• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith

There's not many composers who could trump his previous two efforts, particularly when those two efforts were so fantastic, but it's done here.....boy is it ever!

Genius punk

punk punk punk

The Omen use to be my favourite of the three. I still don't know why to this day.

Same here. But it's really tough to choose...these scores are simply phenomenal.

I have no problem choosing, as great as the previous scores are Final Conflict is in a league of it's own.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: Practical Magic, Alan Silvestri and Michael Nyman (original score and rejected)
    Those are both quite lovely score! This new boot with both of them on it is really worth it. At first listen Silvestri's score seemed like it had more of a lovely thematic hook, but I feel Nyman's effort might eventually win out for being "smarter" music.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. Standard Operating Procedure by Danny Elfman

Wow, Elfman doing Philip Glass, and he gets away with it, much better than Hellboy 2 shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Standard Operating Procedure by Danny Elfman

Wow, Elfman doing Philip Glass, and he gets away with it, much better than Hellboy 2 shocked

I LOVE this score!!!! It's by far my favourite Elfman of the several recent years. Only Corpse Bride is better.

Previously Playing: The Matrix Deluxe Edition
    Yay!

NP: Igor, Patrick Doyle
    Just based on the first tracks this looks like it's headed for quite an amazing status. Is it just me who finds the irony in Patrick Doyle scoring both Igor and Frankenstein?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  2. Where's the irony?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I see the irony.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I just got the Indiana Jones soundtrack collection. It is indeed a great release. Plus, the sound quality makes a huge difference. One thing that bothers me though is the absence of the drum sequence on the bridge. Yet another reason to keep the bootleg. rolleyes

I also dislike how they divided up many of the tracks that just go together. Were they trying to make it look like they were releasing more music or something? Takes away a lot from the experience. sad
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    omaha wrote
    I also dislike how they divided up many of the tracks that just go together. Were they trying to make it look like they were releasing more music or something? Takes away a lot from the experience. sad

Could your lucky stars it's not a John Powell score. wink
  3. HeeroJF wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Standard Operating Procedure by Danny Elfman

I LOVE this score!!!! It's by far my favourite Elfman of the several recent years. Only Corpse Bride is better.

This is also a highlight of Elfman's modern scores for me. And to think some of us were writing him off on the basis of last year's THE KINGDOM! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    This is also a highlight of Elfman's modern scores for me. And to think some of us were writing him off on the basis of last year's THE KINGDOM! wink

Not just The Kingdom. I think I was ready to write him off for the bulk of his entire career for the past 10 years. With the odd exception of course, such as S.O.P.

omaha wrote

They did?!?? Gha! I HATE when they do that!!! Just like Anthony said, it's indeed that annoying John Powell method... Same thing they did with Phantom Menace, too...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Not just The Kingdom. I think I was ready to write him off for the bulk of his entire career for the past 10 years. With the odd exception of course, such as S.O.P.

....and WANTED.....and HELLBOY 2
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. HeeroJF wrote
    NP: Practical Magic, Alan Silvestri and Michael Nyman (original score and rejected)
    Those are both quite lovely score! This new boot with both of them on it is really worth it. At first listen Silvestri's score seemed like it had more of a lovely thematic hook, but I feel Nyman's effort might eventually win out for being "smarter" music.

I've had that 2CD boot for about three years now. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SHELTERING SKY - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Gorgeous! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    justin boggan wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

I've had that 2CD boot for about three years now. ;-)

This is different. It's a single-disc 89-minute release, and it's a pressed disc. Clearly from the same people who brought us Notting Hill/Arachnophobia, First Knight Expanded, Stuart Little and Eight Below/A Midnight Clear, just to name a few. I looove those releases. You really can't tell they're boots, other than the phony label tag. I'm always waiting with tremendous anticipation the next releases by these people, almost as much as I await the next Varese Club releases.

Christodoulides wrote
    ....and WANTED.....and HELLBOY 2

I disagree. I think those two are just kinda good. Not like the Elfman of old. I think S.O.P. harkens back to that Batman style we all fell in love with. I also think his Serenada Schizophrana symphony was right on cue in that regard.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Does this Eight Below one have any extra music on it? Or is it the same as the itunes release?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    S.O.P is Elfman doing Glass. Wanted and Hellboy 2 are more Elfman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Doctor Who: Series 3 - Murray Gold

There's some bloody good music here! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Oh, wow, The Power of One is one of the very best African-sounding scores if you ask me. I would even dare to say that it's way, WAY better than The Lion King even (but then again, I've never heard the expanded Lion King music).

