• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009
    Typical of what, exactly?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote

when any toolbag has nothing constructive to contribute... rolleyes

In context of the movie, with themes of CERN/Antimatter and the Illuminati, the sampled choir and electronics work to subvert all of those dirge and religious ideas from the first movie's score. Heck, the track "Science and Religion" has the Joshua Bell solo on top of a layer of synth work and it works. The effect is pretty evocative and somewhat captivating. I don't know if it'll work for the movie, but we'll wait and see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lp wrote
    Martijn wrote

Well, good to see you're keeping a sense of humour about things. wink

In context of the movie, with themes of CERN/Antimatter and the Illuminati, the sampled choir and electronics work to subvert all of those dirge and religious ideas from the first movie's score.

I think you may read a little too much in what's really not much more than a hodge-podge thriller. Zimmer isn't really the composer of choice for any subversion, sublimination or insinuation. In fact, in the interview posted earlier he himself states in so many words that he composed this score like the first film hadn't existed at all. "How else can we keep fresh?"
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    lp wrote
    Martijn wrote

Well, good to see you're keeping a sense of humour about things. wink

In context of the movie, with themes of CERN/Antimatter and the Illuminati, the sampled choir and electronics work to subvert all of those dirge and religious ideas from the first movie's score.

I think you may read a little too much in what's really not much more than a hodge-podge thriller. Zimmer isn't really the composer of choice for any subversion, sublimination or insinuation. In fact, in the interview posted earlier he himself states in so many words that he composed this score like the first film hadn't existed at all. "How else can we keep fresh?"

Yet he uses the same themes? Hmmm? Trust me when I say that I'm not reading into this. I can't afford it. Hans said it's about science and religion. How is it about those contradiction? Listening to the music, it seems like he's taking all of those ideas from the first movie, the dirge, the the religious discovery stuff, the "heavenly" ideas, and turned them into a conversation about science and religion. The fact that this movie is a chase movie is so clearly evident in the score, but it doesn't change the overall religious synthetic sound of the score as oppose to the more worldly religious aesthetic of the first one.

BTW, I can handle snarky comments, but seriously, just because it's a forum doesn't mean we can't have a serious conversation without resulting to smart ass responses.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I wish Horner had scored this film, I'd love to have heard some religiousy music from Mr. Horner.

Me too. But even more so JOHN WILLIAMS.

Indeed. There is no...and I mean NO....living composer who can do this better than him.

Exactly, I believe we are in 100% agreement beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lp wrote
    it doesn't change the overall religious synthetic sound of the score as oppose to the more worldly religious aesthetic of the first one.

A fair enough assessment.
    I've seen the first one and will probably at some point see this one as well.
    Though the score to the first one isn't very dear to me, it should be interesting to see if indeed the more technological sound you describe is indeed employed in this manner.

At this point I've neither heard the score nor seen the film so I'm just speaking rather academically I'm afraid. smile

BTW, I can handle snarky comments, but seriously, just because it's a forum doesn't mean we can't have a serious conversation without resulting to smart ass responses.

I just saw it as poking a bit of fun.
    Made me smile, but then obviously I have absolutely nothing invested in either the score or the film (or the story for that matter).
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    lp wrote
    it doesn't change the overall religious synthetic sound of the score as oppose to the more worldly religious aesthetic of the first one.

A fair enough assessment.
    I've seen the first one and will probably at some point see this one as well.
    Though the score to the first one isn't very dear to me, it should be interesting to see if indeed the more technological sound you describe is indeed employed in this manner.

At this point I've neither heard the score nor seen the film so I'm just speaking rather academically I'm afraid. smile

Made me smile, but then obviously I have absolutely nothing invested in either the score or the film (or the story for that matter).

I read this book and it wasn't so bad in term of story. It's no Fahrenheit 451, but it's also one of the few books I've read that happened to end up being a movie scored by Hans Zimmer. It's an interesting convergence. Kinda like how the Michael Crichton books-turned-movies got scores by my favorite composers...
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Martijn wrote

Well, I certainly didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2009
    fommes wrote
    Martijn wrote

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2009 edited
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1189217 … nd_demons/

The movie reviews says clearly Howard and his writters tries much more to make a rollercoaster ride (and they succed), than the tedious non-stop talking of th first movie. So....that's why Zimmer score is a "pop corn".

Driven by a furiously urgent Hans Zimmer score complete with operatic Omen-style choirs and punctuated by a set of gruesome killings straight out of the Inquisition
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I don't know if anyone wrotte the press realease from SOny Classical

http://www.cinemusic.net/2009/05/07/zim … ns-on-515/

Since Angels & Demons is equally about religion and science, Zimmer represents religion with the combination of orchestra and chorus and used electronics to denote science. As he put together the orchestra for the recording, Zimmer sought out the best and hired violinist Joshua Bell. Says Zimmer, “Joshua played like an angel with his violin framed by the contrasting starkness of the electronics. He added such beauty and grace to the music, and such depth to the characters. He is an extraordinary artist.”

