• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    ^
    Hmmmmm!? Mark, which E.T. soundtrack do you own, is it the original release re-record or the later released 20th anniversary original score tracks?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Is there any official announcement has been made by Maestro regarding composing for HP and the Deathly Hallows? Any news?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Sunil wrote
    Is there any official announcement has been made by Maestro regarding composing for HP and the Deathly Hallows? Any news?

None yet. That would be a dream come true though.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Oh! yes, its my good dream. Good dream always come true. I have foreseen that i am picking up the deathly hallows CD composed by John Williams. smile
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    They're still in talks I think. Let's keep our fingers crossed for JW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I hope so but the last two films have received very "un-Williams" scores. If that was David Yates's preference (rather than Nicholas Hooper's) then I can't see Williams doing them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    JW is a very versatile composer... I think he and Yates might get along ok. Perhaps Williams will take a darker approach for the first park (bit like War Of The Worlds) and then classic Williams action music for the finale.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    ^
    Hmmmmm!? Mark, which E.T. soundtrack do you own, is it the original release re-record or the later released 20th anniversary original score tracks?

Mark?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Oh, sorry shame I have the 20th anniversary release from 2002.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I thought so Mark smile

Try and get the original E.T. release which was a re-recording and you'll hear that 'new' concert arrangement.

It's almost always that 'old' album I return to rather than the 20th Anniversary release, it plays fantastically, one of the greatest film music albums of all time IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I thought so Mark smile

Try and get the original E.T. release which was a re-recording and you'll hear that 'new' concert arrangement.

It's almost always that 'old' album I return to rather than the 20th Anniversary release, it plays fantastically, one of the greatest film music albums of all time IMO.

yeah
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There is no score that is personally as preciious to me as E.T.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Yikes, I can't believe I didn't know that already shocked
    Thanks for enlighting me smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Y'know, I did the most stupid thing. When the first expanded version of ET came out, I thought "yay! - expanded=better" (hard to believe I was ever so naive) and sold my copy of the shorter release, which is by a considerable margin the best ever release of that score. But now I don't have it any more. cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Y'know, I did the most stupid thing. When the first expanded version of ET came out, I thought "yay! - expanded=better" (hard to believe I was ever so naive) and sold my copy of the shorter release, which is by a considerable margin the best ever release of that score. But now I don't have it any more. cry

I did the same mistake with Arnold's GODZILLA just a year ago or so, which is even stupider considering my distaste for C&C 99% of the time. Now I have even sold off the 2CD set and have NO GODZILLA music in my collection. I aim to re-find the promo version some day.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I love that Godzilla 2 disc release. In fact I'm gonna play it soon again. Thanks for reminding me Thor. I had the promo too but I had no problem whatsoever letting it go. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Have a look around, I do see the odd copy from time to time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    I love that Godzilla 2 disc release. In fact I'm gonna play it soon again. Thanks for reminding me Thor. I had the promo too but I had no problem whatsoever letting it go. smile

You should have given it to me! smile I would have traded you the 2CD set for the promo.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I believe I wasn't a member here yet so you didn't know about it when I sold it on eBay. Tough luck there mate. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

I too am one of the people who don't believe that always the more=better, under any circumstance, when it comes to film music at least.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. If Deathly Hallows was just one film, I could see Williams coming back and just reprising a bunch of his old themes while throwing in one new one for good measure. The score would be welcomed and liked for the most part because it ties everything together thematically.

But there are two films for Deathly Hallows and it would be much more difficult to get away with doing just that for both. I always sorta considered Chamber of Secrets as a score that was phoned in. Basically reprising themes from the first film and throwing in one new main theme with some altered action cues. It had only been a year since composing the music for Philosophers Stone and I could see where a movie following the same structure, characters, direction, and so on could limit the creative juices. To the ears the score was pleasing, but not very original. With new direction and more time between films, I think that's why we got such creativity and thematic explosion that was PoA.

So if Williams came back, I could see Deathly Hallows part 1 being on par of PS and POA while part 2 more resembles the score to CoS.

One thing is for certain, Deathly Hallows Part 1 will not end with Harry's wonderous world playing triumphantly in the credits. Part 2, sure, but the halfway mark is going to be forshadowing doom. Perfect for some new themes. DH1 is going to be (whoever the next composer is) the playground for last minute experimentation.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009 edited
    I sometimes wonder if the Williams topic in this forum would be DEAD if it wasn't for his Harry Potter music? I mean, don't get me wrong....it's fine and all (and PRISONER OF AZKABAN is one smokin' album!), but it's really of marginal interest to me compared to the other stuff. Why was there no talk about the excellent NONE BUT THE BRAVE CD from FSM a few weeks back, for example?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009
    Thor wrote
    Why was there no talk about the excellent NONE BUT THE BRAVE CD from FSM a few weeks back, for example?

Speaking for myself, I decided a while ago not to buy anything else by him from his "Johnny Williams" days. I've been burned too many times. I suspect this one is different, but in the absence of any reviews I don't think I can justify taking the gamble (there is nothing by him before The Cowboys I have ever even vaguely liked).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Why was there no talk about the excellent NONE BUT THE BRAVE CD from FSM a few weeks back, for example?

Speaking for myself, I decided a while ago not to buy anything else by him from his "Johnny Williams" days. I've been burned too many times. I suspect this one is different, but in the absence of any reviews I don't think I can justify taking the gamble (there is nothing by him before The Cowboys I have ever even vaguely liked).

Well, whatever floats your boat etc. However, he has a pretty varied resume pre-COWBOYS. It's not all cheesy comedy jazz (if that is the sound you so dislike)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I do dislike that, and also intensely dislike all the Lost in Space (etc) stuff. And that's probably all I've heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009 edited
    I have to say though, I wish there HAD been some discussion of None but the Brave which may allow me to decide whether to buy it or not. Over at FSM there's the customary thread where everyone appears to be masturbating while typing (nothing else seems possible for FSM forum members when discussing FSM CDs) so that is of no value whatsoever. It's a pity (and almost unbelievable) there are NO websites which offer reviews of this sort of thing any more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I did the same mistake with Arnold's GODZILLA just a year ago or so, which is even stupider considering my distaste for C&C 99% of the time. Now I have even sold off the 2CD set and have NO GODZILLA music in my collection. I aim to re-find the promo version some day.

spin Coo-f__king-coo! spin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

I too am one of the people who don't believe that always the more=better, under any circumstance, when it comes to film music at least.

Don't believe that 'more = better'?

Whadda nutjob, one can never eat enough meat. lick

Oh?...film music? Well, why didn't ya say???
  4. sorry to take us back to Potter, but may just say, about the whole two-films-for-one-book idea: that's dumb. When 300 pages of the book is spent bickering in the forrest I think this should be the least likely candidate for a two part film of the last 5 books. That has nothing to do with John Williams. May his beard always be perfectly trimmed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    They'll probably cut down the camping bits to a montage sequence and pay more attention to the plot details hopefully.

christopher wrote
    May his beard always be perfectly trimmed.

biggrin