• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. LLL releases
    - Lethal Weapon (8 CD set)
    - Superman Returns (expanded)
    - Police Academy
    - Gunfight at the OK Corral

Justin will surely elaborate on this. smile

Tiomkin's "O.K. Corral" is an instant buy for me. Nor sure about "Superman Returns" though. Do you think the score justifies another investment?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Superman Returns? I don't think so. Stick with the originals.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. No, I think you got it, Cap'n. :-)

However, LLLR did elaborate a one the LW box after one member complained about the repetitiveness of the music and thinking about skipping it:

It's repetitive because they tracked music in from the other films. What is presented here is the score as was written and recorded for the films...tons of music NO ONE has heard until now (unless you were there when they recorded it)!

MV
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. MV speaks about the batch, as well as a couple hints of future releases within the text:

Glad you guys are happy with this last batch. We tried to have something for everyone, but alas we didn't want to overindulge. lol So, you fans of animation and video game scores will have to wait until 2014 for a few of those goodies

To us, no one does it any better than Tiomkin! The man had a gift for melody. Some may think his style is over the top, but we just love his epic sound! This is a our third Tiomkin release. With each one we work on we fall deeper and deeper in love with his magic. With more Tiomkin in the works for 2014 and beyond, we get to fall in love his scores all over again and again and again!

I don't need to tell you guys that our love of comedy scores has no bounds (see Airplane, Blazing Saddles, Caddyshack and all the other wonderful comedy scores we have released over the years). Most comedy scores don't not sell, but Police Academy is in a class by itself. It's a classic and a must for fans! I can't tell you how excited Mr. Folk is over this release! He was involved from beginning to end and couldn't be more proud. The man practically did back flips when he saw the final product. He was like a proud papa, lol. If all goes well, more Police Academy will follow!

Superman Returns is really a special treat for us since it's such a recent film score as well the one missing element from that fantastic FSM box set! An extra special thanks goes out to composer John Ottman who juggled overseeing this project while editing and scoring the upcoming X Men film (the man never sleeps. lol). He is truly one of the nicest guys I have ever met and absolutely adores his fans. Btw... Happy birthday, Superman!

As for our big box set it was great seeing all of your guesses. Some of them were really out there! The most popular guess was Tales From the Crypt. I thought, at some point in the past few years, I told you guys the project has been shelved due to insane rights issues. Perhaps some day they will be worked out but for right now the project is in development hell and is not coming out in the near future (and NO, it would never be a huge box set)

I can't tell you what an honor it has been to work on this set of music from the Lethal Weapon films. I personally started on it about 4 1/2 years ago, but there were element issues as well LW 4 questions that needed to be addressed. When Neil jumped on board as the primary producer on this project it started to gain full momentum. Like with last year's Die Hard with a Vengeance, it was ear opening to hear all the unused material featured in Parts 2 and 3. So much was temp tracked. Sadly the one major track we couldn't include on the set is the FILM VERSION of It's Probably Me" the song performed by Eric Clapton and Sting that opens LW3. The artist were happy with the version that came out on the original album. One other minor song that didn't make it on here is "Why Can't We Be Friends" For some reason the artists didn't want it on the set. I guess you can say it wasn't worth going to WAR over that number.

Other than that, I think you will be in for a great surprise.

Furthermore, our thanks goes out to Sandra Kamen, the wife of the late Michael Kamen, for all her help with this project. I strongly urge all of you to check out the Mr Holland's Opus Foundation (link above in press release). It's a wonderful organization that honor's Mr. Kamen's legacy as well as gives inspirations to the future Michael Kamen's of the world!

See y'all next Tuesday Dec 3, 2013 at 12 pm pst when these fine titles go on sale.

T.T.F.N.

MV

Oh, please let TTFN mean what I hope it means.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2013
    Oh, please let TTFN mean what I hope it means.

?
    What do you expect T.T.F.N. to mean?
  5. TTFN = Ta ta for now

A phrase famously uttered by Catwoman to Batman in an episode of the 1966 series.

