• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Comand & Conquer - Red Alert 3 - Frank Klepacki

One part MV/RC, one part HeavyMetal/MetalCore, with a smidge of Yoko Kanno, all adding up to an engrossing listening experience. It's my first Frank Klepacki score and my second C&C score (after Tiberium War by Steve Jablonsky & Trevor Morris) and I'm quite surprised at how good it is. The action tracks does have that familiar "heard it before, I think" but it's so convicted to being so badass sounding that I just can't help but enjoy.

MV/RC fans should take a listen to it.

Pure metal rampage. Think of Conan the Barbarian crossed with Goldsmith's Kull, turn the volume and the distortion up and you have this! punk

One problem though: someone apparently decided that Dutch sounds really demonic, as the wildly over-the-top Hellish March (I've never heard a more insane mix of trash-metal stylings!) features, for no apparent reason, several instances of a sample of a Dutch drill instruction, delivered rather meekly in a distinctly southern-Dutch accent: "Geef acht!" ("Ten-SHUN" or "Ten HUT").

...I'm just not getting that Forces Of Doom kinda vibe Klepacki c.s. were aiming for here... biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    For a more traditional Indian sound, try listening to some Indian classical music, such as "Hindustani classical" or "Ghazals".

Can you recommend some artists/titles, Ravi?

I'm not that much into Indian Classical music, so I asked Dad. He recommends the albums of Jagjit Singh, Shankar Mahadevan, Lata Mangeshkar, Ghulam Ali, Pandit Jasraj, Bhimsen Joshi, Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia (instrumental flute works), Bismillah Khan (shehnai) and Ravi Shankar (sitar). Also try some "Carnatic music" albums by legends like M S Subbulakshmi, M Balamurali Krishna etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's other ridiculous stuff in it, like the "Greek" Mykonos stuff and other disturbing uderscore but if you exclude all that and just leave the metal material in it, it's a KILLER!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BASIC INSTINCT - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Fly Me To The Moon - Ramin Djawadi

First listen. I must say, not bad at all. It's not very original and fresh either, but still I'm enjoying it a lot! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote

First listen. I must say, not bad at all. It's not very original and fresh either, but still I'm enjoying it a lot! cool

Heard it once. I recall lots and lots of mickey mousing..am i right?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I prefer ol' blue eyes version! cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Sinatra you mean?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Sinatra you mean?

Who else!? punk cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LEGENDS OF THE FALL - James Horner

Cripes knows why I've let this one gather dust for so long? shame

Gorgeous GORGEOUS score! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    War Of The Worlds John Williams

Angry music for an angry mood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

How come?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

Don't worry.
    Of these things this too will pass.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Don't worry.

In an angry mood that's enough to make Stevie boy Hulk out! crazy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Don't worry.

In an angry mood that's enough to make Stevie boy Hulk out! crazy wink

Surprisingly that song works quite well!

I already hulked out, so I feel a little calmer now. But now I need a new phone. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote

Indeed. That main theme is sublime.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote

Indeed. That main theme is sublime.

I'd phrase it another way: the beauty of that score far transcends the mere construct of a theme or two. It's truly gorgeous all-over. And even though it's not inherently an action score, the beginning of "Samuel's Death" is still some of the most furious and effective action music Horner ever wrote, and that's saying something.

NP: Not Without Goldsmith's Daughter
    The new expanded release. It's really actually pretty good.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008 edited
    Tintin wrote
    Miya wrote

If I was asked which sounds more African, I'd say it's The Power Of One. But The Lion King consists not only of African styled music. One of the great things of TLK is, I think, that African chorus and rhythms are blended into western orchestral/choral music (and Elton John's pop songs) so well, without being westernized too much. African stuff still remains as it is (Lebo M's role must be important on this matter), but it's not out of place in the whole score.

I think the music from The Stampede and Mufasa's Death sequence (To Die For) is a good example... tribal sound of South African choir & percussion rhythms blended into orchestra & London chorus. And it ends with classical-sounding quiet piece. But it's consistent.

I think you are right about The Power of One being closer to the African sound. The Lion King does have a lot of popular music integrated with the score. I would qualify The Power of One has more "raw emotion". The Lion King has many powerful moments. This Land , To Die For and the king of Pride Rock. I really like the versions that Mark Mancina did for The Lion King Broadway which have a more organic sound, with less synthesizers. The singers are quite good too.

I really like the Broadway versions too. I even like Mark Mancina's orchestral music for the broadway version a lot also. I'd enjoy to hear even more of it, but the chances of that is even less likely than seeing The Lion King get an expanded release.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Miya wrote

This album had great influence on the Broadway version. Its album also contains more organic African sound than the original film version. It has several songs written in the African traditional style.

The Lioness Hunt is a good example.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkmCzeFp_hg

But it sometimes lacks dignity the original had... some songs were rearranged too comedic, and slow-paced The Stampede will annoy you if you're used to the original version. And Mancina's score for the last battle is vomit

NP: It. wink

I'd actually like to disagree. While I prefer Zimmer's music, I think Mancina's The Last Battle is good, especially when it incorporates Zimmer's theme. At first I didn't like it too much, but it grew on me.

DemonStar wrote

Ah, and I hate the Broadway score tracks slant Even the Stampede track has none of the power and emotion of its film version brother.

NP: TLK - HZ

Arghh. I think that track is good, especially for the context of Broadway. The show focuses more on the African sound than Zimmer did, and this track does through its stronger use of vocals.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008
    Miya wrote
    Tintin wrote
    I think you are right about The Power of One being closer to the African sound. The Lion King does have a lot of popular music integrated with the score. I would qualify The Power of One has more "raw emotion". The Lion King has many powerful moments. This Land , To Die For and the king of Pride Rock. I really like the versions that Mark Mancina did for The Lion King Broadway which have a more organic sound, with less synthesizers. The singers are quite good too.

