• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    And JNH's DINOSAUR wink

Definitely!

Some of the Dinos featured in that film are South American and yet no Pan Pipes!? confused wink

biggrin

Post of the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Four Trombones?
    Hour's worth of music?

Eh? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    NP: The Four Trombones - LOST Themes

LOVE that project!!!

beer kiss

It didn't occur to me until I read this that there's actually an HOURS worth of music up there. shocked

And my browser plays them automatically, one after another. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Four Trombones?
    Hour's worth of music?

Eh? confused

Yeah, what?
  1. Martijn wrote
    Four Trombones?
    Hour's worth of music?

Eh? confused

http://www.johnpowellcomposer.com/fourt … /index.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Is it all in 96kbps?
  2. NP: Hellraiser (Christopher Young)

Delicious horror music for this time of day (late evening). Where are the days when this kind of score was still composed in a traditional thematic way, opposed to the repetitive uninspired kind we get nowadays. Young had some creative ways of scaring the crap out of me when he composed this, and it all sounds very intruiging from start to finish. Doesn't the main theme just give you the chills? The whole sound of the score and its sequel is fantastic!! We need more of this kind of scoring.

4 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Timmer wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Either way, both scores deserve to be considered African sounding at various times. The Lion King is just better overall.

I must be in the minority here, I've seen THE LION KING once, I remember thinking the score was okay but I've never heard or seen it since.

You probably are, along with those rabbits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    ... and since I'm going to Africa next year on honeymoon

How awesome! What's the plan?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think they plan to get married.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Is it all in 96kbps?

What's the problem? Do you really want to spend ages downloading little clips?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Four Trombones?
    Hour's worth of music?

Eh? confused

Thank, but I'm even more confused now.
    Anthony has been matching the CD tracks to the episodes or something? (holy jesus...someone doesn't need to sleep...or eat...or work...). So what's four trombones?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Four Trombones?
    Hour's worth of music?

Eh? confused

Anthony has been matching the CD tracks to the episodes or something? (holy jesus...someone doesn't need to sleep...or eat...or work...). So what's four trombones?

Pfft. Matching the CD tracks to episodes is easy. I'm listing every single theme and motif ever written for the show. tongue wink

Four Trombones is just the name of the page, as the entire brass section of the Lost orchestra consists of...four trombones.

(Btw Ralph, I've just updated!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Is it all in 96kbps?

I think it works just fine.

Martijn wrote
    Anthony has been matching the CD tracks to the episodes or something? (holy jesus...someone doesn't need to sleep...or eat...or work...).

Yeah, something like that... ^^ (and I´m quite happy someone doesn´t need to sleep...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Is it all in 96kbps?

Didn't realise they were clips. I thought they were whole tracks - obviously not.

So people are listening to just the clips? I don't get it?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Is it all in 96kbps?

Didn't realise they were clips. I thought they were whole tracks - obviously not.

All those clips are the various themes and motifs used in Lost. They are listed under the episodes in which they first appear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

GOD, I'm relieved to hear you say that.
    I thought it was me.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

GOD, I'm relieved to hear you say that.
    I thought it was me.

What are you guys complaining about? There are a lot of themes in Lost, and a lot of people who don't know what they all are. This is a big index of them. I'm sure D, Marselus and Ralph will back me up here in seeing the point of it all. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not complaining, I'm just a little perplexed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    I'm listing every single theme and motif ever written for the show. tongue wink

shocked
    shocked to the explode th degree
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    I'm just a little perplexed.

Why?

Martijn wrote
    Anthony wrote
    I'm listing every single theme and motif ever written for the show. tongue wink

shocked
    shocked to the explode th degree

It's not that bad you know. You just watch as usual, but pay a little more attention wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    Southall wrote

A week's safari in Kenya, then a week on the coast at a somewhat secluded little beach resort. Looks fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    A week's safari in Kenya,

Bag me an elephant! I'll be home for supper!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Southall wrote

A week's safari in Kenya, then a week on the coast at a somewhat secluded little beach resort. Looks fantastic!