MV once stated his label was the Batman label, and recently reports are rights issues are getting cleared up (there may even be a DVD release of the series finally); previously the label couldn't do it because of rights issues.

He doesn't really do clues (anymore), but he does drop little hints once in a while.
  6. Finally, Police Academy. I hope the first movie is complete, not like the bootleg which is a sort of compilation of all the films. The other sequels can be presented as well, but the first movie must be complete. That I'll buy immediately (if its complete)

Superman Returns has nice music that wasn't released, but don't think I'll be buying this.

Lethal Weapon is surely a great box set, but depends on how much it costs
    perhaps for Christmas presents? smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. New from Kronos, under their "Gold" line (older scores):

SOLIMANO IL CONQUISTATORE by FRANCESCO De MASI
    (KRONGOLD003)

Kronos Records proudly presents for the first time ever on CD one of the most epic, beautiful and bombastic scores by the late Maestro FRANCESCO De MASI : Solimano il Conqiuistatore (Suleiman the Conqueror) the soundtrack for the 1961 Italo-Yugoslavian co-production, directed by Vatroslav Mimica.

After a beautiful 33 rpm records published on the late Franco De Gemini’s Beat Records at the time of the film, the "Solimano Il Conquistatore” soundtrack appears for the first time ever on CD, completely remastered for the occasion and ready to transport you in the magical epic world of one of the world's most genial composers ever. MAESTRO FRANCESCO De MASI conducts his own work in the masterpiece. Liner notes courtesy of FILIPPO De MASI , the Maestro's only son who honours us once again with his foreword.

Limited edition of 500 copies
    Preorder opens 30th November 2013
    Release Date January 2014

I PROMESSI SPOSI by CARLO RUSTICHELLI
    (KRONGOLD004)

Kronos Records proudly presents for the first time ever on CD and in its complete form CARLO RUSTICHELLI's epic dramatic score for the 1964 film I PROMESSI SPOSI (The Bethroted) based on Alessandro Manzoni's historical novel of the same name.

The music was previously only released on a vinyl by CAM the same year the series was aired on television. Kronos Records is proud to present this soundtrack for the first time ever on CD format. The first eighteen tracks of the CD contain the program as featured on the original CAM lp. The rest of the CD contains the rest of the cues as heard in the series and all previously unreleased in any format, courtesy of the C.A.M. vaults.
    Get this immortal classic while you still can!

Limited edition of 500 copies
    Preorder opens 30th November 2013
    Release Date January 2014

for sound samples and to order go on http://www.kronosrecords.com/catalogue.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I've pre-ordered this release twice now.
    Twice it was cancelled after *months* of waiting.

I think I'll wait until it *actually* is released now.
    My hopes ain't high.

Martijn, I haven't ordered it yet but I thought you'd like to know that two FSM posters have now received their copies smile

...how long has it been? rolleyes

...It...it just came in! shocked dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2013
    Excellent! I'm ordering tomorrow when money clears.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Not coming any time soon in expanded/deluxe edition, at least not from LLLR's:

Last Samurai is simply Mr Zimmer not wanting to expand it. He is perfectly happy with the version that came out. We respect his wishes

MV
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2013
    justin boggan wrote
    Not coming any time soon in expanded/deluxe edition, at least not from LLLR's:

Last Samurai is simply Mr Zimmer not wanting to expand it. He is perfectly happy with the version that came out. We respect his wishes

MV

Excellent!
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Releasing an expanded album doesn't make the original go away. Don't buy it all you like, but I completely fail to see the logic in not allowing it to become available to those who do want it. confused
  10. Obviously the release of an expanded version is something that Zimmer believes would somehow tarnish the value of the original release - which I assume he had a hand in putting together. Composers, being the creative type, are likely to have a vision for their projects/albums. And if they have the clout to release something according to their own vision then they don't see the need for anything more.

