• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    Fuck you, asshole!

But...but ... I love you! And every living being in the whole wide world!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2014
    Look at it this way, in a hundred years who's gonna care?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2014
    *I* will!

(what are we talking about?)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2014
    Aliens!

Oh wait, wrong one.

...Terminators!
  1. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Game of Thrones - Season 4 (2014) - Ramin Djawadi

The fourth CD, the third label, the third spine design. Somehow such things bother me. CDs for me are an equivalent of books and I like CDs that form a series, to look alike. It even bothered me when Sony changed its CD design and the spine of SW Episode III looked different than those of Episode I and II. Or the "Harry Potter" CDs that are from a multitude of labels.

People still buy CDs?

wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: IN TIME (Craig Armstrong)

This is brilliant....my favourite Armstrong of the ones I've heard so far. Both the electro stuff and the orchestral material.

Υ...υ.you're not serious, right? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. I can see how that score would appeal to Thor. I like it too, but a lot of it strikes me as a lite version of the far superior Incredible Hulk. But that's a two-hour album, so Thor should probably stay away. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

This is brilliant....my favourite Armstrong of the ones I've heard so far. Both the electro stuff and the orchestral material.

Yup. Love it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: NOT FORGOTTEN (Jürgen Beck)

Lovely, melancholic score. Classy through and through. Not sure what SCHINDLER'S LIST has to do with autism in Ukraine, but some of the tracks have that vibe.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

Yup. Love it.

Hated the movie with passion and i think that the score only made it worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't remember much of the film, but the score lives on on album! Beautiful.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2014
    First:

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Trevor Jones

Then:

Cleopatra - Trevor Jones

I didn't realise quite how much I like Trevor Jones. These are great. Whatever happened to him?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2014
    Good question.

Maybe he's bogged down in less-than-stellar tv stuff these days.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I'm giving the complete(?) score to "Small Soldiers" the first real chance I've ever given it. Mainly to weed out which cues have the errors and see if I can repair the 2CD-R set, but also for suite purposes.

It's a good score, though I don't care for the electric guitar riffs breifly used in some cues.

Not as strong as I remember, but certainly amongst his top second tier scores. I'm hearing faint reminders of some of his other work here and there, including: "Innerspace", "Mulan", "First Knight", and "Star Trek: Insurrection". There's also a few breif cues with When Johnny Comes Marching Home used.

Some nice finds: a funky disco version of Sunrise (Strauss), is just a nifty good fun.

And a curiosity: at the end of a very short cue, the orchestra errupts in laughter (followed by somebody saying a bass was off). I wonder what was so funny.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Seven tracks into the complete rejected score to "Timeline" (Goldsmith).

Yeah, so far it seems the score is what I thought it ws back then: boring and unspectacular. So far not a single track I'd take away from it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. I'm actually quite partial to that score, to be honest. And the battle cues (Prepare for Battle and Victory for Us) are quite a hoot, I think.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. "Uncommon Valor" (Horner)

I thought I'd give this a spin just to check it out, as I never really gave it a proper chance. This is the old boot -- Intrada released the score back in September of 2010. I had the boot years, maybe a decade before they did it.

Aaaaahhhh.....

Well...

That opening 7:01 long cue, that'll never be played by me ever again! Though the last two minutes of ST:TSfS imitation Klingon music might be worth perserving; I'm still pondering. It was better in STIII.

Three cues, over eight minutes, went by with nothing I'd want to hear again. The only highlights, and they are so brief that even Superman wanks it slower than that, are riffs from other scores he's done. It sounds like a bunch of improvization centered around small chunks of written material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'm actually quite partial to that score, to be honest. And the battle cues (Prepare for Battle and Victory for Us) are quite a hoot, I think.

That cue is spectacular!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2014
    Been listening to John Frizzell's The Reaping and now Whiteout.

The former tapers off after a great start and some nice piano themes/motifs. His action music has always been fairly decent. The Omen-esque use of chanting choir in 'Locusts' is just bonkers.

Whiteout is the better score for me though. A stronger, if not entirely memorable theme emerges at times between some excellent action cues.
  7. NP: The Lion King Legacy Edition (1994) - Hans Zimmer & Elton John

This sounds just spectacular. The book-like designed sleeve is as nice as are the illustrated liner notes. A great release!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2014
    Pet Semetary - Elliot Goldenthal

I only ever had the original release on a really crappy cassette tape, so the expanded release is a godsend. And a great early score it is too. The main idea owes a deal to Schifrin's Amityville Horror but Goldenthal's vast array of creepy textures quickly overrides that faint echo. So much to enjoy here if you're in a mood for it, full as it is with brilliantly wrought, sinister cues - much better than the film deserved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In My Dreams - William Ross

Very lovely indeed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    NP: BBC Proms: film music, on BBC4. They're playing some Richard Rodney Bennett...crikey, this is VERY good!

Oh, sounds good. I'll catch up with that.

It sounds like you've not heard any Gordon Bennett before?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2014 edited
    How strange? After a week of full on cranked up music systems and performances and 200,000 people I thought I'd be gagging for some fine orchestral music but in fact I'm all musiked-out and I don't want to listen to anything.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Understandable.

I used to love silence back in my pre-tinnitus days.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. NP: Christine - John Carpenter

Going through a Carpenter playlist. There are few composers and their compositions that take me back to a place in time than Carpenter's scores from this era. His distinctive choice of synths and his use of rhythms (and stingers) just shifts me right back to the late 70s and early 80s.

It may be a "you had to be there" to really get Carpenter's music, but I am glad I had been there
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. NP: Assault On Precinct 13 - John Carpenter

A great main theme here - which is lucky as a lot of the score is based around it.

I'm listening to Alan Howarth's recreation of the score for BSX Records. It's a great recreation of the original score with a little additional music on top of the music released on the La Bande Son label back in 2003 (the one with the bad cover art.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014
    Southall wrote
    In My Dreams - William Ross

Very lovely indeed.

Eager to hear this. Ross' music is usually of quality.

new Transformers: Age of Extinction ep by Jablonsky. Few cues here, selection. Different, more pop in approach than previous installments, slightly more experimental, but certainly more engaging that the previous bore score.
  10. Jablonsky has said that these tracks on EP are "early versions" of thematic material and will not be on final album release. I wonder how representative they are of the final score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014
    Only those who saw the film can tell i guess smile