For the African stuff, Power of One is perhaps a bit better than The Lion King. But for everything else, my vote goes for TLK. Do check out the TLK expanded boot sometime, hope you can stand the horrible mono sound in quite a lot of awesome tracks sad

If I was asked which sounds more African, I'd say it's The Power Of One. But The Lion King consists not only of African styled music. One of the great things of TLK is, I think, that African chorus and rhythms are blended into western orchestral/choral music (and Elton John's pop songs) so well, without being westernized too much. African stuff still remains as it is (Lebo M's role must be important on this matter), but it's not out of place in the whole score.

I think the music from The Stampede and Mufasa's Death sequence (To Die For) is a good example... tribal sound of South African choir & percussion rhythms blended into orchestra & London chorus. And it ends with classical-sounding quiet piece. But it's consistent.

(umm it's really difficult to describe what I think about my favorite of all, especially in a foreign language!)

Another great thing on TLK score is about emotions it has... but I could write an essay on that matter so I stop here. tongue

And the easiest way to hear the whole score of TLK... just watch the film! biggrin It works excellently.

NP: That.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP Hellboy 2 (Elfman)

one of my favourites of the year. And thanks to one of my girls i have the ORIGINAL CD.

(With The great Debaters, Sleuth, In the valley, Buckett List, Vantage Point...)

Next I will play: Basic Instinct (Goldsmith)

I have enough with the original album. But How it's one of my all time favourites scores.

The action stuff is terrific.....but the main theme....the main theme...Arabian sexual Nights!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    NP Hellboy 2 (Elfman)

one of my favourites of the year. And thanks to one of my girls i have the ORIGINAL CD.

PIIIIIIIIMP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    I think the music from The Stampede and Mufasa's Death sequence (To Die For) is a good example... tribal sound of South African choir & percussion rhythms blended into orchestra & London chorus. And it ends with classical-sounding quiet piece. But it's consistent.

For me, nothing Zimmer ever wrote can beat this and King of Pride Rock. Both of which have been butchered on the OST sad

NP: You-know-what biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    S.O.P is Elfman doing Glass. Wanted and Hellboy 2 are more Elfman.

Maybe that's why I'm not a true Elfman fan. I'd like to think of Batman 1 & 2, Edward Scissorhands, Black Beauty, Sommersby, Mission: Impossible, Mars Attacks, Dolores Claiborne and S.O.P. as "vintage" Elfman, while the rest is simply slightly sub-standard Elfman, but the more time passes the more I see the proper way to look at it is that all those titles are actually flukes and the "true" Elfman is the one that can be found in works like Instinct and Hellboy 2, therefore making me not the greatest fan ever, I guess. But that's okay, one can't be completely compatible with every single artist out there...

Comment on TLK: just based on those 16 minutes of score on the regular release I do agree that it has much farther range of emotions than The Power of One. "To Die For" is indeed more compelling emotionally than The Power of One, but that latter still sounds more African. Both scores reach areas that the other doesn't.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Either way, both scores deserve to be considered African sounding at various times. The Lion King is just better overall.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Panthera wrote
    Either way, both scores deserve to be considered African sounding at various times. The Lion King is just better overall.

I must be in the minority here, I've seen THE LION KING once, I remember thinking the score was okay but I've never heard or seen it since.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DemonStar wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Oh, wow, The Power of One is one of the very best African-sounding scores if you ask me. I would even dare to say that it's way, WAY better than The Lion King even (but then again, I've never heard the expanded Lion King music).

For the African stuff, Power of One is perhaps a bit better than The Lion King. But for everything else, my vote goes for TLK. Do check out the TLK expanded boot sometime, hope you can stand the horrible mono sound in quite a lot of awesome tracks sad

This makes me wonder... are there other scores out there which are along the same lines as The Power of One? I'm listening to it now and love it... and since I'm going to Africa next year on honeymoon I'm trying to find lots of music like this to get me in the mood.
  5. NP: The Four Trombones - LOST Themes

LOVE that project!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Southall wrote
    This makes me wonder... are there other scores out there which are along the same lines as The Power of One? I'm listening to it now and love it... and since I'm going to Africa next year on honeymoon I'm trying to find lots of music like this to get me in the mood.

A World Apart, by Hans Zimmer. It's the true inspiration for The Power of One and The Lion King. Maybe not as good, but clearly where Zimmer discovered his penchant for African music.

[Edited:]
    NP: North and South Book II
    Boy, along with Book I and the Karate Kid box set, this has been a healthy dose of Bill Conti in the past few months! I ain't complaining!! Now can anyone please pay attention to his masterful score to Wrongfully Accused???
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And JNH's DINOSAUR wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    And JNH's DINOSAUR wink

Definitely!

Some of the Dinos featured in that film are South American and yet no Pan Pipes!? confused wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    NP: The Four Trombones - LOST Themes

LOVE that project!!!

beer kiss

It didn't occur to me until I read this that there's actually an HOURS worth of music up there. shocked