Other composers may feel that their own projects' releases may have been constrained by some aspect that they could not control - e.g., 30 minute running times, relatively poor sound quality on original release, etc. In these cases, perhaps the composer would jump at the chance of releasing more in order to see their "vision" realised.

I would imagine that "we respect his wishes" translates to something akin to "whatever someone as powerful in the business as Hans Zimmer says, goes" and you don't want to push it as it may affect access to other releases?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. The score is represented in the way Hans intends it to be heard. As simple as that. I do agree with Thor that album programming and sequencing is an artistic endeavor. I would actually say that The Last Samurai is one of the best programs Hans ever made in terms of presenting a very coherent narrative, not in sequence of the movie, but representing the core of the story as it goes in the film.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  12. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Obviously the release of an expanded version is something that Zimmer believes would somehow tarnish the value of the original release - which I assume he had a hand in putting together. Composers, being the creative type, are likely to have a vision for their projects/albums. And if they have the clout to release something according to their own vision then they don't see the need for anything more.

Other composers may feel that their own projects' releases may have been constrained by some aspect that they could not control - e.g., 30 minute running times, relatively poor sound quality on original release, etc. In these cases, perhaps the composer would jump at the chance of releasing more in order to see their "vision" realised.

I would imagine that "we respect his wishes" translates to something akin to "whatever someone as powerful in the business as Hans Zimmer says, goes" and you don't want to push it as it may affect access to other releases?

Yeah, exactly. La La Land has a very good relationship with Hans and I think that he wouldn't allow something like Black Rain or Days of Thunder (people may hate the scores today, but they do have a cult status among people who grew up watching these movies) to be released by another label.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  13. PawelStroinski wrote
    The score is represented in the way Hans intends it to be heard. As simple as that. I do agree with Thor that album programming and sequencing is an artistic endeavor. I would actually say that The Last Samurai is one of the best programs Hans ever made in terms of presenting a very coherent narrative, not in sequence of the movie, but representing the core of the story as it goes in the film.

I agree it's a great album, and to be honest (been a while since I saw the movie) I can't think of much missing music that I'd be really keen on hearing, but that doesn't change the principle of my argument. If someone were to make an expanded version, that does not mean that they'd send Montag from Fahrenheit 451 around to burn up all the copies of the original. Love that program? Fine! Continue listening to it by all means. I encourage it. Nobody is discouraging it! But why should that preclude the existence of an expanded/complete version?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2013 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Releasing an expanded album doesn't make the original go away. Don't buy it all you like, but I completely fail to see the logic in not allowing it to become available to those who do want it. confused

I want to delete them off the face of the earth! Back to the dark chasm from whence they came! MWAHAHAHAHAHA! Exterminate! Exterminate! devil
    I am extremely serious.
  14. DISCONTINUATION ALERT

You have until January 13, 2014, to get these:

15. Tiny, tiny update on "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (Volume 2):

This definitely helps with this project. SOOOOO much TNG music has been released already so we want to make sure this next volume (and possibly last for TNG) covers the rest of the best. Right now we don't know if it will be 2 or 3 discs.

We will not be including any Ron Jones music, though. I think FSM covered that. smile

MV
  16. Look up your wallets, hide your check books -- the big sleeping bear has come out from hibernation:

December 03, 2013
    THE CD CLUB RETURNS!

What a fabulous, celebratory year our 35th Anniversary has been. Concerts in Macau, Tenerife and Pozna? ... our relationship and more concerts with the Golden State Pops Orchestra, and our always full slate of new film soundtracks. With all of this going on, something had to give and our poor CD Club was given a bit of a hiatus. For all those who have waited so patiently, the Club now returns with new titles being announce on Monday, December 9. Hopefully everyone will find something of interest in our new, typically diverse batch of special releases. And we certainly have more goodies lined up for 2014. Happy Holidays to everyone! Let the joyous news be spread ... the CD Club is not dead! Visit our website on Monday, December 9 for the new titles to be revealed and ordered.