He does good works on song arrangements. TLK movie/stage, Tarzan, Brother Bear... sometimes I prefer them to his scores.

Tintin wrote
    NP: Pride Aaron Zigman

A good score with a few tracks that features an african choir à la Lebo M. The underscore is more laid back though.

Which track has african choir? I'll check it out on...

there.

NP: StreamingSoundtracks.com biggrin

3 tracks:

16- listen to your biceps (orchestra, choir and percussion)
    29- Final real Jim Montage (orchestra, choir and percussion)
    30- Choir of Piano. ( only choir track)

NP Wilde Debbie Wiseman
    It's been a long time since I listened to this disc. The theme for Constance is so elegant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: RING - Hans Zimmer

It's a dark, organic, gorgeous and boreboding score. I LOVE how the sparse orchestrations focuses on contrasting dense strings and clean tones. The nervous, twitchy cello motif is a nice touch. The official album does make for a interesting and engrossing experience (until the 4 remixes).
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    One problem though: someone apparently decided that Dutch sounds really demonic, as the wildly over-the-top Hellish March (I've never heard a more insane mix of trash-metal stylings!) features, for no apparent reason, several instances of a sample of a Dutch drill instruction, delivered rather meekly in a distinctly southern-Dutch accent: "Geef acht!" ("Ten-SHUN" or "Ten HUT").

...I'm just not getting that Forces Of Doom kinda vibe Klepacki c.s. were aiming for here... biggrin

LOL. Thanks for the trivia. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Played last night: Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

This may sound weird, but.... I always said Zimmer is my favorite composer, and have been a member of Hans-Zimmer.com forum for almost one year, but it's my first time I listened to this score as a whole album!

Of course I've heard some tracks separately on streaming, or on TV (Japanese TV music editors love MV scores so much... but thankfully I've never seen the infamous Iron Chef tongue ). But yesterday it reminded me how I like Zimmer style! So as soon as finishing it I played the last track from The Lion King bootleg. biggrin

NP: Some Disney songs by Alan Menken

Now I'm changing my mood.

Be our guest! Under da sea! That's how you knoooooooooow! tongue

and Hellfirrrrre
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Tintin wrote
    Miya wrote
    Tintin wrote
    NP: Pride Aaron Zigman

A good score with a few tracks that features an african choir à la Lebo M. The underscore is more laid back though.

Which track has african choir? I'll check it out on...

there.

NP: StreamingSoundtracks.com biggrin

3 tracks:

16- listen to your biceps (orchestra, choir and percussion)
    29- Final real Jim Montage (orchestra, choir and percussion)
    30- Choir of Piano. ( only choir track)

Thank you! I'll check them out later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Panthera wrote
    Miya wrote

This album had great influence on the Broadway version. Its album also contains more organic African sound than the original film version. It has several songs written in the African traditional style.

The Lioness Hunt is a good example.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkmCzeFp_hg

But it sometimes lacks dignity the original had... some songs were rearranged too comedic, and slow-paced The Stampede will annoy you if you're used to the original version. And Mancina's score for the last battle is vomit

NP: It. wink

I'd actually like to disagree. While I prefer Zimmer's music, I think Mancina's The Last Battle is good, especially when it incorporates Zimmer's theme. At first I didn't like it too much, but it grew on me.

DemonStar wrote

Ah, and I hate the Broadway score tracks slant Even the Stampede track has none of the power and emotion of its film version brother.

NP: TLK - HZ

Arghh. I think that track is good, especially for the context of Broadway. The show focuses more on the African sound than Zimmer did, and this track does through its stronger use of vocals.

I can't stand the electric guitar on the last battle... But I understand there is limitation to perform The Stampede on the stage.

I like Broadway version (both music and stage itself) overall, even if I have some complaint. But for me it's different thing from the original.

And I just can't stand some snobby Japanese people (non score fans) praising the stage version too much and saying "Julie Taymor made a great stage out of a bad movie blah blah blah" crazy

Where are you living Panthera, by the way? I think they're touring around the United States.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote

I can understand that, but still it just doesn't agree with me for some reason tongue I'll stick to the original movie's stuff wink

Christodoulides wrote

Yeah, there's quite a lot of it in there wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LEGEND - Jerry Goldsmith

Forget the odd dodgy synth sound this is quality scoring of the highest order, Zimmer , Elfman and they're ilk could learn a lot about how to write a REAL choral score listening to this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I remember being initially disappointed when I first got Goldsmith's Legend album and didn't hear any of the Tangerine Dream music I'd heard in the film!!! spin dizzy spin Can you believe it? I was so young and flighty then.. ahhh...

Mind you, the 'Dream's music isn't bad either, and I was *still* heavily disappointed when I later got the Varese release of their music to hear that the main theme didn't get a decent presentation anywhere on the disc. That 80+ minutes boot that came out many years later fixed that problem. cheesy

"Legend" or "How Tom Cruise's Ass Defeated Evil"
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    I remember being initially disappointed when I first got Goldsmith's Legend album and didn't hear any of the Tangerine Dream music I'd heard in the film!!! spin dizzy spin Can you believe it? I was so young and flighty then.. ahhh...

Mind you, the 'Dream's music isn't bad either, and I was *still* heavily disappointed when I later got the Varese release of their music to hear that the main theme didn't get a decent presentation anywhere on the disc. That 80+ minutes boot that came out many years later fixed that problem. cheesy

"Legend" or "How Tom Cruise's Ass Defeated Evil"

When I'm in the mood I quite like 'Dream's' Legend score which is very simplistic but also very catchy.