• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008
    DemonStar wrote
    Nice review, William! wink beer

Thank you! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well done William beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    Well done William beer

Thanks, Timmer. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I concur with my fellow doctors. Well written, sir. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    I concur with my fellow doctors. Well written, sir. smile

Thanks, as well, Steven! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008 edited
    New interview over at bsx

In detail:

Expanding the Star Wars Universe: Kevin Kiner in the Clone Wars

This week we interview Kevin Kiner whose masterful incarnation of John Williams makes the animated feature, The Clone Wars, very much a part of the Star Wars oeuvre. Kiner, one of the most underrated composers in Hollywood whose 25+ year career has resulted in numerous fine works, discussed his evocation of Williams and why scoring The Clone Wars was so important to him. We also discuss several of Kiner’s other scores including Wing Commander, Leprechaun, and CSI: Miami.

Full article at:
    http://www.buysoundtrax.com/larsons_soundtrax.html
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    Masterful incarnation? Very much part of the Star Wars oeuvre? Expanding the Star Wars universe??

I'll have whatever they're smoking please. cool rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Masterful incarnation? Very much part of the Star Wars oeuvre? Expanding the Star Wars universe??

These points and more are addressed at

http://www.movie-wave.net/titles/clone_wars.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

These points and more are addressed at

http://www.movie-wave.net/titles/clone_wars.html

Very good review, i agree 100%

A couple of notices:

1) i really liked how you included (and expanded upon) all the possible counter-arguments the current wave of trend that defends EVERY SINGLE THING that gets out as long as it's a new release - shot and will continue to repeat each and every-time at the face of a reasonable reviewer each time they dare dispute the said brilliance of each and every new release.

2) As many of those (read the bsx interview and score description, or the DEATH RACE thingy over at the other site or think of how Tyler Bate's 300 and himself were presented at various large websites / radio shows when the film and score got out) articles are getting out PRAISING and declaring as UNDERRATED / OVERLOOKED film score Gods people that should clearly never be characterized as such, i couldn't help but to feel thrilled by the following fragment:

" The ethnic (and occasional rock) elements would be unwelcome in any case, but it's the orchestral parts which dominate, and I can't help but think another composer could have done a better job. Take Joel McNeely's Shadows of the Empire - you can instantly tell it's Star Wars music, yet you can also tell it's written by Joel McNeely and not John Williams. I'm surprised McNeely didn't get this gig - I had always assumed he was the heir apparent, having been recommended by Williams for a couple of Lucasfilm projects in the past - and perhaps Kiner was just working under large constraints over what he could and could not do, but I hope this approach is abandoned before the next time the cow gets milked."

Before anyone of the new army jumps down my throat, consider this; how many TRULY talented and overlooked composers get tossed each day and lost in ignorance just because people who obviously (as proved by the facts showcased by the actual music they compose) DON'T deserve it get the assignments and the ridiculous praise? I can't help but to shiver when i see Haslinger or Bates or Kiner or you and the RC army getting the said praise while people like Cliff Eidelman, McNeely, Broughton, McKenzie and Johnston among dozens others equally gifted remain basically under-or even not employed at all?

COME ON PEOPLE (radio shows / film music journalists / websites included) have we completely lost the grip here? Unless you want to convince me that you're truly pleased and satisfied by this kind of constantly popping impersonal and soulless computer-generated scores on auto pilot that "just do their job and are simply serviceable" (as even people who defend them will admit about them) with which everyone will eventually stop dealing after a month or so and will gradually forget they even existed, then why the fudge do you condone and actually promote through your actions / writings / articles the spread and growth of such works and policies? Has everyone lost their taste and logic completely or are you all dancing the money / publicity dance? Have we all adjusted to and settle with the mediocrity of "just doing their job and being simply serviceable" scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Just read your comment above, Demetris, and I will comment on my part in this in a few hours. Stay tuned... You might not like what you are going read.... portions of it anyway.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Before you reply, bear in mind that i wasn't having you in mind when i wrote nor ACTUALLY playing the score on air 'cause you already made your sentiments clear (and on the on-air piece that was discussed with Ralph before); it's a logical thing to do firstly in order to continue doing what you do and support your professionalism and business and secondly in order to inform the buying public of what's out there.

It's actually elevating some composers and some works into levels that clearly aren't as the next big thing that bothers me and to which i object.

Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    "Fire in the hull!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Don't worry... this isn't going to get nasty.

First of all, I understand that you weren't neccsarily aiming your comments at me but I tink I should respond anyway just so you get my point of view on the matter. Now, I'm probably repeating myself here but what the hell...

My primary job as a film music radio producer/host is the promote film music. PERIOD! And in order to help promote the art form we love so much I have the co-operation of the record labels to send me albums to play on the show to assist me in my promotion of this art form. So, if a label sends something and if I don't like the score I still have an oblication to play the album. I play the album the labels gets a note from me, they see that I'm playing there music on the show and when that true masterpiece gets released down the road, they send that to me, and I play that on the program. You scratch my back I scratch yours.

Now, what's so great about being a radio host is that I can speak my mind honestly about the score... love it or hate it... while at the same time letting the audience make up there own mind about the score by playing not just 30 second snippets but full tracks for 15 minutes or so. Sure, there are probably occasions where only my on air rant has influenced the decision of the listener as to what to buy and what not to buy but that ultimately is THERE choice. Most of the time, I'm sure users skip the rant and get on with the music. Whatever... all that I know is that my show has helped listeners with there purchasing options.