Sounds great dude!
    Hope you have a great time.
    I'm going to want to hear about the trip. Not everything though... it is your honeymoon. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    I'm just a little perplexed.

Why?

Well, at first I was a little perplexed as to what people were actually listening to.
    I now know.
    Now I'm wondering why it's called The Four Trombones?

It's very impressive, but I'm also wondering what it's doing on a John Powell website?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    omaha wrote
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Southall wrote

Sounds great dude!
    I'm going to want to hear about the trip. Not everything though... it is your honeymoon. wink

smile Being sure a pure fellow, I am looking forward to finally consummating my relationship of seven and a half years. I'll be sure to keep you all updated.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Southall wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Oh, wow, The Power of One is one of the very best African-sounding scores if you ask me. I would even dare to say that it's way, WAY better than The Lion King even (but then again, I've never heard the expanded Lion King music).

For the African stuff, Power of One is perhaps a bit better than The Lion King. But for everything else, my vote goes for TLK. Do check out the TLK expanded boot sometime, hope you can stand the horrible mono sound in quite a lot of awesome tracks sad

This makes me wonder... are there other scores out there which are along the same lines as The Power of One? I'm listening to it now and love it... and since I'm going to Africa next year on honeymoon I'm trying to find lots of music like this to get me in the mood.

Wow, that sounds like fun! There is nothing I can think of that sounds like The Power of One, it is quite unique. I would suggest L’Odyssée de l’Espèce by Yvan Cassar. For me, this is the quintessential african score with The Power of One. It has emotion, depth and continuity despite the varied material offered. This score is more dramatic than lets say The Lion King- A totally different beast. It underlines the anthropological side of Africa. So you won’t hear "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" in here! The underscore is scattered throughout the 50 minutes of music presented on this disc and features a choir and the orchestra, les Archets de Paris. There are many songs with many different singers all worth listening to. The only "joyous" track is sung by Baaba Maal whos voice has hope and soul. A little instrumental gem ends the disc. This music was a real discovery for me, caught me off guard completely and still does the trick after many repeated listenings. Highly recommended. You might also check Wild Africa by Christopher Gunning. It is very well written and leans on Morricone’s style once in a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    omaha wrote
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Southall wrote

Sounds great dude!

smile Being sure a pure fellow, I am looking forward to finally consummating my relationship of seven and a half years. I'll be sure to keep you all updated.

...what?

(I mean I get it. But I also don't.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Timmer wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Either way, both scores deserve to be considered African sounding at various times. The Lion King is just better overall.

I must be in the minority here, I've seen THE LION KING once, I remember thinking the score was okay but I've never heard or seen it since.

You have to see it again! It's the best movie I've ever seen!

Yeah, I know, I'm a fangirl. wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Miya wrote

If I was asked which sounds more African, I'd say it's The Power Of One. But The Lion King consists not only of African styled music. One of the great things of TLK is, I think, that African chorus and rhythms are blended into western orchestral/choral music (and Elton John's pop songs) so well, without being westernized too much. African stuff still remains as it is (Lebo M's role must be important on this matter), but it's not out of place in the whole score.

I think the music from The Stampede and Mufasa's Death sequence (To Die For) is a good example... tribal sound of South African choir & percussion rhythms blended into orchestra & London chorus. And it ends with classical-sounding quiet piece. But it's consistent.

I think you are right about The Power of One being closer to the African sound. The Lion King does have a lot of popular music integrated with the score. I would qualify The Power of One has more "raw emotion". The Lion King has many powerful moments. This Land , To Die For and the king of Pride Rock. I really like the versions that Mark Mancina did for The Lion King Broadway which have a more organic sound, with less synthesizers. The singers are quite good too.

NP: Pride Aaron Zigman

A good score with a few tracks that features an african choir à la Lebo M. The underscore is more laid back though.