• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2008
    Lost is not badly written, but it is compelling. (Particularly season 4.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's so badly written it's unbelievable. I was tempted to ask if any of the writing staff has gone beyond their teenage years, but actually suspect that even when combined, they haven't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's not badly written at all (this coming from a Medium fan). The drama side of Lost is its strength concerning the script. I don't like that it's hyped, it's tedious, especially on this forum, but I do think it's an excellent show which manages to keep your interest during every episode and every scene in every episode. I'm up to episode 9 of season 4, and this is one of the most fascinating series I have ever watched.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I really don't understand why LOST has such a fan base here? My girlfriend loves it too, there's no accounting for taste rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2008 edited
    Because it's good. As I said, I don't like the hype it receives, people won't shut up about it (or at least I dislike the crazy fanboy speculations and theories)... but it is an excellent show - though clearly not for everyone.

I like it for its drama, I watch it for the characters. The mystery of the island aspect is a plus for me. The production values are also some of the best I've seen, if not the best I've seen in any TV show. It's pure escapism, and I think that's part of the show's widespread appeal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...plus it has Kate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The reason I think Lost is badly-written is that the whole thrust of the show is based upon seemingly-random turns of events. There is no narrative build-up to them and consequently can be no emotional pay-off. I watch because I want to know what happens next, but I know that what happens next is unlikely to have much to do with anything that's happened so far. Perhaps by the time it's over, all these things will be explained, but it's hard to see how they can be explained by anything other than supernatural mumbo-jumbo, which would be very disappointing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Those who don't like the random mysteries left unexplained by Lost would probably adore Medium. Love that show. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...oh right... um... Zimmer.... Angels & Demons...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is this the Lost Zimmer thread?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think it should be the whatever-the-hell-we-want thread! biggrin
  1. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've never heard of Medium, though it does describe the size of underpants I used to buy when I was 18. (Things have changed since then.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Medium is every anti-Lostite's wet dream. Shit gets explained all the time, and the scripts are astounding. It's on its fourth (and best) season. I couldn't recommend it enough!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Medium is every anti-Lostite's wet dream. Shit gets explained all the time, and the scripts are astounding. It's on its fourth (and best) season. I couldn't recommend it enough!

Until you mentioned it I'd never heard of it.

What's it about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm shocked both of you have never heard of it!?

It's about a psychic medium who works for the attorney's office in Phoenix and solves various murders and crimes with the help of cryptic dreams and dead people. On top of that, it's also a brilliant family drama. Serious drama for grown ups. Explaining the premise really doesn't give it any justice, and this is MUCH better than Ghostwhisperer with Jennifer Love Hugetits.
  2. Explaining shit is a lost medium. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Because it's good. As I said, I don't like the hype it receives, people won't shut up about it (or at least I dislike the crazy fanboy speculations and theories)... but it is an excellent show - though clearly not for everyone.

I like it for its drama, I watch it for the characters. The mystery of the island aspect is a plus for me. The production values are also some of the best I've seen, if not the best I've seen in any TV show. It's pure escapism, and I think that's part of the show's widespread appeal.

What's wrong with talking about Lost? I don't see anyone filtering the "fanboy" (i am strongly against the word and its implications) raves over the Indiana Jones thread or whenever something that has to do with Williams or Goldsmith comes up smile

But i agree, it IS a very well-written show, very clever and engaging and one should see first before judging (like i guess goes for everything anyway).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    ...plus it has Kate.

inLove
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote

It's about a psychic medium who works for the attorney's office in Phoenix and solves various murders and crimes with the help of cryptic dreams and dead people. On top of that, it's also a brilliant family drama. Serious drama for grown ups. Explaining the premise really doesn't give it any justice, and this is MUCH better than Ghostwhisperer with Jennifer Love Hugetits.

I hate Medium. The fact that NBC kept renewing that show, while cancelling the brilliant Journeyman, still confound me to no end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Medium is every anti-Lostite's wet dream.

I don't get the shit behind this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

What's wrong with talking about Lost? I don't see anyone filtering the "fanboy" (i am strongly against the word and its implications) raves over the Indiana Jones thread or whenever something that has to do with Williams or Goldsmith comes up smile

But i agree, it IS a very well-written show, very clever and engaging and one should see first before judging (like i guess goes for everything anyway).

D, I don't think anyone here is judging the show without seeing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

I hate Medium. The fact that NBC kept renewing that show, while cancelling the brilliant Journeyman, still confound me to no end.

I sense bitterness. (It's a gift I have.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think I saw one episode of MEDIUM once. Found it utterly and unequovically boring. For a brilliant series around the same concept, check out the old Lance Henriksen/Chris Carter series MILLENNIUM. Now THAT was quality stuff right there!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You've seen ONE episode? Wow. Truly you have an informed opinion on all four seasons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    You've seen ONE episode? Wow. Truly you have an informed opinion on all four seasons.

I don't. But I don't watch much TV anyway, and have to REALLY, REALLY like something in order to follow it. Of course there's the everlasting pleasure of sitcoms that are run and rerun constantly such as SIMPSONS, KING OF QUEENS, SEINFELD etc., and then the occasional drama series of high quality - like LOST or 24. But if it doesn't hook me on SOME level in the first episode or pilot...well, cheerio cheerio goodbye to you!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Shame. It's a great show. But then if the first episode wasn't your thing, no point in trying to convince of otherwise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have a tendency to like series that are cancelled all too quickly, though, so I don't know if that says something about my taste going against the norm or about the quality - things like EARTH 2, INVASION, SURFACE, TWIN PEAKS (didn't wrap up properly!), SPACE: ABOVE AND BEYOND.

I just don't hope the same thing happens to BATTLESTAR: GALACTICA.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    I just don't hope the same thing happens to BATTLESTAR: GALACTICA.

Battlestar ends at Season 4, so only 10 episodes left! There's gonna be a small spinoff but I think that's about it.
    Kazoo