• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    What about TWILIGHT: New moon?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Haven't managed to finish the album yet. But I'm sure I'd like the action stuff.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote
    Sounds like there'll be a bit of energy in Desplat's THE GHOST WRITER score (for Polanski) if the music used for the trailer (definitely Desplat) is any indication:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzxj_grPyUA

I hope Varese pull a Largo Winch and release the score in Feburary despite no confirmed US release date for the film. That music sounded fantastic.

Christodoulides wrote
    What about TWILIGHT: New moon?

Steven wrote
    Haven't managed to finish the album yet. But I'm sure I'd like the action stuff.

I think it's a nice theme but unless it's being played it's quite a snoozer aside from the two or three really short action bits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The theme is what turned me off. It's nice, but if that's the spine of the score, I have little interest in hearing the rest of the 'body', so to speak. I'll give it another try sometime soon though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd not call the thematic material of New moon, snoozer.

Steve, i gather you're a fan of his GOLDEN COMPASS, LARGO WINCH, The Golden Compass and Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, I'm a fan of both Golden Compass and The Golden Compass. And indeed Largo Winch.

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium I will need to give another listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh screw you and your inherent automatic spelling and grammar error detection system!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What, my brain? biggrin kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Sounds like there'll be a bit of energy in Desplat's THE GHOST WRITER score (for Polanski) if the music used for the trailer (definitely Desplat) is any indication:

I'm really looking forward to this film. The novel is excellent. I don't really see how anyone who doesn't know about the circle of corruption surrounding our former Prime Minister could get much out of it, though, unless the source material has been changed a lot. The novel's essentially a long dig at the various extremely dodgy goings-on of Tony Blair, without really naming them, so unless you know about them anyway then it's hard to imagine this is for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Yes, I'm a fan of both Golden Compass and The Golden Compass.

Fuck me, THAT was patronizing! shocked
    Surely that deserves some kind of medal?
    (Or Erik's whippy icon)
    tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Patronizing? confused It wasn't meant to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

Nah, you're just a misunderstood sweetheart, aintcha? wink
    No matter. We love you anyway. kiss

(What? I'm continental! I show my feelings! I kiss men! I cry! I laugh! I eat French cheeses!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    kiss men! I eat French cheeses!)

All is good but those 2 are dangerous my friend. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    HELL YES

I hope this happens!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    punk
    I loved the work he did for Largo Winch. I hope it's true!!!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Has Desplat done any sequels before? Are they better/worse/rehash?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Nah, you're just a misunderstood sweetheart, aintcha? wink
    No matter. We love you anyway. kiss

(What? I'm continental! I show my feelings! I kiss men! I cry! I laugh! I eat French cheeses!)

Personal bubble.... PERSONAL BUBBLE! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Personal bubble.... PERSONAL BUBBLE! crazy

Huh? confused Well. As you like it.. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You know, personal bubble. The surrounding area that I don't want people being too close to. Get away from me you cheese-eating man-kissing weirdo!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I want a bubble! One that can go on lava without me boiling to bits.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Anthony wrote

Can't remember any sequels he's done where he scored the original.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Anthony wrote

Can't remember any sequels he's done where he scored the original.

Although the first twilight wasn't his of course, his score for the sequel is ages better. If that's an indication.
  2. Anthony's question has to do whether Desplat tends to use all his good ideas on the first film in a series, and then not be able to go far in the sequel. I suspect he would have done fine with the GOLDEN COMPASS sequel (since he planned the score as though there were two sequels), but with LARGO, there probably wasn't a huge probability that there would be a sequel. I guess provided the sequel goes to new places than Cuba, Croatia, Hong Kong (the locations in the original), and there's a new femme fatale involve, they would draw new ideas out of Desplat.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010
    THE GHOSTWRITER
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Alexandre Desplat

Ewan McGregor
    Pierce Brosnan
    Kim Catrall
    Olivia Williams

The New Film From Roman Polanski

THE GHOSTWRITER tells the story of a former British Prime Minister, Adam Lang (Pierce Brosnan), who is holed up on an island off the Eastern seaboard of the U.S. in midwinter, writing his memoirs. When his long-standing aide drowns, a professional ghostwriter (Ewan McGregor) is sent out to help him finish the book. The anonymous ghost writer is quickly drawn into a political and sexual intrigue involving Lang’s wife, Ruth (Olivia Williams) and his aide (Kim Cattrall). Hanging over Lang is the threat of a war crimes trial and a mysterious secret from his past that threatens to jeopardize international relations. The cast also includes Jim Belushi, Robert Pugh and Tom Wilkinson. THE GHOSTWRITER is based on the novel The Ghost written by best-selling author Robert Harris. It won the International Thriller Writers’ Award for best novel of 2008. Harris joined director Roman Polanski in adapting the book for the big screen.

Academy Award nominee Alexandre Desplat (The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button) has created a suspenseful and captivating work, which recalls the classic thriller scores of the legendary Bernard Herrmann.

Summit Entertainment opens THE GHOSTWRITER nationwide on February 19.

Additional music by Atli Örvarsson, Heitor Pereira, Henry Jackman, James Dooley and Ramin Djawadi...oops, shouldn't have mentioned these

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 007 2
    Release Date: 02/23/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Goody goody, can't wait!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Me neither, ordering as soon a Colosseum add it to their site.

Btw, was it confirmed or just assumed the music in the trailer was Desplat? It certainly did sound like him, but I just want to check that wasn't just another one of his scores?
  3. I've heard quite a few of them, and all of the thrillers, and it isn't one of those.
    Someone at FSM seemed to know for sure that it was his music. It might be safer to wait until it's known for sure what sort of score it is though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I'm really looking forward to this film. The novel is excellent. I don't really see how anyone who doesn't know about the circle of corruption surrounding our former Prime Minister could get much out of it, though, unless the source material has been changed a lot. The novel's essentially a long dig at the various extremely dodgy goings-on of Tony Blair, without really naming them, so unless you know about them anyway then it's hard to imagine this is for you.

Good to know. Did he admit more after he told they would have gone to Iraq anyway?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He'll be speaking in a few weeks but don't expect any revelations, it'll be the usual spin.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. jeezus, another Desplat, this guy is impossible to stop smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh