• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008 edited
    Demetris wrote:
    We have a saying here in Greece which actually rhymes in Greek but obviously doesn't in english wink

"Cold weather: a time for two (persons)"

I think in Canada they say 'Cold weather: time for a beard' wink

Hi Martin!! wave
    So summer has ended there as well? Getting prepared for the winter?

About the WSA concert... still haven't decided, for some reason I'm not very motivated to go book tickets and a room etc. Maybe because I have other things on my mind.

Plus, Demetris is acting suspicious about Soncinemad. Plus there is the Fellowship in London in April. Plus I want to do a weekend Groningen this winter (there will be an exhibition of JW Waterhouse)... maybe I have to take a look at our finances first and choose wisely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    I have a room in Ghent (my sisters student room). Not big, but enough space for a person or 3. Of you want, you can , though, comfort is low. smile

But indeed, perhaps prioritize what you want most. Ordering tickets via e-mail or phone, directly to the office or festival website (like Bob did after his struggling).
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008
    Bregje wrote
    Demetris wrote:
    We have a saying here in Greece which actually rhymes in Greek but obviously doesn't in english wink

"Cold weather: a time for two (persons)"

I think in Canada they say 'Cold weather: time for a beard' wink

Hi Martin!! wave
    So summer has ended there as well? Getting prepared for the winter?

About the WSA concert... still haven't decided, for some reason I'm not very motivated to go book tickets and a room etc. Maybe because I have other things on my mind.

Plus, Demetris is acting suspicious about Soncinemad. Plus there is the Fellowship in London in April. Plus I want to do a weekend Groningen this winter (there will be an exhibition of JW Waterhouse)... maybe I have to take a look at our finances first and choose wisely.

Two is always better- spoon or on either side!

Ha ha ha... Yes, the beard is there Bregje and just shlepped all the wood in the house last weekend.

Demetris- tell us more about Madrid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd love to, but i am not in a position to comment yet sad
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

Not even a little tiny clue? tongue wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

"It's not happenning." biggrin wink

No seriously, that would suck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That wouldn´t be a little tiny clue, that would be a major spoiler. tongue

and it would suck if Soncinemad 2008 doesn´t happens actually
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That wouldn´t be a little tiny clue, that would be a major spoiler. tongue

and it would suck if Soncinemad 2008 doesn´t happens actually

Well I think D would lose all his credibility if he hypes it by saying "I can't say anything!" and it just turns out to be cancelled. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Quote me one thing i said which indicates that there is definitely going to be a 2009 one, or where i hyped it up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    4 of the 5 concerts are sold out, including the Williams concert (3500 seats).
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bregt wrote
    4 of the 5 concerts are sold out, including the Williams concert (3500 seats).

Woah. Where are they holding that? I hope they're not doing like the WSA last year and inviting 90% of the people rather than actually selling tickets.

Christodoulides wrote
    Quote me one thing i said which indicates that there is definitely going to be a 2009 one, or where i hyped it up!

Oh come on. Your like a parent. The kid says "Did you buy my that toy car I always wanted?" and they reply "maybe" when really what they mean is "yes...but I'm still going to put on my best face and not confirm or deny anything". And that "maybe" is always a "yes".

Only evil parents say "maybe" when it's not real. tongue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008
    And you're just like a child then wink kiss
  1. He kinda is. How old are you, Ant? 19? smile biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, the light, upbeat, colorful spirit of the board! Love it smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He kinda is. How old are you, Ant? 19? smile biggrin

Yup. Most people at work think I've got about two years left before everything starts to suck. tongue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh my Ceiling Cat! Then i am already 5 years past the point where everything starts to suck!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well, does it? tongue

I'm in no mood for becoming a responsible person just quite yet. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i am quite responsible truth to be told, friends call me "family man" in laughter but granted this, no, i does not wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    Gabriel Yared, tribute to Anthony Minghella
    So, yesterday was the Yared concert with a tribute to Minghella, the director he worked for 4 times, in a very close collaboration. He introduced the evening with a speech about Minghella and why they got along so well (Minghella was a musician himself, so he understands Yared more than others...), followed by a part of a documentary in which Anthony and Gabriel talk about their collaboration.

