• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008
    Miya wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Either way, both scores deserve to be considered African sounding at various times. The Lion King is just better overall.

I must be in the minority here, I've seen THE LION KING once, I remember thinking the score was okay but I've never heard or seen it since.

You have to see it again! It's the best movie I've ever seen!

Yeah, I know, I'm a fangirl. wink

Uhhh...errrr....ummmmm Okay....one day! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    omaha wrote
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Southall wrote
    ... and since I'm going to Africa next year on honeymoon

How awesome! What's the plan?

A week's safari in Kenya, then a week on the coast at a somewhat secluded little beach resort. Looks fantastic!

Sounds great dude!
    Hope you have a great time.
    I'm going to want to hear about the trip. Not everything though... it is your honeymoon. wink

smile Being sure a pure fellow, I am looking forward to finally consummating my relationship of seven and a half years. I'll be sure to keep you all updated.

You ol' rascal you! beer wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Timmer wrote
    Miya wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Either way, both scores deserve to be considered African sounding at various times. The Lion King is just better overall.

I must be in the minority here, I've seen THE LION KING once, I remember thinking the score was okay but I've never heard or seen it since.

C'mon Tim It will bring back memories of your numerous traveling expeditions! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    A week's safari in Kenya,

Bag me an elephant! I'll be home for supper!

Afraid the days of the queen mum bagging rhinos and referring to the locals as "fuzzywuzzies" is long gone mate! slant

Gawd bless'er moon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tintin wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Miya wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Panthera wrote

C'mon Tim It will bring back memories of your numerous traveling expeditions! wink

I've seen nothing of Africa except two journeys to Morocco, music like 8MM, Black Hawk Down and the like fit better better for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    This makes me wonder... are there other scores out there which are along the same lines as The Power of One? I'm listening to it now and love it... and since I'm going to Africa next year on honeymoon I'm trying to find lots of music like this to get me in the mood.

Honeymoon in Africa? That's great! smile

Even though it's not film score, has anyone heard Rhythm Of The Pride Lands, "Inspired by" album of The Lion King?

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/disco_detail.php?id=626
    (yeah the fanatic is me who posted the credits list tongue )

It's mostly Lebo M's album, so it's more African than the film's score, but some songs are based on Zimmer's themes from the movie. Lea Halalela is my favorite. It and Busa are also on Zimmer's Wings Of A Film album but the originals are much better!

This album had great influence on the Broadway version. Its album also contains more organic African sound than the original film version. It has several songs written in the African traditional style.

The Lioness Hunt is a good example.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkmCzeFp_hg

But it sometimes lacks dignity the original had... some songs were rearranged too comedic, and slow-paced The Stampede will annoy you if you're used to the original version. And Mancina's score for the last battle is vomit

But Shadowland, which is based on Lea Halalela, is really great song... and the show itself is amazing, even though it's different from the original film.

(What happened to Lebo M's official site btw? slant )

NP: It. wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Panthera wrote

Perhaps because I grew up watching it, the movie's in my top 10 favourites list. But I've always loved the storyline. The score has been my #1 since the beginning. Actually a lot of great score is hidden under the heavy SFX and dialogues in the movie (such as during the final battle sequence) and, IMHO, those 4 short, heavily edited tracks on the OST are nowhere enough to get a good impression of the score. sad

Actually my favourite African stuff in The Lion King is from the track Under The Stars, so soothing and serene with those charming vocals (before the "tribal feast" sequence) along with the emotional power of that scene in the movie, just brings tears to my eyes. ...To Die For and King Of Pride Rock (the expanded film versions) are IMO probably the best stuff ever by Zimmer, just in my opinion.

Ah, and I hate the Broadway score tracks slant Even the Stampede track has none of the power and emotion of its film version brother.

NP: TLK - HZ

And going to decide my playlist for the day now...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Tintin wrote
    I think you are right about The Power of One being closer to the African sound. The Lion King does have a lot of popular music integrated with the score. I would qualify The Power of One has more "raw emotion". The Lion King has many powerful moments. This Land , To Die For and the king of Pride Rock. I really like the versions that Mark Mancina did for The Lion King Broadway which have a more organic sound, with less synthesizers. The singers are quite good too.

He does good works on song arrangements. TLK movie/stage, Tarzan, Brother Bear... sometimes I prefer them to his scores.

Tintin wrote
    NP: Pride Aaron Zigman

A good score with a few tracks that features an african choir à la Lebo M. The underscore is more laid back though.

Which track has african choir? I'll check it out on...

there.

NP: StreamingSoundtracks.com biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    I'm just a little perplexed.

Why?

Well, at first I was a little perplexed as to what people were actually listening to.
    I now know.
    Now I'm wondering why it's called The Four Trombones?

It's very impressive, but I'm also wondering what it's doing on a John Powell website?

1. I can't be bothered to spend more money on a different URL for 4 pages.
    2. I explained the name above. It's about the music of Lost - the Lost orchestra has four trombones in it. Music + 4 + Trombones??? Make sense now. dizzy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    A week's safari in Kenya,

Bag me an elephant! I'll be home for supper!

Afraid the days of the queen mum bagging rhinos and referring to the locals as "fuzzywuzzies" is long gone mate! slant

Gawd bless'er moon

Prince Philip's still around though!

Thanks to everyone for their African music recommendations. Much for me to check out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    omaha wrote
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Southall wrote
    ... and since I'm going to Africa next year on honeymoon

How awesome! What's the plan?

A week's safari in Kenya, then a week on the coast at a somewhat secluded little beach resort. Looks fantastic!

