• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010
    Panthera wrote
    What is Horner's worse score?

Personally? Thunderheart.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I haven't even built up the courage to listen to that one yet!

Of the ones I've heard, I'd say Humanoids From The Deep is my least favourite Horner score... in fact, it's not a favourite at all.
  1. I like Thunderheart actually.

But stay away from The Forgotten.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I like Thunderheart actually.

But stay away from The Forgotten.

I like In The Name of The Rose so, y'know, horses for courses and other cliches etc.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I haven't even built up the courage to listen to that one yet!

Of the ones I've heard, I'd say Humanoids From The Deep is my least favourite Horner score... in fact, it's not a favourite at all.

Humanoids, IMO, is a great score ( but it isn't! ) compared with Thunderheart.
  2. I've only listened to Unlawful Entry once... and I do not wish to listen a second time. vomit
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    I've only listened to Unlawful Entry once... and I do not wish to listen a second time. vomit

Entertaining film. I can't remember the score at all ( and I don't own it ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010 edited
    I heard COMMANDO within it's Godawful film, and I thought both film and score to be laughably bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    I heard COMMANDO within it's Godawful film, and I thought both film and score to be laughably bad.

COMMANDO is what it is, and can be enjoyed for that, I think. Tarkovskij it's not.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BobdH wrote

Both score and film are AWESOME! I love Horner's urban sound with those steel drums banging away and the film is a comic book romp. Totally over the top with some classic Arnold one liners!

Matrix: Remember, Sully, when I promised to kill you last?
    Sully: That's right, Matrix. You did.
    Matrix: I lied.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    vomit wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010 edited
    Well, I know it's supposed to be silly, over the top and fun, but while I saw the film I had forgotten Horner had scored it and thought it was done by some mediocre, long forgotten dude who had delivered a horribly dated and simple, unmemorable score. I was genuinely surprised to find out it was James Horner who had done it, but my opinion stands: dated, simple and unmemorable. The film itself is just amateurish and stupid (not to mention corny) at best, I'm sorry to say smile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010
    BobdH wrote
    I was genuinely surprised to find out it was James Horner who had done it, but my opinion stands: dated, simple and unmemorable.

I don't think it's unmemorable. It's hard not to notice it!

BobdH wrote
    The film itself is just amateurish and stupid (not to mention corny) at best, I'm sorry to say smile.

That's the whole point!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote

Matrix: Remember, Sully, when I promised to kill you last?
    Sully: That's right, Matrix. You did.
    Matrix: I lied.

-Erik-

lol

I really have to watch that one again. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's a very stupid but very enjoyable film ( it's got tons of mistakes for nerd spotters ) and the score, very much in Horner's 48 Hours mode is highly enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What Timmer said.
    The film is an exercise in testosterone-driven gun play, but I enjoy the score very much: taut, suspenseful, evocative, exciting. On of the finest "eighties sound" scores out there (and I have a really low tolerance towards those).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Ah it's a typical gung-ho eighties flick that demanded its viewers to not have a brain. To make something like this means at least someone on the production team had one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Ah it's a typical gung-ho eighties flick that demanded its viewers to not have a brain. To make something like this means at least someone on the production team had one.

Actually I would argue it had more 'brains' than some of the action fodder fed to us in recent years.....2012, 10,000 BC, Alien V Predator etc etc wink
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010
    Holy crap!

http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/page/2/

James Horner to score "The Karate Kid" remake... who did that come along?
    That's about the last scoring assignement I would have expected...

Curious, what he's coming up with...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BasilB wrote
    Holy crap!

Holy Crap... who would have thought

wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Erik Woods wrote
    BasilB wrote
    Holy crap!

Holy Crap... who would have thought

wink

-Erik-

Sorry! Missed that entre... still an odd assignement...
  5. It's so odd it's worth repeating, just for oddity's sake. shocked

What should we expect from this score? What will it sound like? I really don't have the slightest clue.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's so odd it's worth repeating, just for oddity's sake. shocked

What should we expect from this score? What will it sound like? I really don't have the slightest clue.

I hope he doesn't shakazulu fluteness or whadafack it's called route he goes down.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010
    I hope it has stereotypical Asian instruments because I never get bored of the sound.
  6. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's so odd it's worth repeating, just for oddity's sake. shocked

I hope he doesn't shakazulu fluteness or whadafack it's called route he goes down.

Shakazulu lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010
    Shakuhachi? Anyway, excitement for Horner's assignment aside, i don't see this score / film working to be honest wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's got Jackie Chan in it, of course it's going to be shit.

Yeah yeah, "you never know"... but it will be shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin punk
  7. On the subject of underrated scores, I nominate Flightplan. I'm just madly in love with those crashing pianos....All 10 of them!! :D :D :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I prefer the classic Horner crashing piano's in Sneakers and The Pelican Brief! Better recordings, too.

-Erik-