Then the concert. I loved it. I don't know that much about Yared, probably only half of what was played, but it was a very captivating performance. Yared's piano was in the middle of the podium, surrounded by the chamber orchestra, conducted by Brossé. So, like only 20 people on the podium prooving that a big orchestra isn't always needed to give one goosebumps.

Some excellent, really beautiful pieces were played. My favourites included the tango from La lune dans le caniveau, which was just superb. The confrontation of the bandeon and the solo violin was awesome! Then of course, one of his most famous themes, the one from Betty Blue, which was a bit the constant during the concert as it appeared a couple of times in between his other themes, and at the end, morphing into the end of Breaking and Entering. About that last one, that was based upon the main theme with piano and soft strings, very recognizable. Camille Claudel was another surprise, what a theme this one has!

All in all, perhaps a bit short (80 minutes, without intermission) but it was worth it. Again a concert of a very high standard, adding to the stack of fantastic events Ghent has organized for film music. Again, all those not there (who were able to), were so wrong.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Excellent! Any parts from message in a bottle too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Excellent! Any parts from message in a bottle too?

Nope. Only "seeds" that lead to Minghella (Betty Blue, Le Caniveau, Camille Claudel, Wings of Wourage and L'Amant) and "fruits" from that collaboration (English Patient, Talented Mr Ripley, Cold Mountain and Breaking and Entering). smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    Thanks for that word. Now I understand wat he was saying, i heard shits or sheets spin

Yeah same here... wonderful experience. John Williams was good, but last night was probably the most absorbing concerts I had since I went to the WSA for the first time.

"Ada plays" played by the composer was like a dream come true... The soprano was chillingly beautiful. You know Yared likes to take his music and his craft very seriously, but he's a composer who really writes very refined too. The performances, as far as I'm aware, were perfect.

I just had his seminar today. I'll try to summarize what he said on the composers discussion board.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    Benjamin Wallfisch attends the WSA evening too.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    Pictures of Gabriel Yareds concert:
    http://www.filmfestival.be/features2.cg … edition=35
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008
    JNH is here! Sitting 3m from me! Next to Arnold! shocked
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008 edited
    WAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Please say to Arnold "The Cafe guy from Ubeda says hi". Trust me, see if he remembers me just from that! smile

These mystery guests really annoy me. Last year was Clint Mansell (and I'd NOTHING for him to sign), and if I knew JNH was making an appearance I so would have come.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Yeah, yeah... sad
    This week I was even thinking of going just for the socializing part, since the concert was sold out anyway. But I have no place for the kids to stay to begin with, so I just have to let it go! Maybe that's the most frustrating thing of all: I could be there in 90 minutes if I wanted to!
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    We just met Trevor Jones and he was so enthousiast that he sat down, talked and handed out signatures. Apparently JNH is here to support Badalamenti. He also said he might do at concert one of the coming years. OW YEAH!

I also saw Umebayashi and he was very honoured that actually someone knew him. He couldnt talk much English though, so not a very smooth conversation. Mark Kilianis here too, very cool guy and hip.

What at good day so far!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Have you talked to Arnold at all? We've just got QOS released over here.

Ask him why no Bond theme??? tongue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Bregt wrote
    We just met Trevor Jones and he was so enthousiast that he sat down, talked and handed out signatures. Apparently JNH is here to support Badalamenti. He also said he might do at concert one of the coming years. OW YEAH!

I also saw Umebayashi and he was very honoured that actually someone knew him. He couldnt talk much English though, so not a very smooth conversation. Mark Kilianis here too, very cool guy and hip.

What at good day so far!

Enjoy, Bregt! punk
    And let us know about everything!

To get in the festival mood I've been playing Trevor Jones live in Madrid this morning. lick