However, there have been the rare occasions where I simply refuse to play a certain score on the show because I personally just can't play it. It would be a waste of my time. Is that fair to the listeners? Not sure. But when something like IRON MAN comes out I just can't for the life of me spend the time recording my voice, editing that speech down, then selecting the BEST TRACKS (if any) from a terrible album and then waste bandwidth and web space on such trash. Now, this hasn't happened much in the past 12 years but the score has to be truly bad for me not to even consider playing it on the program.

That brings me to Kiner's score to STAR WARS. I don't like it... but I'm sure there are a pile of film score nuts who do. And as you can tell by reading the forums here that that is true. So, as pointed out in a previous thread I gave my two cents about the score (some didn't like my rant wink ) and then I played 15 minutes of the score. That's ususally how things work for me on the program. And trust me, when I like something I also let the listeners know.

As you can see by going to my site that I am trying my very best to help promote Golden Age scores and the magnificent work of Charles Gerhardt by keeping an almost 3 year old program on line. I truly think it's one of the very best programs I've ever produced and is one of the most import film music radio series on the Internet right now, IMHO. There aren't to many click throughs to that show but I'm sure there are people who do find the page and are being introduced to this magnificent music for the very first time and I'm glad to play a tiny roll in that.

As for web sites and magazines. I think they also do a great job in helping promote all kinds of film music. Sure, a lot concentrate on the new releases but if you look at a site like James' he reviews 2-3 new releases with 1 classic score as well. Even Christian at Filmtracks is reviewing and re-writing all of his older reviews and presenting daily updates. So, I think there is a variety of options for film music fans out there.

As for the promotion of stuff like Death Race and Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Well, maybe if those two scores sell well... crap or not... maybe it will help those labels release more scores from the Universal vault (Intrada) or maybe help with expanded releases of more Star Wars music like the complete prequel scores.

Anyway, those are my two cents...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik, i agree with you 100%. Thanks for describing the said situation which has to do with you (and i am sure with other people in similar positions to yours) 'cause this is the exact opposite of what i was cauterizing there, i.e. those who open their mouths and talk BS in the altar of more money.

Your situation - i.e. filtering what you play / say and also make sure that along with something you put out for the people to hear you juxtapose your own view in a direct and ballsy way without indirect hints and pussy-driven behavior is EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what i am describing above and i don't want them to be mixed in misunderstanding. So thanks for clearing it up.

What i am strongly opposed to is articles and persons whose acts have - and continue to, aided hugely - even if they don't acknowledge it, into promoting false scores and false composer as the next big thing, especially since there are SO many new fans tuning in every single day and who are actually clueless about things (naturally and logically since they're just beginning) and look up to "those who know" and who are in position of promoting stuff, to find out about what's supposedly good in the business. These people, with their actions, might indeed fill their pockets with a couple of hundred more dollars but they also assist into creating false impressions that - since we are proven a very small community where composers and other professionals DO log into forums (most of the times under anonymity and for their own good), read reviews, read interviews, hear shows, see promotions etc etc, the industry is affected (even in smaller degree, but still) by this community as a whole and you should be cautious as to what you say.

Except if some people REALLY want to convince us that Tyler Bates' 300 or Haslinger's noise is the next big thing or Kiner is the new Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    What i am strongly opposed to is articles and persons whose acts have - and continue to, aided hugely - even if they don't acknowledge it, into promoting false scores and false composer as the next big thing, especially since there are SO many new fans tuning in every single day and who are actually clueless about things (naturally and logically since they're just beginning) and look up to "those who know" and who are in position of promoting stuff, to find out about what's supposedly good in the business.

I agree, Demetris. I like Kiner's The Clone Wars, but I know for a fact that it will never be rightly heralded as a masterpiece. It is just another score, which (though it utilizes a few) fails to present hardly any memorable (and almost certainly not recognizable) motifs. People like this, who falsely portray it as a masterwork wither have no clue whatsoever what they're talking about, or are being paid to put out stuff like this (the latter which I strongly oppose to).

EDIT: 1000th post! punk spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2008 edited
    If I'm not mistaken (which I hope I'm not), some of Kiner's music for the new Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated television series may be heard in the flash game found on this page. I'm really liking this, and already can't wait for a TV soundtrack release! punk
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2008
    It is a possibility if the music for the movie sells well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2008 edited
    Panthera wrote
    It is a possibility if the music for the movie sells well.

Actually, it's already been confirmed by this interview with Kevin Kiner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hurray!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hurray!

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    For those interested, some more of Kiner's music for the Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV show may be heard in the video on this page.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    As much as I support Star Wars' sanctity (and I do, like a true crazed fan), I want to give Kevin Kiner a break and point out how much I loved his score to "Madison". If only Clone Wars had sounded a bit more like that... Kiner himself probably took on this rock approach reluctantly, because he was told to.

J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    HeeroJF wrote
    Kiner himself probably took on this rock approach reluctantly, because he was told to.

I agree. Kiner has made it quite clear that it was George who laid out exactly how he wants The Clone Wars to sound. Not much Kiner could do about it. You just don't talk back to George Lucas, especially when you've just got the job. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    HeeroJF wrote
    ... I want to give Kevin Kiner a break and point out how much I loved his score to "Madison". If only Clone Wars had sounded a bit more like that...

How is Madison, anyways? I have not heard it. I take it it is good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008 edited
    Well, from what i remember, a bit Madizzzzzon wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, from what i remember, a bit Madizzzzzon wink

Do you just genuinely hate Kiner? rolleyes smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, at all. I don't feel like genuinely hating anyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, at all. I don't feel like genuinely hating anyone.

OK. Just wondering. Anyways, you find Madison to be a boring score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't remember much from it; that's an indication itself isn't it?