Also, the final batch from Quartet for this year:

Our Christmas batch is ready and it will be announced in the coming days!.

Three very exciting albums on which we have worked hard and thankfully will be available.

You can find one title from the seventies and two from the eighties. We have an expanded Best Original Score Oscar-winning, an epic-adventure finally remastered and expanded in a 2-CD set, and the World premiere release of the original film tracks from a classy and beloved score by a classy and beloved composer.

Happy Christmas to all!
  17. Two of Kritzerland's next releases (I think there's another unguessed, but the clue got lost in the FSM thread):

"The Commancheros" (Bernstein; re-issue, a new mastering)

"Sabrina" / "We're No Angels"[/b] / miscellaneous score (Frederick Hollander)
    On the first Hollander score:
    Most of it, as per the wishes of director Billy Wilder, are Hollander's brilliant arrangements of popular songs, but there are a handful of original cues as well.

I might be mis-remebering and the Bernstein is later.
  18. CD sale over at Kritzerland:

And just a head's up that there's our second annual Christmas sale up now - sixteen great titles at half price - if you missed any of these now would be a good time to grab them.
  19. New from Quartet Records: Holdridge, Rozsa and Jarre, oh my!

Quartet Records is delighted to present its Christmas batch: Three limited editions that also are our latest releases for 2013. Much more on 2014 ...

A PASSAGE TO INDIA (Expanded)
    Music Composed and Conducted by Maurice Jarre
    Limited Edition of 1200 units

Quartet Records, in collaboration with Tadlow Music and Capitol Records, proudly presents the complete classic score for the last film directed by David Lean, composed by Maurice Jarre, Academy Award winner for Best Original Score in 1985.

David Lean and Maurice Jarre enjoyed a well-established and beloved director/composer relationship even though they made only four films together—but what magnificent films and scores they were! The music for Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Ryan’s Daughter and A Passage to India earned Jarre three Oscars, and the scores are among the most recognized and iconic in movie history.

A Passage to India, based on an E. M. Forster novel, is set in India during the 1920s—the height of the British Raj. It explores the thorny question of British-Indian relations through the experience of a young British woman. Jarre’s score is based primarily on two themes, including one that on the surface is nothing more than a pop-styled foxtrot. The composer develops this material at greater length on the album than in the movie (which contains only about 20 minutes of music)—demonstrating a level of sophistication and artistry in keeping with the multi-layered nuances of Lean’s film.

The album has been expanded by about 20 minutes from the original Capitol release. It features the complete score that Jarre prepared for the film, including many cues that were not used in the final cut (such as the music Jarre composed and recorded for the Marabar Caves sequence), as well as an alternate main title and a lot of exotic Indian music composed by Jarre in the same style as The Man Who Would Be King.

Powerfully performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under the composer’s baton, this release has been fully remixed and mastered from the original 24-track session tapes by Gareth Williams, and we can say that it has never sounded better. Produced by James Fitzpatrick from Tadlow Music for Quartet Records, the package includes a 20-page booklet with liner notes by Frank K. DeWald and James Fitzpatrick.

THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (The Archival Edition)
    Music Composed and Conducted by Miklós Rózsa
    Limited Edition of 1000 units

Quartet Records and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer present the world-premiere release of the classy, unforgettable music composed by Miklós Rózsa for Billy Wilder´s classic The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.

Wilder’s unique take on the world’s greatest consulting detective was meant to explore previously dark corners of Homes’ life—including his addiction to cocaine and his troubled relationships with women. Last-minute studio jitters forced Wilder to make massive cuts, shortening the running time from 210 to 125 minutes. The resulting film, in spite of great performances by Robert Stephens, Colin Blakely, Geneviève Page and Christopher Lee, failed to catch fire at the box office.

