• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Christopher Columbus (1949) - Arthur Bliss
    The Slovac Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Adriano. On Naxos.

This is wonderfully Spanish falvoured golden age glory.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014
    Out of Africa John Barry

Much like Timmer, I'm a little tired of clichéd African music. If I want to listen to something that evokes Africa, this is the score of me.

bunny
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Out of Africa John Barry

Much like Timmer, I'm a little tired of clichéd African music. If I want to listen to something that evokes Africa, this is the score of me.

bunny

cool beer

Karen's Journey/Siyawe has some "clichéd" African music albeit in the old-fashioned umbongo umbongo variety and ends with some beautiful vocals. I can't even imagine a blind person not being able to see the most expansive vistas at the 54 second mark of Karen's Journey, one of the most glorious string and horn fanfares of all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Umbongo umbongo... I'm sure there's some place they drink that, but I can't quite remember.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    Umbongo umbongo... I'm sure there's some place they drink that, but I can't quite remember.

All I know is that they don't drink it in the Congo.

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 … 6bd40f.jpg
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Southall wrote

Does Danny Elfman drink it? Or am I confusing that with something else?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You're thinking of Milk (starring Sean Penn)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Hans Zimmer and The Magnificent Six & Four Additional Composers

Once again, the movie redeemed the score. After seeing it last night, I feel that was really well done. The thematic material for Electro was very nicely done, and the whispering voice motifs really worked, giving you an extra layer into what Max Dillon was thinking at the time. There were a a few (few!) moments where it felt out of place due to the dubstep effect, but overally, it's a winner. It's quite sad that the Electro character, one of the most powerful character on screen, got the weakest story line and got basically relegated to being a henchman for the Goblin. And the Goblin stuff was greatly expanded in the movie, and felt generally more creepy and disturbing than on album (due to its truncated inclusion in the official release).

However, one of the best thing about the score is the romantic portions. I felt that Zimmer and the team really nailed the sparkly chemistry between Gwen and Peter. It's literally the most authentic part of the movie for me. The guitar stuff, the piano and string pieces. Those are very simple elements, but they worked really well to counter the barrage of sound production for the three main baddies. Zimmer should do some more romantic comedies. I really missed his lighter fare like The Holiday and Casi Diva.
  3. That album need no redeeming whatsoever for my listening pleasure. I always dreamed that HZ would one day do a full bown electronica studio album in the spirit of Jean Michel Jarre. This album comes pretty close. (The longer version, I newer listened to the shorter one.)

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    That album need no redeeming whatsoever for my listening pleasure. I always dreamed that HZ would one day do a full bown electronica studio album in the spirit of Jean Michel Jarre. This album comes pretty close. (The longer version, I newer listened to the shorter one.)

Volker

Which makes me all the more curious about the visit Jarre had to Zimmer's studio some months back. I have no idea what the visit was about, but I can only dream of a collaboration of some sort.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I am assuming Jarre was there to teach Zimmer a thing or two about electronic music?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha! wink

Well, it's not that farfetched. Although Zimmer is a master of the craft himself, Jarre is only, like, one of the friggin' GODFATHERS of electronic music.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am assuming Jarre was there to teach Zimmer a thing or two about electronic music?

biggrin applause

Get John Williams to teach him how to write orchestral music too and he could be pretty good eh? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Captain Future wrote
    That album need no redeeming whatsoever for my listening pleasure. I always dreamed that HZ would one day do a full bown electronica studio album in the spirit of Jean Michel Jarre. This album comes pretty close. (The longer version, I newer listened to the shorter one.)

