• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    You don't watch the show D? You're not an idiot are you??

Nah, a bunch of people getting killed one after another and a lot of dicks around from what i hear? wink

It's mostly female nudity.

Sorry, I fell off the discussion earlier. What show are you guys talking about again?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014 edited
    franz_conrad wrote

NP: Locke (Dickon Hinchliffe)

Gut?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    You don't watch the show D? You're not an idiot are you??

Nah, a bunch of people getting killed one after another and a lot of dicks around from what i hear? wink

It's mostly female nudity.

Sorry, I fell off the discussion earlier. What show are you guys talking about again?

Antiques Roadshow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol

Demetris wrote
    I remember i was mocked for liking that score (MOH) wink

And rightfully so. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Demetris wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

NP: Locke (Dickon Hinchliffe)

Gut?

Ambient sort of score. Means more to me since I've seen the film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    lol

Demetris wrote
    I remember i was mocked for liking that score (MOH) wink

And rightfully so. wink

-Erik-

But they share a lot of similar techniques. One is a score to one of the most successful tv shows of all times though; shows how biased people are wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Does his Medal of Honor score have anything as good as The King's Arrival, Wildfire, Mother of Dragons, and the Lannister's theme? Genuine question by the way, I haven't heard Medal of Honor (although I'd be surprised given what sort of music those types of games usually end up with).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Djawadi's MOH is fitting for the game but is absolute dreck on it's own. Another example of functional music that doesn't aspire to be anything else.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    As is most of his Thrones music. But like monkeys typing on a typewriter, the breadth of the show has clearly given him a chance to come up with the occasional above-average cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    When you're writing that much music it's inconceivable that a small part of it would fail to actually do the show some good. Most of it simply avoids doing bad, which is what seems to tick people's boxes these days.
  2. NP: Game of Thrones Season 3 (2013) - Ramin Djawadi

I like this a lot on it's own. I neither saw the show nor did I read the books. Volume 1 and Season 1 are both sitting on my shelf demanding my attention.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    When you're writing that much music it's inconceivable that a small part of it would fail to actually do the show some good. Most of it simply avoids doing bad, which is what seems to tick people's boxes these days.

Indeed. If D wants to see true bias, check out some of the less reputable forums on t'internet. It beggars belief just what people will go crazy for.
  3. Southall wrote

That could be a new pick up line for score lovers: "Hey baby, want me to tick your box?"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Indeed. If D wants to see true bias, check out some of the less reputable forums on t'internet. It beggars belief just what people will go crazy for.

No, no, i am sick of fanboys, don't stand them anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fargo - Jeff Russo

Very good. Beautifully evocative of cold. Works a treat in the show. Absolutely cannot believe there is no credit here for Carter Burwell, whose film score is all over it.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Djawadi's MOH is fitting for the game but is absolute dreck on it's own. Another example of functional music that doesn't aspire to be anything else.

-Erik-

I largely agree with this but I actually find the cue "High Ground" to be quite appealing.

Not a huge fan of Game of Thrones music either. There's a handful of good cues, but spread far too thin. And actually I thought Season 4 was the weakest so far; it barely has even that.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    Fargo - Jeff Russo

Very good. Beautifully evocative of cold. Works a treat in the show. Absolutely cannot believe there is no credit here for Carter Burwell, whose film score is all over it.

It does work beautifully in the show but I can't imagine wanting to listen to the CD - it's basically all just variations/re-interpretations of Burwell's music, as you said.

Been flying through some lesser James Horner - smaller scores with great main themes and little else. Top of the list have been Dad and Class Action.

The Devil's Own has more substance to it though and the use of electronic elements, in this case, has become strangely endearing with the passing of time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Fargo - Jeff Russo

Ah so it's basically a continuation of Burwell's?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I largely agree with this but I actually find the cue "High Ground" to be quite appealing.

Not a huge fan of Game of Thrones music either. There's a handful of good cues, but spread far too thin. And actually I thought Season 4 was the weakest so far; it barely has even that.

What does being a game have anything to do with quality? The score is thematic and the compositional style he developed with MOH is the predecessor of his Game of Thrones way of scoring.

Steven wrote
    Does his Medal of Honor score have anything as good as The King's Arrival, Wildfire, Mother of Dragons, and the Lannister's theme? Genuine question by the way, I haven't heard Medal of Honor (although I'd be surprised given what sort of music those types of games usually end up with).

Listen to:

"the summit"
    "from here"
    "heroes aboard"
    "falling away"
    "high ground"
    "final extraction"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Fargo - Jeff Russo

The main theme (which forms the basis for much of it) is at the very least a close cousin to Burwell's theme. It's very impressive scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Orchestral?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KING OF KINGS (Miklos Rozsa)

A fairly recent discovery of mine (the whole album, that is -- I've always adored "The Lord's Prayer"), but it's slowly becoming my favourite Rosza. This is the MGM rerecording. Thor, regarding sound quality etc, is this MGM re-recording the best version?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Love it too, great main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thor wrote
    NP: KING OF KINGS (Miklos Rozsa)

A fairly recent discovery of mine (the whole album, that is -- I've always adored "The Lord's Prayer"), but it's slowly becoming my favourite Rosza. This is the MGM rerecording. Thor, regarding sound quality etc, is this MGM re-recording the best version?

Hey, who added that last sentence to my post? Bregt?

But yeah, the sound quality is great even though the recording itself is from 1961. If it's the best version, I do not know. I haven't heard that many. Here's more info:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/notes/k … kings.html
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    Hey, who added that last sentence to my post? Bregt?

Nope. Must be Demetris or Martijn...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, it was me, sorry! shame Thanks for the reply Thor!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

What does being a game have anything to do with quality? The score is thematic and the compositional style he developed with MOH is the predecessor of his Game of Thrones way of scoring.

Steven wrote

Listen to:

"the summit"
    "from here"
    "heroes aboard"
    "falling away"
    "high ground"
    "final extraction"

Btw please note i am referring to his 2010 MOH score, not the pretty bad 2012 MOH: warfighter score.
  5. NP: House of Cards Season 2 (Jeff Beal)

I'm doing the unusual thing. Buying the 5-6 most downloaded cues off iTunes and making that my mini-album of this. And it's nice. Chilled and ominous at the same time. It doesn't wear out its welcome. (I struggle with the idea that there were 2 full discs in that season.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Fargo - Jeff Russo

The main theme (which forms the basis for much of it) is at the very least a close cousin to Burwell's theme. It's very impressive scoring.

You say that it "works a treat in the show". Without any reference at all to the show, it's only occasionally memorable. The title theme is good, but as you also say, it's "evocative of cold" and it certainly left me cold.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. I like Djawadi's Medal of Honor score and Heroes Aboard is a definite highlight of his career.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website