For music, Wilder turned to his friend and past collaborator (Five Graves to Cairo, The Lost Weekend, Double Indemnity) Miklós Rózsa, asking him to adapt his Violin Concerto, Op. 24, for the film. Rózsa obliged, augmenting the concert work with a number of evocative new themes for the picture. The music for Holmes anticipates the elegant but autumnal mood of such later scores as Providence, Time After Time, Fedora and Last Embrace, while simultaneously combining the compassion and wisdom of experience with the wit, charm and joie de vivre of youth.

The soundtrack album of The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes was never issued on LP. Rózsaphiles were thus understandably ecstatic when, in 2007, James Fitzpatrick reconstructed and recorded the entire score for Tadlow Music. That superb recording remains an essential touchstone in the Rózsa discography. Still, fans have continued to hope for a release of the original tracks.

Quartet Records spent almost three years searching for the best possible sources, but the original masters are, unfortunately, forever lost. We have used three different monaural music-only stems from the MGM vaults for this release—none of which was in ideal condition. Engineer Jose Louis Crespo has minimized the changes in level necessitated by the addition of dialogue and effects and meticulously blended the best sources for each cue. (A tech note included in the booklet explains the lengthy and frustrating process in greater detail.) The resulting CD, in spite of its less-than-ideal sound, preserves the composer’s own irreplaceable interpretation, bringing this marvelous music back to life more than 40 years after it was written.

All of Miklós Rózsa’s music is worth preserving. This premiere “archival edition” of the original tracks of The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, extraordinarily performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under the composer’s baton, was a labor of love for everyone involved. The immortal music of Rózsa deserves nothing less. The lavishly designed package includes a 28-page booklet with liner notes and track-by-track analysis by Frank K. DeWald.

THE BEASTMASTER (2-CD Expanded)
    Music Composed and Conducted by Lee Holdridge
    Limited Edition of 1200 units

Quartet Records, in collaboration with Gruppo Sugar, proudly presents the premiere expanded CD release of Lee Holdridge’s epic symphonic score from the popular fantasy adventure film directed by Don Coscarelli in 1982.

Recorded in Rome with members of the Orchestra of the Academy of Santa Cecilia and the Radio Symphony, Holdridge provides an incredibly powerful and exciting score dominated by an epic main theme. The score also features a beautiful love theme, fierce action cues, adventure music and dark and mystical passages.

The first score album for The Beastmaster was released by Varèse Sarabande in 1983. It was subsequently reissued by CAM Records, and as a promotional album paired with music from Holdridge’s TV score to Beauty and the Beast. The album underwent some modifications along the way—most notably, the addition of Holdridge’s dramatic re-write of the climactic “The Battle on the Pyramid.” It is the revised program that appears here.

Quartet’s expanded score assembly was created from the surviving first-generation CAM master tapes, vaulted in mint condition at Gruppo Sugar, and differs from both the original album and the music as heard in the film. The assembly features much music that was cut from the film, as well as several alternate takes and compositions. The score is presented in film order, as originally conceived by Holdridge.

Mastered by Claudio Fuiano, the package for this deluxe 2-CD edition includes a 20-page full color booklet with liner notes and track-by-track analysis by John Takis.

The three CDs will ship next Thursday 12th
    For more info, place an order, or hear audio samples, please visit www.quartetrecords.com.
  20. This batch ... omg !
  21. New from Beat Records:

Le Ruffian (Ennio Morricone)
    Le Altre (Piero Piccioni)
    House of Forbidden (Fabio Frizzi)
    Erika (Roberto Pregadio)
  22. Everybody has got their panties in a wad because colosseum.de put the covers up to the Varese Sarabande CD Club titles on their site and a fan managed to find them. So, the new titles are:

"Runaway" (reissue)
    "Brass Target"
    "Star Trek: Nemesis" (1CD, complete)
    "The Abyss"
    "Vibes"
    "Suspect"
  23. Ordering "Nemesis" and "Abyss" tomorrow will be an act of sheer necessity.

Volker
  24. At least with the titles being made known I can now focus my attention on more pressing things - like trying to decide what I'd like for Christmas!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2013
    biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.