Volker

My point was that i didn't really understand how the score worked, and so album has to function by itself, and i didn't have a lot to REALLY enjoy. However, what I did like, really worked very well with the movie, and it's a better listening experience for me now, than before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Greatest Game Ever Played - Brian Tyler

I've been relistening to a lot of his stuff over the last few days. It's been fun. This one's very nice, very different from all his action scores, obvious bit of inspiration from Legends of the Fall but most of it's not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    He scored a film about golf? shocked

Interesting departure!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    He scored a film about golf? shocked

I was going to joke along with you until I looked it up and saw you aren't joking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Now You See Me - Brian Tyler

This is really good fun. Very David Holmes / Ocean's 11.
  5. Now You See Me? Aren't you sitting in the dark as a sign of remembrance?
  6. The Lion King: The Legacy Collection - Hans Zimmer/Elton John/Tim Rice
    How To Train Your Dragon 2 - John Powell

Just got these two from the mail. Enjoy pretty much everything in them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2014
    NP: THE GREATEST MIRACLE (Mark McKenzie)

It's a lovely, melodic score, but perhaps a bit TOO obvious in its schmalzy Hollywood department.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    Which makes me all the more curious about the visit Jarre had to Zimmer's studio some months back. I have no idea what the visit was about, but I can only dream of a collaboration of some sort.

Perhaps for Interstellar?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote

Perhaps for Interstellar?

Don't even tempt me with such fantastic thoughts! Jarre has done his fair share of 'spacey'-sounding tracks, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWHTdRJhB30
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP:Conan The Barbarian - Basil P

It's been many months since last hearing this and it blows me away every time!

What was the Goldsmith/Poledouris story as to Jerry using the opening notes from this in his Total Recall score?
  7. I think Poledouris was in the temp-track (and actually was the primary composer on the film, but had to bow out?) and Goldsmith wanted to do some kind of a loving homage to Anvil of Crom with the rhythm at the beginning? It was something like that.

Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

This actually was my all-time favourite Hans score for quite a while, though I never got around to really getting to all the original classical influences to this one. It did however inspire me to listen to Mahler's 5th Symphony which features the evergreen Adagietto, one of my all-time favorite single classical pieces.

It's a very good score, quite valued at the time. And it ages very well due to a very classical sound at heart and actually, very romantic ("romantic comedy" - that's how Hans described the film). It's quite conceptual at heart and I actually DO have an article about this, but never got around to actually translate it to English. It's all by design. Even the dialogue. And it's a rare case where it actually fits.

It's weird to talk about a score called like that and not connected in any way to the Carthaginian leader... but it IS like revisiting an old friend smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote

What was the Goldsmith/Poledouris story as to Jerry using the opening notes from this in his Total Recall score?

I think what Pawel said is basically correct.

I also read an interview in a film magazine many years ago ( just before the film was released....geez do I really go back that far confused wink ) where Basil said he listened to THE WIND AND THE LION at Milius insistence to get ideas for Conan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Very interesting! Thanks guys! smile
  8. Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote

I think what Pawel said is basically correct.

I also read an interview in a film magazine many years ago ( just before the film was released....geez do I really go back that far confused wink ) where Basil said he listened to THE WIND AND THE LION at Milius insistence to get ideas for Conan.

I had a discussion with Southall a few days ago (yesterday?) about the similarities. They're maybe not impeccable, but for example the harmony, the percussion involvement, makes sense. I did listen (and watch) The Wind and the Lion thinking that they're quite similar at times. No rip-offs whatsoever, but some similar ideas. Thanks for that info!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I wish Pawel were here. He'd know which day is national Air Force One day in Poland!

Somehow an image manifasted itself in my mind right now, a Harrier jet touching down vertically in your back yard, burning all your flowers and the pilot announcing that it is Royal Air Force Day and that you are invited. cheesy

(There most certainly is no Luftwaffe-Tag in Germany.)

With Zimmer anthems in the background (sorry for chiming in so late wink)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Jane Eyre (1944) - Bernard Herrmann
    Naxos re-recording

This is superb.

Volker

I just happen to be spinning this CD in preparation for a review. The nature of this recording is almost classical in nature. Unlike "The Devil and Daniel Webster" he never put together a symphonic suite
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!