Howard says, “There’s nothing formulaic about the way Hans thinks about the score,” adding that Zimmer’s music always “suits the sound that the film calls for.” In this case, Zimmer echoed the cinematic theme of hidden meanings by playing a musical game. As a nod to the symbologist character, Zimmer hid a five-note musical ambigram in the score. Whether or not anyone figures it out remains to be seen, but one thing is certain; as Howard says: Zimmer is “a fantastic storyteller.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Howard says, “There’s nothing formulaic about the way Hans thinks about the score,” adding that
    Zimmer’s music always “suits the sound that the film calls for.”

I think that's something everyone can agree on, as a general rule for Zimmer's music. Fits the movie like a glove (except for King Arthur some might say, but i thought the silly pop-corn stuff that was the movie got the kind of raw, loud and all over the place score that it deserved wink )
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I finished listening to it and it's really nice. Very nice blend of synth and orchestra/choir, and the violin solos are simply gorgeous. The highlight is without doubt Science And Religion, the choir and violin sound so seamlessly supportive that it gave me goosebumps. There's a fair amount of action material here in Air and Fire, and I60 BPM and Black Smoke contain some very nice arrangements of strings over electronic beats. Election By Adoration is another excellent track with a great performance by Joshua Bell. 503 is a terrific reprise of Langdon's theme, but my only complaint is that it ends a bit too abruptly. IMO it could have been fleshed out a bit more and made more powerful. But it's effective and a great listen nonetheless. 4.5 stars out of 5!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Well...it's far from be 4,5 out 5, uh? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Twiddle, Nautilus. But urgent not on call. I sing the hypotenuse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I wonder if Zimmer sampled the Vatican bells for "Fire". tongue

"fire" it's the kick ass track of the score. With opus dei theme, the Anti-materia theme (160 bpm), Langdon's.....And How I said I love the werid sounds of bells and pizzacato.

"Black Smoke" is the" Bim Bash Smash" of Angels and Demons.
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    Nautilus wrote
    ....And How I said I love the werid sounds of bells and pizzacato.

Mmm...pizza! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ColSharpe wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    ....And How I said I love the werid sounds of bells and pizzacato.

Mmm...pizza! biggrin

With what topping? Loads of MEAT and a thin crust for me lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How I said, I too love pizza(cato).

ZimmerZimmerZimmerZimmer.... LostLostLostLostLostLost.... <rocking back and forth in my chair>
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    How I said, I too love pizza(cato).

ZimmerZimmerZimmerZimmer.... LostLostLostLostLostLost.... <rocking back and forth in my chair>

Think Pizza Steven, you can break it, trust me ( subliminal )>>>>>>>>>> pizzapizzapizzapizzapizzapizza<<<<<<<<<< ( subliminal )
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    lp wrote
    fommes wrote
    Martijn wrote

No, for it was far too inquisitive! We should have had the Spanish Casual Chat!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Anthony wrote
    lp wrote
    fommes wrote
    Martijn wrote

err.... ummm, I'll come in again....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2009
    alternate cd cover
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/images/ … mp;s=music
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Howard says, “There’s nothing formulaic about the way Hans thinks about the score,” adding that
    Zimmer’s music always “suits the sound that the film calls for.”

I think that's something everyone can agree on, as a general rule for Zimmer's music. Fits the movie like a glove (except for King Arthur some might say, but i thought the silly pop-corn stuff that was the movie got the kind of raw, loud and all over the place score that it deserved wink )

Sometimes I say to myself I won't get involved again... but then I read something like this... I cannot agree that Zimmer's music generally fits the film like a glove. His music plays - almost always - to me like a concept album based on the ideas of the film. If it fits the film - as happens rarely, and usually only in lighthearted films like comedy and animation - then I suspect it's more a coincidence than anything else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2009 edited
    You are an angel, James.

EDITED: anyway, I think Demetris is talking about the soundscape. The textures. The Ideas.

I can agree that almost in every case, Zimmer knows how create a unique sound that fits every movie very well. And I'm agree with you James, that Zimmer music is more made for an album than to score a movie (And that's why his albums are so great listens).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I saw the preview for this film the other day and have decided that neither the music nor the film has any interest to me.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ditto.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm looking forward to it very much - both film and score. DA VINCI CODE is one of my favourite Zimmers and currently one of my most-played soundtracks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    this movie review mentions ZImmer twice.

http://www.urbancinefile.com.au/home/vi … ;s=Reviews
  1. Anthony wrote
    lp wrote
    fommes wrote
    Martijn wrote

One of my favourite exchanges in a thread here in a while! punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am