Sounds great dude!
    Hope you have a great time.
    I'm going to want to hear about the trip. Not everything though... it is your honeymoon. wink

smile Being sure a pure fellow, I am looking forward to finally consummating my relationship of seven and a half years. I'll be sure to keep you all updated.

I also read between the lines you have a MainTitles table at the wedding party. Is that correct?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Little Mermaid - Alan Menken

I know many score fans were displeased when he "robbed" the Oscar... but hey it's not his fault. And this his first score is good, even though it's not that great. The Main Titles is so beautiful both on the album and in the film.

And what a great songwriter he is! Part Of Your World is the most beautiful song he's ever written, in my opinion.

And who doesn't smile when listening to Under The Sea!? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Songs Of The Sea: The Regatta Suite - Jeff Rona

Oh my god, is this really Jeff Rona!?

*checks*

Apparently so. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Little Women Thomas Newman

My flatmate just asked me if this was Kung Fu Panda. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: A League Of Their Own (Complete) - Hans Zimmer

Swing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote

Kung Fu Panda and Little Women? What your flatmate heard by his ears? confused
  1. David Arnold - Indepedence Day

Great bombastic fun to a great if ridiculous film. Thematic material is just amazing. And so is the action.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote

My dad makes just as embarrassing and ridiculous mistakes when it comes to identifying scores. Sometimes I like to play a kind of Guess The Score Game with him just to make me laugh and cringe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    I also read between the lines you have a MainTitles table at the wedding party. Is that correct?

Pink champagne for me. please, and a spiked looza for the lad next to me.

NP: Land Of The Tiger - Nicholas Hooper
    Lovely, soothing music.
    While I am unable to get into "proper" Indian" music -I've tried, but I just can't get the hang of it...especially the singing! rolleyes - I *do* love Indian influences in film music! There's just a certain exotica surrounding Indian instruments and the "Indian sound" that I find utterly entrancing and enchanting, ever since I first became aware of it in Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom, back in '84.

It's possible that growing up in the seventies helped, as pop music had much incorporated "the Indian sound" in the late sixties and early seventies, so maybe there was some subliminal recognition, but whatever the case: I like it. I really like it.
    And this score really puts the sound to good use.

Highly recommended to those looking for symphonic, melodic, introspective music with an exotic flavour. punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

Lovely, soothing music.
    While I am unable to get into "proper" Indian" music -I've tried, but I just can't get the hang of it...especially the singing! rolleyes - I *do* love Indian influences in film music! There's just a certain exotica surrounding Indian instruments and the "Indian sound" that I find utterly entrancing and enchanting, ever since I first became aware of it in Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom, back in '84.

It's possible that growing up in the seventies helped, as pop music had much incorporated "the Indian sound" in the late sixties and early seventies, so maybe there was some subliminal recognition, but whatever the case: I like it. I really like it.

Highly recommended to those looking for symphonic, melodic, introspective music with an exotic flavour. punk

Martijn, have you ever heard Ryuichi Sakamoto's LITTLE BUDDHA?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wasn't he that Peruvian hammond organ player who did a James Last/lounge style cover of M.C. Hammer's Can't Touch This back in '98?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Wasn't he that Peruvian hammond organ player who did a James Last/lounge style cover of M.C. Hammer's Can't Touch This back in '98?

That's the one! wink

Now answer the question. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Doom (Williams)

Broken bridge beer beer beer beer punk punk

All the themes together!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

That's the one! wink

Jeez, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

No, haven't heard it. Heard of it, of course, but never heard the score proper. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

That's the one! wink

Jeez, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

No, haven't heard it. Heard of it, of course, but never heard the score proper. shame

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    NP: LAIR (JOHN DEBNEY)

Videogame action music cannot get any bigger than this. Truly massive sounding cues are intertwined with fantastic choral moments. But maybe not enough of these more calm moments, even CutThroat Island had its moments of blowing off steam, it was all nicely balanced. However the themes remain fantastic in their various incarnations and it's still Debney giving more than a few nods to his breakthrough score. Bring on LAIR II: Dragon's Breath... Nah I just made that up. cheesy

4.5 STARS Corrected!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

Lovely, soothing music.

I love that score! punk

For a more traditional Indian sound, try listening to some Indian classical music, such as "Hindustani classical" or "Ghazals". Trust me, don't let all this Bollywood rubbish ruin your impression of Indian music! wink

NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

I'm rather a little too attached to it today smile biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DemonStar wrote
    For a more traditional Indian sound, try listening to some Indian classical music, such as "Hindustani classical" or "Ghazals".

Can you recommend some artists/titles, Ravi?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    For a more traditional Indian sound, try listening to some Indian classical music, such as "Hindustani classical" or "Ghazals".

Can you recommend some artists/titles, Ravi?

I have some cassettes from India & Nepal that I still play from time to time that are excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Miya wrote
    And who doesn't smile when listening to Under The Sea!? biggrin

Sebastian the Crab sounds like Principal Kuno from Ranma ½.

As for other African choir music, I've just adored the main menu song of Civilization IV so much for the past few years that I've actually taught myself to sing it, just by phonetically absorbing the lyrics. Check it out, I loaded a recording of it on my site (the original piece that is, NOT my singing!):

http://www.musicalotaku.com/Civ4OpeningMenu.mp3

NP: The Wrong Box, John Barry
    Sounds good to me.

Played before: Copkiller, Ennio Morricone
    Edgy, lots of walking bass, kinda hard to appreciate, but you recognize the maestro's style through and through.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me