• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014
    A.R.RAHMAN - Million Dollar Arm

Bad, pretty uninteresting and generic.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014 edited
    Today's play list so far:
    Tristan and Isolde ~ Anne Dudley
    First listen. I enjoyed it very much. I particularly liked the melancholic ones. I know it's no surprise!
    The Last Samurai ~ Hans Zimmer
    It makes me emotional every time.
    The 13th Warrior ~ Jerry Goldsmith
    That theme! That theme!!! Thank you Demetris for reminding me ! hug
    NP: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II ~ Alexandre Desplat
    I adore Lily's theme and its incorporation throughout the score and the day wouldn't complete without Desplat.
    WP: The Hobbit- The Desolation of Smaug ~ Howard Shore
    Well, elfs, dwarves and the like are my kind if thing! I wish I were an elf actually! The ones who know we from Scorereviews probably remember!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Newman's How The West Was Won followed by Tiomkin's The Alamo.
    I'm in the mood for some no-nonsense, no holds barred, old fashioned, epic walls of sound (yeah, weeks like these...).
    How The West Was Won may just be the most rip-roaring, fist-pumping, ballsy western theme north of Ennio.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    How The West Was Won may just be the most rip-roaring, fist-pumping, ballsy western theme north of Ennio.

It is an incredible theme. One of those I can listen to over and over and over.

I'm not sure I've ever actually listened to the rest of the album. Which may be a mistake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Dinotopia - Trevor Jones

Brilliant! Why don't I listen to it more often?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Dinotopia - Trevor Jones

Or generally Trevor Jones more often...

n.p. RAMIN DJAWADI - game of thrones season 4

The more i listen to it the more i love it. The sentimental passages are very powerful (as the whole tone-downed nature of the album) as well as the action cues which are dynamic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

It is an incredible theme. One of those I can listen to over and over and over.

I'm not sure I've ever actually listened to the rest of the album. Which may be a mistake.

It is.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Dinotopia - Trevor Jones

The more i listen to it the more i love it. The sentimental passages are very powerful (as the whole tone-downed nature of the album) as well as the action cues which are dynamic.

You should watch the show wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You don't watch the show D? You're not an idiot are you??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I've watched all of it and I've read the books too but let me tell you that the books do not prepare you for the shock of seeing some things. I definitely love it! And the music is more than excellent most of the times!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not sure about that. I'd say the music is serviceable most of the time, with some very good bits interspersed here and there (the Lannister's theme being one of those highlights). It definitely deserves better music, but it does its job for the most part.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Creating an hour-long playlist of all seasons is MOST excellent! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love the show even though I have no idea what's going on most of the time. I hate the music within it (have never listened to it outside it). If ever a tv series deserved a proper score, it's that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    I love the show even though I have no idea what's going on most of the time.

Tell me about it...I spent the entirety of Season 3 not having a CLUE who's who and why they were doing what to whom!
    I kept thinking I'd glide back into it, and then suddenly the season was over!

Before I start on Season 4, I'magonna watch every single recap I can find for all three previous seasons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I know there are lots of people who are travelling from one place to another. Lots of these people look the same, but I learned that they are not the same. I've no real idea why any of them are going where they're going, nor in fact where they are going, and now I think about it nor where they have come from. And occasional boobies and deaths.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Dinotopia - Trevor Jones

I haven't listened to the album and I can't really remember much of the music besides a cool rendition of the main theme during the finale episode but I do remember a ghastly action cue written for The Watchers on the Wall battle that was was so hilariously bad that it even took my wife out of the scene. I'm not sure what the cue is called but it was written for one of the most pivotal episodes of the season and it was Godawful.

Now, I've liked Djawadi's music throughout the course of the first 4 seasons... it's not special by any means... it does it's job and that's about it. It really doesn't go above and beyond with the exception of a few cues here and there. I kind of wish the producers wanted more from the score. I think something a bit more bolder would help significantly.... but it's not like the show needs it because it would be a success with or without music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014
    Demetris wrote

You really should listen to some 90s Bollywood scores by Rahman to get your assessment of the composer proper.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: How to Train Your Dragon (Powell)

Never heard this actually. Some very nice things. (Possibly I'm not quite in the mood for something so sweet at the moment.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Constant Gardener - Alberto Iglesias

The best bits are scattered around and invariably too short. The rest comes close to tedium whilst adding some generic, exotic elements to the themeless mix.
  2. I like it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Nah, a bunch of people getting killed one after another and a lot of dicks around from what i hear? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

You really should listen to some 90s Bollywood scores by Rahman to get your assessment of the composer proper.

I think it will only make it worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Dinotopia - Trevor Jones

I haven't listened to the album and I can't really remember much of the music besides a cool rendition of the main theme during the finale episode but I do remember a ghastly action cue written for The Watchers on the Wall battle that was was so hilariously bad that it even took my wife out of the scene. I'm not sure what the cue is called but it was written for one of the most pivotal episodes of the season and it was Godawful.

Now, I've liked Djawadi's music throughout the course of the first 4 seasons... it's not special by any means... it does it's job and that's about it. It really doesn't go above and beyond with the exception of a few cues here and there. I kind of wish the producers wanted more from the score. I think something a bit more bolder would help significantly.... but it's not like the show needs it because it would be a success with or without music.

-Erik-

There's a mesmerizing feeling to the music of the 4th season. More melancholic than the previous 3 seasons, this is how i find it. Appeals more to me smile btw the compositional style and techniques he introduced in http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Of-Honor-Ga … B0043JC8L8 MEDAL OF HONOR are further used and developed in all the Game of Thrones scores he wrote so far; especially season 4th, the more solemn passages. I remember i was mocked for liking that score (MOH) wink
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    franz_conrad wrote
    I like it. wink

I knew you'd say that Michael!!
    Iglesias defender to the end! wink

Contact - Alan Silvestri

A very solid score; the theme, for starters, is subtly memorable and has the ability to lodge in your head for hours. 'Test Run Bomber' and 'Good to Go' are the standouts. 'The Primer' and 'Small Moves' are the only two boring, extraneous cues and the ones I'd be ditching if an effort to edit the score down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014 edited
    Love it. Contact and Cast Away (Forrest Gump as well) are my favorite Silvestri scores.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Indeed mate, Forrest Gump has three of the best themes he's ever written.

Amerika - Basil Poledouris

A wonderful score, packed full of great cues - and perhaps the most memorable of all, 'Ceremony Montage'. God I love that piece of music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    Indeed mate, Forrest Gump has three of the best themes he's ever written.

Amerika - Basil Poledouris

A wonderful score, packed full of great cues - and perhaps the most memorable of all, 'Ceremony Montage'. God I love that piece of music.

Agree and agree smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

Nah, a bunch of people getting killed one after another and a lot of dicks around from what i hear? wink

Its like LOST if LOST was good. tongue wink
  3. David OC wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I like it. wink

I knew you'd say that Michael!!
    Iglesias defender to the end! wink

Not quite to the end. I saw 2 faces of January on the weekend, and thought that score felt a little like him treading water stylistically. But Constant Gardener had just enough of the right stuff mixed in with local colours. The album sequencing is not good, I'll grant you that.

NP: Locke (Dickon Hinchliffe)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's mostly female nudity.