to say since ScoreReviews). Don Davis's orchestratios are typically excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  6. DON DAVIS MAN!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Captain Future wrote
    Greetings everyone from Munich! I'll stay at my sister's place for the next week or so. This afternoon I listened to The Pillars of the Earth by Trevor Morris. I really am a fan of Morris'. He badly needs to get big screen asignments.

Volker

Hello Volker! I couldn't agree more with you! The Pillars of the Earth, The Tudors, Vikings, The Borgias and so on! He is more than brilliant!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Vikings is some of the worst tv music i've heard in years, especially season 2. The others are interesting, but i'd not call him brilliant in any case, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    That's the fun part of all this we are doing here! Having different opinions! wink kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's Stavi's way of saying "fuck you, Demetris".