• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2009
    White elephant?? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    ColSharpe wrote
    Cheap

Synonyms:

bad, base, bogus, catchpenny, cheesy, common, commonplace, crappy*, cruddy, dud, flashy, garbage, garish, glitzy, junky, lousy, mangy, mean, mediocre, meretricious, no bargain, no good, ordinary, paltry, poor, ratty, raunchy, rinky-dink, rotten, rubbishy, scroungy, second-rate, shoddy, sleazy, small-time*, tatty, tawdry, terrible, trashy, trumpery, two-bit, valueless, white elephant*, worthless

biggrin

My God, writing reviews of Zimmer scores has just become so much easier! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    But it is much easier to write "cheap" than, for instance "meretricious" smile - anyway, what does that word mean, I have never heard of it before...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    ColSharpe wrote
    Cheap

Synonyms:

bad, base, bogus, catchpenny, cheesy, common, commonplace, crappy*, cruddy, dud, flashy, garbage, garish, glitzy, junky, lousy, mangy, mean, mediocre, meretricious, no bargain, no good, ordinary, paltry, poor, ratty, raunchy, rinky-dink, rotten, rubbishy, scroungy, second-rate, shoddy, sleazy, small-time*, tatty, tawdry, terrible, trashy, trumpery, two-bit, valueless, white elephant*, worthless

biggrin

My God, writing reviews of Zimmer scores has just become so much easier! biggrin

Masterful biggrin cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    Southall wrote
    ColSharpe wrote
    Cheap

Synonyms:

biggrin

You're welcome!

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/cheap
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2009
    Southall wrote
    ColSharpe wrote
    Cheap

Synonyms:

biggrin

Cheap and undeserved pun, but clever.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2009
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    ColSharpe wrote
    Cheap

Synonyms:

biggrin

Cheap and undeserved pun, but clever.

Less of the "cheap" buddy....James gives them away for FREE! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Saw the movie yesterday, and the way the music worked in combination with the pictures on screen was just spectacular. Science & Religion is a great track as it is, but in theatre it will blow you away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2009
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Saw the movie yesterday, and the way the music worked in combination with the pictures on screen was just spectacular. Science & Religion is a great track as it is, but in theatre it will blow you away.

How's the movie like for someone who loved DA VINCI CODE, the movie and doesn't give a damn about the books?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2009 edited
    It´s a lot more action-oriented (as is the book); there is not much time for those lengthy explanation sessions that DVC dwelled about. As such, A&D is a faster movie, but it still has the same ingredients as DVC, just in different proportions. As a matter of fact, sometimes it feels a bit like 24: Rome. You half expect split-screens and digital clocks to appear. But there are still enough lectures about artistic and historical facts, a lot of hint-following, digging through books and stuff to keep you interested should the amount of action turn you off.

The scenery is just beautiful. The fact they weren´t allowed to film there seemed to have no effect whatsoever on the final product. If you´ve ever been in Rome, expect the exact same atmosphere you experienced there to be present in the movie. Some interiors (Pantheon, St. Peter´s Cathedral) seemed to be a bit larger than I remember, but it´s twenty-five years since I have been there, so there you go. In general, the movie captures the setting exactly as it is supposed to be. The scenes on St. Peter´s Square are pitch-perfect.

The fact that they changed some stuff from the book FOR THE BETTER doesn´t hurt, too. There are some scenes in the book that could have come over extremely silly on screen if done wrong, and I guess they didn´t want to take chances there and just skipped them, and I approve.

If you really loved DVC, I don´t think you´ll be disappointed, though since I don´t know what exactly turned you on, there is room for error here. Good Audrey is not part of the story. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    They've moved the release date into June out here, bother. No watching then for me as that is exam galore time. I guess I'll wait for the DVD.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    As a matter of fact, sometimes it feels a bit like 24: Rome.

And you've lost Demetris. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    As a matter of fact, sometimes it feels a bit like 24: Rome.

And you've lost Demetris. biggrin

That's what i was about to say!

The same thing was what turned me off in VANTAGE POINT too.
  2. You are turned off by a bit more action and urgency even if everything else that made DVC what it was is still there? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No. What i don't like is 24-ish antics. They're good in the original show that created them, but when they appear elsewhere you just know it's plain copy-pasting and a turn-off for me; not a major one i hope wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2009 edited
    Ehm, what I wrote was this:
    You half expect split-screens and digital clocks to appear.

But they don´t.

It´s just that some scenes are very fast and tense. That´s it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I won't purchase the CD or spend money to watch the film. Saw the previews and that was enough.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2009
    The wife and I will go and see this, we really liked the Da Vinci Code and the music is Superb.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I won't purchase the CD or spend money to watch the film. Saw the previews and that was enough.
    Thomas smile

May I ask why are you in this thread? When you clearly have zero interest in it?
  3. it's good it moves around faster than TDVC, but this one I'll just rent
    our home cinema is good enough to enjoy this one as well wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2009
    lp wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

May I ask why are you in this thread? When you clearly have zero interest in it?

Good point!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2009 edited
    lp wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

Actually, saying you are not interested is also a form of interest. It tells us just as much as saying "hey, I'm excited to see this".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Saw the movie yesterday, and the way the music worked in combination with the pictures on screen was just spectacular. Science & Religion is a great track as it is, but in theatre it will blow you away.

Which scene would that Science & Religion part be?

I saw the movie last weekend. I was surprised it was still in the theatre!

I missed the opening titles. I noticed in some movies I have seen that it is a trend to have some sort of opening scene before the opening titles, and that those scenes seem to get longer and longer. But it was 30 minutes into Angels and Demons that I thought, I don't think they will be shown anymore by now. Were there no opening titles or was I just not paying attention in the beginning?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009
    Still in theatres? shocked The film get's DVD / Blu-Ray release next week.

Oh, and hiya Bregje wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Is it worth to buy own DVD? because i haven't seen the movie yet.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sunil wrote

How about just renting it first or something?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote

I haven't seen it but using my common sense I would buy it if I were you.
  4. Bregje wrote
    Which scene would that Science & Religion part be?

[spoiler]The one involving a helicopter, a parachute, and a Big Bang.[/spoiler]

Were there no opening titles or was I just not paying attention in the beginning?

If you mean the actual movie title, if I remember correctly it was shown right at the beginning, after the three or more producing studio names were presented (the beginning of Track 2 on your score CD, if available). If you mean actual credits with actors names and stuff, I think they came at the end of the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Yeah! but i don't have that facility in my town. I got only two options either to buy original DVD or go for pirated one. Perhaps i should wait until the telecast on TV. That will do better. Because most of my DVD collections are like that. Nowadays, i don't get time to watch movies in theaters. I either watch it on DVD or on any movie channel. That's all. Thank you for your suggestion.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.