• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010 edited
    Hihi
    http://www.whattheinternetknowsaboutyou.com/

It's (from my 'professional' point of view) a cool hack in browsers. It won't do anything wrong on MainTitles or on the site above, but fishy websites might find out more about you than you think, because of an implementation in the styling of websites.

You might know that a link that you visited, sometimes colours differently. The website above makes use of that difference, and runs over a list of popular websites to check this difference by using Javascript, enabling it to see a part of your surfing history.

Génial!

While this colour behaviour is completely following the standards and offers important usability, Mozilla (thé open standards messiah) reported it will 'fix' this and will remove this part of the standard from a next version of Firefox, for the user's security.

An odd question rises: should Mozilla follow the open standards it so highly proclaims, or put this detail aside and focus on the user's safety?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010
    How fast google chrome is wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCgQDjiotG0
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010
    applause

Great video.
    Kazoo
  1. Or what you can do when you have lots of free time.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2010
    ^ Have you visited the religion thread lately? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Or the Lost thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, just compare them smile As for the Lost thread, i haven't written anything big lately and generally nor do others, especially compared to last year and the year before that smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I couldn't find the Lost thread. sad

My coat. Let you show me it. shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Finally switched to Google Chrome (because I hadn't yet realised they had released a Mac version), and I'm already much happier with it than Firefox purely for its speed. Even when I deleted all cookies and cleared the cache in Firefox, it still took the piss to load whenever I turned on my computer.... Chrome on the other hand is positively instantaneous compared to Firefox! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Google chrome's speed and operation is screamingly fast and impressive! But it doesn't have the plugins of firefox...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's also available in ubuntu linux, under the name of chrominum or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Chrome has now also lots of plugins D. It recenty was opened for developers, and lots of them have appeared.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sweet. Does it have a weather plugin, spellcheck and checking your email thingy yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I know that the GMail Notifier is there, and I'm sure the other two are available as well.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Available in here? http://www.chromeplugins.org/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Even when I deleted all cookies and cleared the cache in Firefox, it still took the piss to load whenever I turned on my computer.... Chrome on the other hand is positively instantaneous compared to Firefox! shocked

Indeed, after the latest editions during the last 2 years, firefox loads very slowly on most computers, especially if you load it with plugins. I have 4 cpu's of 3ghz each with 8gb ram and an x64 operating system, everything runs screamingly fast apart firefox.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Four?
    What do you do?
    Run the interwebz locally? shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010
    hehe, no, video editing. It's barely enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010
    Question for users of CHROME:

Does it implement on its own or via an addon, an english spell-checking capability?
  2. Christodoulides wrote

Does it implement on its own or via an addon, an english spell-checking capability?

I'm a Chrome user but I'm not going to be useful in the slightest...I don't know. shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

Only if you have an English installation. Otherwise I don't know. You'd probably need some sort of add-on.
    (My installations are always in English, so it works for me by default).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ok, that'd do it for me as well, i never install anything else than english-language software and o.s. I hate the Greek translations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010
    The new mozilla firefox beta 4 is out and it looks promising, compared to the hideously problematic and slow last versions of the browser. Let's see if they get it right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2010
    I just switched to Chrome on mac, because Safari 5 is slow lately.
    Chrome is fast, but Safai was more convenient.... Chrome's bookmark manager is hard to manage rolleyes

Is there any good extensions?
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Getting used to something and then switching is a bitch, but Safari is one of the worst browsers out there, after internet explorer 6. Chrome is the way to go 'cause Mozilla firefox (also a great one) is getting very heavy and slow as its versions proceed, unfortunately.

On mobile devices, nothing beats Opera mobile / opera mini yet.
  3. I don't see any slowdown with Firefox 3.6.12, except for a slight delay when starting up. Other than that, nothing to report. I'm used to it now and wouldn't want anything else atm.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If you see any firefox 4 beta versions, they're utter disaster.
  4. Beta's don't interest me. I'll stick with stability.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm a Chrome user but I'm not going to be useful in the slightest...I don't know. shame

same category
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Getting used to something and then switching is a bitch, but Safari is one of the worst browsers out there, after internet explorer 6. Chrome is the way to go 'cause Mozilla firefox (also a great one) is getting very heavy and slow as its versions proceed, unfortunately.

On mobile devices, nothing beats Opera mobile / opera mini yet.

In which aspect is Safari worst? I heard it's heavy on windows.
    As for basic functions and usability, it's almost as good as Firefox for me.

On mac, Safari 5 was very fast when released, but lately it's getting slower when loading websites. Does it have something to do with trends of websites…?

My mobile phone is as old and useless as Galapagos fossils, so I have no chance to bother about browsers wink

I have no technical knowledge, so just my impressions...

Speed (mac): Chrome>>Safari 5>Firefox

Speed (win): Firefox>IE
    I never tried anything else… I can't install too many softwares to my lab's PCs wink

Bookmark management: Firefox>Safari>IE>>>Chrome

Usability of other functions: Firefox>=Safari=Chrome>IE

The amount of extensions/add-ons:
    Firefox>>>>>>>Safari>Chrome biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp